Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Possible Auto Start / Stop Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

From an A6 quick start guide, but the Q7 has the same function.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

In my 2013 Q5 3.0T and 2014 A7 you can turn it off and it it stays off until you turned it back on.

From what I remember reading, Audi changed this as of the 2015 or 2016 model year.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seen my Q7 turn off the engine before a complete stop.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mothers 16 A6 stays off when you hit the switch until you hit the switch again. My 17 A4 and you know my 17 Q7 you have to hit the switch everytime. I plan on turning it off via OBD11 soon.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
From an A6 quick start guide, but the Q7 has the same function.

Senses is the scary word here. Really? What if you are about to stop (meaning 0mph) and the traffic starts to move and I decide to go, but instead the Q comes to a halt jerking me forward, and the guy behind me rear ending my Q. Nice!

No other cars does this, so I'm curious to know Audi's rationale
Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Senses is the scary word here. Really? What if you are about to stop (meaning 0mph) and the traffic starts to move and I decide to go, but instead the Q comes to a halt jerking me forward, and the guy behind me rear ending my Q. Nice!

No other cars does this, so I'm curious to know Audi's rationale
It doesn't jerk forward. If you are coming to a stop and lift off the brakes, the car will continue forward.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It doesn't jerk forward. If you are coming to a stop and lift off the brakes, the car will continue forward.
Not according to the dude in one of the recent posts above. His situation almost sounds like when you accidentally put your car in park a second too soon!
Old 01-24-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Not according to the dude in one of the recent posts above. His situation almost sounds like when you accidentally put your car in park a second too soon!
Every time I have experienced it, if I come to a stop, the engine shutting off does not affect the smoothness of the stop. If the light turns green just as it shuts off, lifting off the brake causes the engine to restart with no jerkiness and the situation is no different than if the engine had stayed on. If the car is jerking forward, then something is wrong.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Every time I have experienced it, if I come to a stop, the engine shutting off does not affect the smoothness of the stop. If the light turns green just as it shuts off, lifting off the brake causes the engine to restart with no jerkiness and the situation is no different than if the engine had stayed on. If the car is jerking forward, then something is wrong.
Yeah, lets hope his is just an anomaly
Old 01-24-2017, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't get away from stop/start in the UK. I didn't have it on my 2011 X5 as it was just before in became commonplace. I was a bit concerned when I got the Q7 as I thought it would be a pain, but I have to say, I'm happy with it and can't think of an occasion where it caused concern or wasn't smooth.

If I anticipate needing to pull out of a turn quickly, I just pull he gear lever into sport to start the engine.

I find the lack of storage space more annoying! Overall though, it's a great car and no regrets.

Quick Reply: Possible Auto Start / Stop Issue?