Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Parking sensors in winter

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ice formation immediate on incoming snow hitting the front end on the 2018 A3

I have driven/purchased Mercedes, BMW's and Jaguars...this my first Audi [fully loaded A3plus]...needing a small car at the time, I like the style of this Audi with the rounded front. To my dismay, there is a design defect ON THIS MODEL .due to that rounded front end. It seems to catch the snow and IMMEDIATELY FORM A SOLID SHEET OF ICE on the license plate and of course blocking the sensors. This happens at any speed, 25mph and up...and the car reacts in a frightening manner. It jolts, inside sounds, pictured on the camera This happened the only 2 times I had driven it when it started to snow, in the year I had it. The first was the 2nd week I had it and brought it back..and again, 1 years later and brought it back. A DESIGN defect for sure!. I come from a car industry family, driving for 50 years and never had this happen in any of the many luxury top line vehicles I have owned before. Perhaps this is because it is the bottom of the line, costing me $47,000 for fully loaded, pot hole insurance, and service contract. A nightmare in the snow...I even asked if they could in any way disconnect the front end sensors and they said NO..I am only hoping that people don't die with this defect. I am an experienced driver and know my cars...but there are many who are not and this can create severe accidents
Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DrMarlene
I have driven/purchased Mercedes, BMW's and Jaguars...this my first Audi [fully loaded A3plus]...needing a small car at the time, I like the style of this Audi with the rounded front. To my dismay, there is a design defect ON THIS MODEL .due to that rounded front end. It seems to catch the snow and IMMEDIATELY FORM A SOLID SHEET OF ICE on the license plate and of course blocking the sensors. This happens at any speed, 25mph and up...and the car reacts in a frightening manner. It jolts, inside sounds, pictured on the camera This happened the only 2 times I had driven it when it started to snow, in the year I had it. The first was the 2nd week I had it and brought it back..and again, 1 years later and brought it back. A DESIGN defect for sure!. I come from a car industry family, driving for 50 years and never had this happen in any of the many luxury top line vehicles I have owned before. Perhaps this is because it is the bottom of the line, costing me $47,000 for fully loaded, pot hole insurance, and service contract. A nightmare in the snow...I even asked if they could in any way disconnect the front end sensors and they said NO..I am only hoping that people don't die with this defect. I am an experienced driver and know my cars...but there are many who are not and this can create severe accidents
This is the Q7 forum, not the A3 forum. Try there for more sympathy.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
This is the Q7 forum, not the A3 forum. Try there for more sympathy.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by DrMarlene
All Audi's have the same rounded front end, so perhaps you "don't really know your cars" like you say. And as others have said, perhaps trying to get sympathy on the A3 forum might work for you (but this still wreaks of buyers remorse, and not a "defect". Sounds like you were forced into a "bottom of the line POS A3 -- interpolating from your comments above). The reason the dealer isn't doing anything is because they are rolling their eyes in disbelief of your complaint.

Throwing in comments of "I come from a car industry family" isn't going to net you any points either, since nothing you have said makes any sense, nor does it align with the operation of Audi's driver assistance functionality. I'm surprised that none of the vehicles you have driven 50 years ago didn't suffer from any of these issues. Oh yeh, that's right back when cars didn't have seatbelts and could barely make it to highway speeds! Where is the eye rolling emoticon when you need it?
Old 03-15-2019, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Here we troll again.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by johncolts54
I own a 2017 Q& Presige with Nite vision and all the goodies. Mine comes on I think the first snow flake a mile away. Kidding. But are sensitive and pulling in garage, parking at Krogers. Of all the driving and this happened no braking as yet, the big alert comes on in the pre sense, but no brakes. Makes me wonder sometimes if working...
The first level of presense is only audible (and visual in VC/HUD) to alert the driver you can turn this off (I think) or adjust the sensitivity in the MMI, the 2nd level will brake for you, but its probably completely unsafe in wintry conditions or with bad tires as its late and brakes really hard. You don't want to experience this, although its better than hitting w/e might be there (although I've had 1 or 2 false positive experiences), In certain conditions I'm sure the 2 can easily be conflated by the driver since they happen so quickly but I'm pretty sure there's 2 separate systems.