Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Proper method to program your Homelink Garage Door Operner

Old 05-03-2017, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Homelink's website gives you step by step instructions based on your car and garage door opener specs as well. I found it a lot better than some of the car owners manuals. the address is homelink.com
Old 08-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
My doors are programmed and the buttons work, but only when inside the garage.

Anywhere outside the signal seems blocked or the Q7 has extremely low range. My remote from the door works fine.

I also installed these... which were supposed to help LED interference. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dig out these discussion happened months ago.

I just programmed my Q7 today, and had an interesting finding. While parking right outside the garage, it could only close the door but cannot open it, made me believe the signal is too weak to go through the door. But after I moved the Q7 several feet away, it worked perfectly! Maybe the signal has weak spot if it is too close? Not quite sure about it.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I followed the Audi method with no success after multiple tries. I then followed the methods described here with no success after multiple tries. I then followed the methods on Homelinks site and bust again. Is it possible something is wrong with this system in my car? It sure seems like it. Ugh!
Old 04-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 281 Likes on 201 Posts

FWIW I had no issues programming my HL first time. My Genie opener was installed in 2003, rolling code.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Force-1
FWIW I had no issues programming my HL first time. My Genie opener was installed in 2003, rolling code.
I didn't on my Q5 either. My garage door opener is a Linear and only 3 years old. I think there is something wrong with the programming function on the Q7. Its driven me nuts the last 24 hours.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always had problems programing HomeLink on every car I ever had. But the secret is, call HomeLink. they have an 800 number and are really nice. No problems at all. Talked through it every time. I swear, some times I know I did what the instructions said and had no luck. But with them on the phone, five minutes and done.

HomeLink® Customer Care at 1-800-355-3515.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Paul Collurafici
I've always had problems programing HomeLink on every car I ever had. But the secret is, call HomeLink. they have an 800 number and are really nice. No problems at all. Talked through it every time. I swear, some times I know I did what the instructions said and had no luck. But with them on the phone, five minutes and done.

HomeLink® Customer Care at 1-800-355-3515.
Spoke to Homelink today and after failing to program the button they told me to take it to Audi. There is a known issue on Premium Plus and Prestige models and they would have to call technical support to repair it.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After suffering enough , I am able to program my Audi Q5 premium plus to my liftmaster garage opener by referring my old nissan's manual instead of Audi's . I believe these steps will work for most garage openers. I felt the posts above are bit ambiguous to understand.
  1. Start programming the desired button using the Audi MMi interface .
  2. It will ask for your transmitter to be held facing internal mirror. Do so by standing in front of your hood close to the car and and long press it . keeping fingers crossed , come back to your audi and check if MMi is asking for "Want to Synchronize your button now ? " . If not , keep trying this step
  3. Once Audi asks for " Want to Synchronize your button now ? ", dont press anything on your Audi . Instead , climb up a stool / ladder and press the learn button on garage opener. In Both liftmaster and chamberlain , you need to press this button briefly until led near it comes on . Dont long press it else you will erase all your existing transmitters.
  4. Once that LED comes on , run for your life to your Audi .
  5. Within 30 seconds , reach the Audi display and choose "yes" for "Want to Synchronize your button now ? " . It will ask for the button to be pressed twice. Do so.
  6. If your garage opener's open/close light is visible to you from your audi , you could see that it blinks once confirming your victory. If not , follow the step 5 again ( MMI too will ask for button to be pressed up again , just that it says so using a confusing messages like using adjusters in garage opener ) .
  7. If you are unsuccessful, note that you need to keep trying step 5 . MMI will again ask for synch now followed by 'press it twice' messages , in a loop. You have 30 seconds to complete this. If 30 seconds passed , start trying from Step 3 ( pressing learn button on opener) , to get a lifeline of another 30 seconds from your garage opener. step 5 didnt work for me on first 2 attempts.
Hope this helps someone.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another Linear failure here...
Old 08-21-2018, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Finally Worked

Finally got it to work by following vehicle and opener specific directions on homelink site (IGNORE AUDI MMI DIRECTIONS)

Also:
1. Vehicle was ignition OFF (Accessories on, obviously)
2. The LED bulb in my opener was definitely, 100% creating interference (yes, really). Yes, I did confirm this. (NO, I'm not stupid or joking)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Proper method to program your Homelink Garage Door Operner