Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Is the panorama roof laminated or tempered glass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the panorama roof laminated or tempered glass?

In this euroncap test it looks like the panorama roof doesnt shatter. Is it laminated?

In comparison the x5 panorama is definately unsafe tempered glass:

Last edited by kip1; 03-20-2016 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:53 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Per yor original question, dunno, may have just been luck. I know some previous Audis had shattering problems. Maybe they modified how they make it.

On a side note the pedestrian head impact test near the end of the video was pretty neat where the hood pops up to soften the impact.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

No one knows??
Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All Q5/Q7 use Tempered on all glazing in the vehicle except rear windshield and front. Only the A6 and A8 have laminated side windows.

http://www.audi.de/dam/nemo/models/m...itfaden_EN.pdf
Old 03-21-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, Audi confirmed that panorama is tempered. However, as option Q7 has laminated front and side glass, rear is not, if tinted also rear side are not laninated.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not sure if that is an option in all regions. I have not seen that on a NAR build-sheet.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

In europe they are options PDJ and PDG.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if panoramic roof reduces noise insulation significantly when adding together with heat/sound insulating windows? I mean that sound insulation with these windows is very good. Will it become worse if panoramic roof will be added?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rimas.
I'm wondering if panoramic roof reduces noise insulation significantly when adding together with heat/sound insulating windows? I mean that sound insulation with these windows is very good. Will it become worse if panoramic roof will be added?
My thoughts exactly. I ordered the heated laminated front window and side windows. Then I found out if the rear windows are tinted Audi offers only non laminated windows in the rear. Wierd, so now only front side windows and windshield are laminated. So for me it would have been noisewise indifferent as I took tinted rear windows in tge etron order, but dont want a sunroof imploding on my children. But if you order non tinted rear windows with lamination, I bet you lose some sound insulation with the oano. In the Tesla I have a laminated pano.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kip1
My thoughts exactly. I ordered the heated laminated front window and side windows. Then I found out if the rear windows are tinted Audi offers only non laminated windows in the rear. Wierd, so now only front side windows and windshield are laminated. So for me it would have been noisewise indifferent as I took tinted rear windows in tge etron order, but dont want a sunroof imploding on my children. But if you order non tinted rear windows with lamination, I bet you lose some sound insulation with the oano. In the Tesla I have a laminated pano.
Therefore I'm going to order non tinted windows and apply an aftermarket tint. By the way - that was an advise of the local dealer if I'd like to have the best possible noise insulation. The demo car I've tried have had a pano and I liked it very much. But now I'm thinking that it might void laminated windows advantages.

Quick Reply: Is the panorama roof laminated or tempered glass?