Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Over the air (OTA) update has never worked on 2018 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Over the air (OTA) update has never worked on 2018 Q7

I bought my 2018 Q7 in July of 2017. About a month after I bought it I took it in for some warranty work. The salesman that sold me the car said that they had a great manual that you could download over the air to the car. I tried several times to do that and I've never gotten anywhere with it. I always got the error message "Error accessing update server". So the next time I was at the dealers I asked the salesman about it and he said that he had heard there was a problem with Audi's servers but had no idea when it would be fixed.

After reading here about being able to update the NAV map I tried again last summer but still got the same error message "Error accessing update server". I took the car into the dealer about 6 months ago and brought this up to them. The mechanic said that it doesn't work anymore on the Q7's so he tried to get a USB stick with the update, couldn't find it so he told me that Audi doesn't support that anymore either (LAZY??).

This error occurs when the car is running, not running, primary phone hooked up without Android Auto, or with primary phone hooked up using Android Auto. I don't have Audi Connect but I've read here that you don't have to have that.

I go to System maintenance > System Update and select "Online Update" the MMI says that it's searching for update data then gives the error message "Error accessing update server". Does anyone have any ideas what I should do next? I never get any messages saying that an update is available or that an update occurred recently. I have not tried to download the update from Audi's website to a USB, I didn't even know you could do that until the other day when I started researching this.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if it's the same link as the Connect, but do you have the data package for the car? It may be an issue where your car has nothing to pull from.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You can download NAV updates OTA, but it's much faster on a memory card or USB stick. AFAIK, the manual has never been downloadable, of even installable, in spite of the space for it on MMI, and from what I can tell likely never will be. So you have a blank spot in MMI where a manual should be. Which us just another irritation comparing it to, for example, BMW's searchable and graphic-based in-car manual, already installed with the car.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I could never get the OTA update to work I always got the same error message even when I had the 6 month Connect Trial. However yesterday I did download the update to a USB stick and upgraded my NAV that way.