Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Passenger seat belt locked

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger seat belt locked

New member & Audi owner, 17 Q7 Glacier White/Rock Grey w/Prestige & Luxury, great forum, learned how to fix my HomeLink already! Now on to my weird issue...

My passenger seat belt became looped behind the seat and the headrest. It then locked up and will not release. I've adjusted the seat, pulled on the belt, etc and then googled it, which is how I ended up here.

I need to remove the passenger seat headrest, yet cannot find a way to do this.

Trying to save myself a trip to the dealer as I live in a remote area.

Thanks!

Where it's locked up
Old 05-03-2017, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you tried adjusting the seat at all to see if you can get just a bit of slack in the belt so it can release? (and dare I ask how that happened?)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Unlike most cars, the headrest slides up and down on fixed posts, as opposed to the posts moving up and down inside the seat. So I don't think you're going to get the headrest out without removing some of the plastic trim and (maybe) unbolting the posts.

But... have you tries what might seem like some counter-intuitive seat movements? For example, it looks like if you slide the seat all the way forward while at the same time reclining the backrest, it might give you some slack. Or raising the seat so that the belt can slip under the lower right corner?
Old 05-03-2017, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Unlike most cars, the headrest slides up and down on fixed posts, as opposed to the posts moving up and down inside the seat. So I don't think you're going to get the headrest out without removing some of the plastic trim and (maybe) unbolting the posts.
Good to know. I though the end of the head rests served as a tool to bust your way out of a drowning car. Perhaps the rear ones come off in the case of an emergency like that?
Old 05-03-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

You have to remove the plastic under the headrest #1 and press on the plastic ring at the arrow to pull the headrest upwards.
Attached Images   
Old 05-04-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you! Going to attempt this right now.

Talked to my dealer yesterday, they said the front headrests do not come out for safety reasons, while the rear ones do. (?) I have a service appointment but not for a couple weeks.

Not exactly sure how this happened, my son was exiting the car at school, his sweatshirt got hung up in clip and I stuck my arm out to help him. It's bizarre.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anemeth
You have to remove the plastic under the headrest #1 and press on the plastic ring at the arrow to pull the headrest upwards.
Thanks for sharing the instructions. I always wanted to flip the headrests, the forward angle hurts my neck.

I tried to remove the plastic cover by pulling it upward, but I could not move it and I was afraid of breaking the plastic.

Do you know if there are clips underneath it and the locations? Thanks!
Old 05-05-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

The prior instruction was for headrest with height adjustment only. I am not sure there is clips there, what I posted is in the "official" repair guide. I have not tried to take it apart yet.

Here is the guide with height and angle adjustable headrest.

Removing
– Tilt backrest towards rear.
– Take hold of bottom edge of cover (rear) -1- and slide it upwards out of fasteners -arrows-.
– Fully raise head restraint and move it to front position.
– Fold trim (rear) -1- upwards and disengage retaining hooks -arrows- from cover (front).
– Release trim (front) -1- at both fasteners -arrows- using a small screwdriver and detach.
– Slide trim covers upwards, disengage retaining springs -arrow- on both head restraint guides (working alternately) and at the same time pull base of head restraint upwards.
Attached Images     
Old 05-06-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anemeth
The prior instruction was for headrest with height adjustment only. I am not sure there is clips there, what I posted is in the "official" repair guide. I have not tried to take it apart yet.

Here is the guide with height and angle adjustable headrest.

Removing
– Tilt backrest towards rear.
– Take hold of bottom edge of cover (rear) -1- and slide it upwards out of fasteners -arrows-.
– Fully raise head restraint and move it to front position.
– Fold trim (rear) -1- upwards and disengage retaining hooks -arrows- from cover (front).
– Release trim (front) -1- at both fasteners -arrows- using a small screwdriver and detach.
– Slide trim covers upwards, disengage retaining springs -arrow- on both head restraint guides (working alternately) and at the same time pull base of head restraint upwards.
Thanks anemeth, I will give it a try.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Success ���� Thank you anemeth for the detailed instructions, it took us about 10 minutes total to get the headrest off & reinstalled. (Including a couple of me shielding my eyes from my new car being taken apart ��)

Not the best picture, but here's the headrest with the plastic cover off as we're reinstalling it.

Quick Reply: Passenger seat belt locked