Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Parking sensors in winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
Waxing sensors before and/or during winter time reduces number of false beeps quite noticeably - even if wax has no way to cure properly due to cold temps...
Hmmm, that would probably help with ACC radar domes too. Great idea!
Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I haven't experienced it yet in the Q7, but in our previous Lexus snow build up on the senors would cause it to alert. A few times while stopped at a red light during a moderate storm the flakes falling past the sensor even caused it to alert.

As ConserativeConsumer mentioned above, I also tend to keep a lot of wax on my vehicles, including wax on the sensors and even front and rear cameras. And IME it does tend to keep them somewhat clearer in the snow and even in the rain..

Last edited by JT4; 12-12-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor K
My front parking sensors don't turn on automatically during normal driving... For my front sensors to activate I need to either: 1. Have the car in reverse. 2: Have had the car in reverse and not traveled over 10 (or 15) mph. 3. Have pressed the parking button.

I've actually wondered how to change the setting so the front sensors would automatically activate when approaching something too closely during normal driving for when you do go to park, but this would be a good reason to not want that feature as well...
Mine will activate (March 2017 build), when I pull into my garage. It has also done that sometimes when I come up to a light with a car in front of me randomly. Doesnt do that all the time
Old 02-22-2019, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, this happended twice and I almost got killed in the Audi A3 that I purchased in 2018. On the expressway driving home, it started to snow, the sensors went off, the car stopped thinking there was a car closeby and there wasn't and the whole front end froze along with the sensor..had to deforst overnight!. I called Audi...nothing, brought car in, they told me to wipe the sensors when this happens...That was impossible on the highway as the snow was coming down!. This happened the 2nd time we had a quick snow, it fell, the front end 'froze solid' again..This is a design defect and can get us killed!
Old 02-22-2019, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by DrMarlene
Yes, this happended twice and I almost got killed in the Audi A3 that I purchased in 2018. On the expressway driving home, it started to snow, the sensors went off, the car stopped thinking there was a car closeby and there wasn't and the whole front end froze along with the sensor..had to deforst overnight!. I called Audi...nothing, brought car in, they told me to wipe the sensors when this happens...That was impossible on the highway as the snow was coming down!. This happened the 2nd time we had a quick snow, it fell, the front end 'froze solid' again..This is a design defect and can get us killed!
Complete BS,,, You've got troll written all over you.

If the PDC is tripped, they beep at LOW SPEEDS ONLY. They don't engage any brakes. Go missing now please.....
Old 02-22-2019, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Complete BS,,, You've got troll written all over you.

If the PDC is tripped, they beep at LOW SPEEDS ONLY. They don't engage any brakes. Go missing now please.....
+1... not just a complete BS, it is entirely clueless BS. Never was able to understand what makes a guy to write where he doesn't belong, what he does not know about and what has no sensible meaning altogether.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, this is a she who came from a car family...The car brakes at low speads when believing there is something in front of it..in this case, driving in oncoming snow, signalled the sensors to stop, with the inside sensors alerting you as well.. Thiseven continued 'after' overnight defrost [thick solid ice] and was unable to park head on, as sensors were still sensitive. This was the first occurence and brought back that week. the second occurence was last month when driving home and a sudden quick moving snow began, again car sensors inappropriately sent off plus. You are correct...one has to be going slowly but my dear one should be going slowly in an oncoming head on snow. This ONLY occurs with the A3 due to design defect...check it out and learn..Thank you
Old 02-23-2019, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Right... Now you are driving really slow on the expressway, and ALMOST DIED. Uh huh... sure.... I drive in blizzards all the time, and the car says / does nothing. If the PDC is iced over, you'll get false positives when you get below around 10MPH which is purely the buzzer going off. If the radar is ice covered, adaptive cruise errors and disengages. A3 has the same tech as all the other models, so still going to disagree.

Sounds more like "I was driving too fast / following too close in a snow storm, and I screwed up. Hopefully the mob mentality of the forum will get on board with my story and I can blame the car instead of me".
Old 02-23-2019, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got it wrong macho man... Don't dirve too slow and too close...drove on BMW race tract..you are not too bright.. Guess you never rode safely when a blast of the first snow comes down...or you are just ignorant, as you state in what you write...so sad...check out the different design of the front end and you 'may' be able to understand what has occurred..May, not sure..Called design flaw..look at the front end of ALL the other Audi's and learn...and see what has occurred as the service departments are aware but they cannot control the design, just knowing it works as it is suppose to...Foolish man...stop writing and THINK AND LOOK!
Old 02-23-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Front end 'froze solid.' Please explain.

Quick Reply: Parking sensors in winter