Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Parking assistance front camera issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking assistance front camera issue?

hi folks. 2017 Q7 Pretige US version recently had number of failure messages displayed. Dealer said no hardware issues, just possible software glitch. They cleared all error messages and "said" updated software. What I noticed right now is that front camera is turning on when parking half of times. Front sensors are working 100%. Automatic front/rear camera assistance is checked off in settings.
Any ideas in what situation the front camera is not designed to feed video to MMI display and in what it does it automatically?
as you can see from attached image parking assist was engaged =the "P)))" button light came on automatically, but there is no video feed from any of the cameras. If I switch to reverse drive, then back camera and 360 degrees view will come up correctly, switching back to "D/S" will engage the front camera correctly.
Attached Thumbnails Parking assistance front camera issue?-img_3532.jpg  

Last edited by supplier; 05-19-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

That's just how it works. When the front sensors are automatically engaged due to getting close to something in the front, you only get the graphic, no overhead 360 view. You have to hit the P button (twice) or go into reverse to get the 360 view.

We've been trying to find a way to change this with coding, but no luck so far.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
That's just how it works. When the front sensors are automatically engaged due to getting close to something in the front, you only get the graphic, no overhead 360 view. You have to hit the P button (twice) or go into reverse to get the 360 view.

We've been trying to find a way to change this with coding, but no luck so far.
RickObe, first of all thanks for all your efforts on this forum. I'm a member of few photography forums and I know how much time it requires to be active contributor to the forum and to help new members. It's just philological for me - the more my confidence on a subject grows - the sooner I become contributor to the forum, rather than a "consumer". Thank you again.

I'm one of the people who read manuals . Q7 is my first car with a manual compacted into a single small brochure with small font. Even with my glasses I was lost in it. last night I was able to download Q7 manual in PDF format and now it's much easier for me to find some answers.

as per my question in OP. you probably right, but I was under impression before dealer updated software on my Q7, the front camera view was turning on automatically, when front sonic sensors were detecting the object on speeds under 6 MPH. I might be wrong, but I might not. There are 2 reasons I thing I might be not mistaken.

1. If you take a look at the image provided, the park assist button is lit, meaning the Park Plus system is engaged, but no video feed from front/side cameras.
2. the second reason is the wording in the manual on page 146:
Attached Thumbnails Parking assistance front camera issue?-p.146.bmp  
Old 05-20-2017, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by supplier
RickObe, first of all thanks for all your efforts on this forum. I'm a member of few photography forums and I know how much time it requires to be active contributor to the forum and to help new members. It's just philological for me - the more my confidence on a subject grows - the sooner I become contributor to the forum, rather than a "consumer". Thank you again.

I'm one of the people who read manuals . Q7 is my first car with a manual compacted into a single small brochure with small font. Even with my glasses I was lost in it. last night I was able to download Q7 manual in PDF format and now it's much easier for me to find some answers.

as per my question in OP. you probably right, but I was under impression before dealer updated software on my Q7, the front camera view was turning on automatically, when front sonic sensors were detecting the object on speeds under 6 MPH. I might be wrong, but I might not. There are 2 reasons I thing I might be not mistaken.

1. If you take a look at the image provided, the park assist button is lit, meaning the Park Plus system is engaged, but no video feed from front/side cameras.
2. the second reason is the wording in the manual on page 146:
You're welcome.

The manual is vague. I think it only means that if you were in reverse, then shift to forward you will have 360 view. But I don't think that means that you necessarily have 360 view when the front sensors activate automatically.

Depending on when your Q7 was built, you might not have had the automatic function of the front sensors. The software update the dealer did may have enabled that. Those of us with older builds and no software update have had to enable the automatic front sensors via a coding change.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Dealer got delivery of my Q7 on May 1st. I was lucky enough to see it wrapped in white plastic. I picked it up next day. I do have limited experience as for the first two weeks I was able to drive it for about 250 miles. it's only in the last week I was able to put another 700 miles, so my experience with different options/functionality is very limited
Old 05-20-2017, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
You're welcome.

The manual is vague. I think it only means that if you were in reverse, then shift to forward you will have 360 view. But I don't think that means that you necessarily have 360 view when the front sensors activate automatically.

Depending on when your Q7 was built, you might not have had the automatic function of the front sensors. The software update the dealer did may have enabled that. Those of us with older builds and no software update have had to enable the automatic front sensors via a coding change.
Rick, could you please share that code? Ive searched this and the U.K. forum and havnt found it.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is courtesy of AudiA4A6US:

Enable Automatic PDC Front
[09 – Central Elect.] [Coding - 07]
Select Long Coding Helper
Select Bye 37
Check Bit 1
Exit Long Coding Helper
Click Do It
Old 05-20-2017, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srbsq7
I think this is courtesy of AudiA4A6US:

Enable Automatic PDC Front
[09 – Central Elect.] [Coding - 07]
Select Long Coding Helper
Select Bye 37
Check Bit 1
Exit Long Coding Helper
Click Do It
Does that work with obd11? I believe I tried that and couldn't locate byte 11.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
Does that work with obd11? I believe I tried that and couldn't locate byte 11.
I believe so, there's a missing "t", should be byte 37, bit 1 that's enabled.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by srbsq7
I believe so, there's a missing "t", should be byte 37, bit 1 that's enabled.
Meant to add, bytes go across the top and bits 0 to 7 go top to bottom in OBD

Quick Reply: Parking assistance front camera issue?