Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Possible Auto Start / Stop Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So i had never experienced the AUTO STOP until this last weekend when it started cooling off here in Florida.
Since its been soooo damn hot here, I always have the AC in LO and that disables the AUTO STOP, so this weekend I set the AC @ 68 and at the light, the car turned off.. While sitting there i turned the AC to LO again and the car turned back on.
I must admit it kind of threw me off for a sec. Also noticed if you gently tap on the break without fully pressing it down it also bypasses the AUTO STOP.
I'm wondering if this is how people are getting better MPG's then I am.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PROEDGEBIKER.COM
So i had never experienced the AUTO STOP until this last weekend when it started cooling off here in Florida.
Since its been soooo damn hot here, I always have the AC in LO and that disables the AUTO STOP, so this weekend I set the AC @ 68 and at the light, the car turned off.. While sitting there i turned the AC to LO again and the car turned back on.
I must admit it kind of threw me off for a sec. Also noticed if you gently tap on the break without fully pressing it down it also bypasses the AUTO STOP.
I'm wondering if this is how people are getting better MPG's then I am.
the AC being on will not totally override the AS/STP function. On my commute there are a few long lights I turn it on for and the rest I turn it off. I think I read that on average the AS/STP systems average a 1/2 mpg savings. I think it is more for environmental emission reduction rather then fuel economy,
Old 10-27-2016, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with mine where it cuts off before I have even stopped causing a very harsh stop at a stoplights. It's almost embarrassing sometimes as I watch everyone's heads in the vehicle jerk forward.

It's becoming very frustrating and I have always been in the camp that auto/start/stop doesn't bother me. Last night I actually cut it off because it was cutting off entirely too soon.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think idle stop-and-start is a good system. As an Audi owner, you have trusted Audi's engineering. I suggest you trust Audi-engineered stop-and-start system as well. It's definitely not perfect. The feel of engine stopping and starting may be a nuisance for a sensitive person. Although the transition on my car is very smooth - just a subtle vibration, which I don't mind at all.

Good reading about the tech: Do Stop-Start Systems Really Save Fuel? | Edmunds.com

Be kind to the environment. Save some $. Leave it on. Or switch to an electric car. Then you'll be like "what engine vibration??".

Postscript ranting: The next primary energy source for automobiles will be electric. Once the charging network & speed and battery technology get to a point they beat the convenience of fossil fuel and ICE, there's no reason not to love the instant torque, the quietness and smoothness of electric motor. Combustion engines will be a thing of the past - Not soon, but definitely. History will repeat itself. Electricity replaced combustible oil / gas for lighting in 19th century. Electricity will replace gasoline / diesel for automobile this century.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Read this thread w/ interest, as I've been looking for others who may have had similar experiences. My issues w/ the auto stop/start are as follows. Have a `15 Q5 TDI 3-litre turbo, and over the last 4 months on 5 separate occasions when the auto stop engages @ a light/stop and car shuts off, upon releasing the brake and stepping on the gas the car does not move - only revs, as it's dropped out of gear(!!) while it shut off. I then have to step on brake and switch to neutral or park, which sometimes screws up the ignition on/off system and I'm dead in the water. Took it to the dealer and they checked it, they could not get an error code of any kind in diagnostics, and could not replicate it driving it around both w/ & w/out me driving. All they said was keep an eye on it......and let us know when happens again.
Anyone else out there have this kind of experience? Inquiring minds want to know..... Thanks!
Old 01-24-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkKnights
Read this thread w/ interest, as I've been looking for others who may have had similar experiences. My issues w/ the auto stop/start are as follows. Have a `15 Q5 TDI 3-litre turbo, and over the last 4 months on 5 separate occasions when the auto stop engages @ a light/stop and car shuts off, upon releasing the brake and stepping on the gas the car does not move - only revs, as it's dropped out of gear(!!) while it shut off. I then have to step on brake and switch to neutral or park, which sometimes screws up the ignition on/off system and I'm dead in the water. Took it to the dealer and they checked it, they could not get an error code of any kind in diagnostics, and could not replicate it driving it around both w/ & w/out me driving. All they said was keep an eye on it......and let us know when happens again.
Anyone else out there have this kind of experience? Inquiring minds want to know..... Thanks!
Not normal! Hopefully it occurs more so they can replicate, however, I'd bitch a bit more as this can be a safety issue
Old 01-24-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by epicQ7
I have the same issue with mine where it cuts off before I have even stopped causing a very harsh stop at a stoplights. It's almost embarrassing sometimes as I watch everyone's heads in the vehicle jerk forward.

It's becoming very frustrating and I have always been in the camp that auto/start/stop doesn't bother me. Last night I actually cut it off because it was cutting off entirely too soon.
That is absolutely not normal!! The engine should turn off only after the vehicle comes to a complete stop, and even then after a defined period of time
Old 01-24-2017, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
That is absolutely not normal!! The engine should turn off only after the vehicle comes to a complete stop, and even then after a defined period of time
According to SYMAWD the vehicle can shut off at I believe 3MPH and under, not a direct quote but he said the vehicle can still be in motion when it shuts off.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
According to SYMAWD the vehicle can shut off at I believe 3MPH and under, not a direct quote but he said the vehicle can still be in motion when it shuts off.
That is poor design. In my BMW, it has never done that. Why should it?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

The fact that one has to turn off the system each time they use the car is ridiculous. On my Mini Cooper and my 2015 Q7 the system stays off indefinitely once it is turned off which is how it should be on the 2017 Q7. What was Audi thinking or was it the good old US Government with another one of their silly mandates? I agree with an earlier post, why subject the car to a lot of extra wear and tear with this system? If I am worried about emissions I will just eat fewer burgers as cows are a huge contributor to global warming.

Quick Reply: Possible Auto Start / Stop Issue?