Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Possible Auto Start / Stop Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possible Auto Start / Stop Issue?

I've currently got 650 miles on my Q7 and I've just started noticing that it will shut off when coming to a stop while the speedometer still reads 2MPH. I do not recall it doing that until the last couple of days driving. Also after it restarts when I step on the gas pedal it will have a slight drivetrain vibration (that's what I'm going to call it) and it's very short and goes away, but if the engine doesn't stop it does not have this vibration, odd?
Old 10-25-2016, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

It can shut off as high as 4 MPH.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole technology is rather pathetic in my opinion. For the tiny amount of fuel savings and reduced emissions it provides, it can't justify the wear and tear element. They may tell you that nowadays it is not the case, but with anything in the world, the more it is used, the less it will last. Constant stops and restarts just can't be beneficial for a car's mechanical components.

I press the override button immediately following a press of the start button all the time. It's become second nature to me. Permanently shutting off this terible technology via the ODBEleven tool will be the ultimate prize.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pcaddict66
The whole technology is rather pathetic in my opinion. For the tiny amount of fuel savings and reduced emissions it provides, it can't justify the wear and tear element. They may tell you that nowadays it is not the case, but with anything in the world, the more it is used, the less it will last. Constant stops and restarts just can't be beneficial for a car's mechanical components.

I press the override button immediately following a press of the start button all the time. It's become second nature to me. Permanently shutting off this terible technology via the ODBEleven tool will be the ultimate prize.
After I get used to everything I plan on buying the ODBEleven and making changes and one of them will be to stop the auto start / stop feature.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
It can shut off as high as 4 MPH.
Thank You, Makes me feel a little better about it. Still don't like the vibration after it auto starts.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Thank You, Makes me feel a little better about it. Still don't like the vibration after it auto starts.
The "vibration" is the engine cranking over & starting back up. The 6 cylinder Q7 is silky smooth compared to my 4 cylinder A4 .
Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
The "vibration" is the engine cranking over & starting back up. The 6 cylinder Q7 is silky smooth compared to my 4 cylinder A4 .
I disagree, what I'm experiencing is a drivetrain vibration, it can start back up and the vibration will not happen until I start moving, meaning if I let my foot off the brake a little and the engine starts but I do not allow the vehicle to move, then sit there for until I step on the gas I will get a vibration once it starts going under acceleration.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start/Stop system

What am i missing here, i though this feature can be turned on/off by some button near the MMI based on this quick start guide (Page 5).
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...tart-guide.pdf

After I get used to everything I plan on buying the ODBEleven and making changes and one of them will be to stop the auto start / stop feature.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've currently got 650 miles on my Q7 and I've just started noticing that it will shut off when coming to a stop while the speedometer still reads 2MPH. I do not recall it doing that until the last couple of days driving. Also after it restarts when I step on the gas pedal it will have a slight drivetrain vibration (that's what I'm going to call it) and it's very short and goes away, but if the engine doesn't stop it does not have this vibration, odd?
Same thing here.

If I tap the brake pedal lightly while approaching the full stop, it does not shut off right away.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by saneras
What am i missing here, i though this feature can be turned on/off by some button near the MMI based on this quick start guide (Page 5).
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...tart-guide.pdf
You can shut it off, but you have to hit the button each time you start the vehicle, it does not stay on after you shut the vehicle off and restart it with the start button.

Quick Reply: Possible Auto Start / Stop Issue?