Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Proper method to program your Homelink Garage Door Operner

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your vehicle is equiped with with side assist radar and you are trying you program a grade door opener that transmits at a frequency below 318mhz you must disable the side assist (remove fuse) and it will program as usual. Audi TSB 2051239/1
Old 10-28-2018, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by all8up
If your vehicle is equipped with with side assist radar and you are trying you program a grade door opener that transmits at a frequency below 318mhz you must disable the side assist (remove fuse) and it will program as usual. Audi TSB 2051239/1
Even following the instructions in the TSB, by removing the fuse, failed to make this work for my SQ5. Wife's new car that we got like 3 weeks before mine programmed in seconds with the same remote I just used.
Very annoying.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default What Worked for Me

Hi folks,

New member here with 2018 Q7 Prestige. After trying every and all combinations of the procedures in this post I was still left with opening the ash tray every time to pull out the old school remote in order to open and close my G-door. New batteries, learn, unlearn, point at mirror, stand on one foot with aluminum foil helmet etc.

Downloaded TSB 2051239/1, pulled the fuse for lane assist, point at mirror, done in 10 seconds.

Appreciate the help!
Old 02-22-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh and BTW I also have a Linear LDCO800 GDO that is less than a year old, that thing was a PITA to program with my last vehicle as well
Old 02-22-2019, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beright
Hi folks,

New member here with 2018 Q7 Prestige. After trying every and all combinations of the procedures in this post I was still left with opening the ash tray every time to pull out the old school remote in order to open and close my G-door. New batteries, learn, unlearn, point at mirror, stand on one foot with aluminum foil helmet etc.

Downloaded TSB 2051239/1, pulled the fuse for lane assist, point at mirror, done in 10 seconds.

Appreciate the help!
I couldn't my second door to program either, even after pulling the lane assist fuse as recommended here. But my dealer (Audi Minneapolis) was nice enough to have their tech person come to my house and do it for me. Took her all of 10 seconds also. And as part of their customer service she answered the tech questions I had and installed the license plates that had come in. Took her about a half hour in all.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Member

I ended up replacing my old *** garage door opener with a new one myself and replaced all the rollers as well. Well worth the few hours it took to install everything. My garage door was obnoxiously loud and now it's super quiet. More importantly, I solved my 1st World problem of not being able to use my Audi's Homelink system. LMAO
The following users liked this post:
mhoran89 (06-16-2021)
Old 12-15-2019, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zoich
I saw members having issues programming their home link buttons. This to me is an example of engineering to solve a non-problem. It's Audi's fault for making a simple process too complicated when it tried to incorporate a proven technology/process with its MMI interface.

To program
1. Your assigned home link button must learn the rolling code algorithm
2. Then the garage opener has to learn the home link button

I think everyone can get through step 1 pretty easily. When the home link is in learning mode, it flashes amber slowly until you press and hold your transmitter at the center rearview mirror; if it has successfully learned/synced a rolling code transmitter, it will flash green rapidly when you press it. When it learned a fixed code transmitter, it will also flash, but the green will flash much slower.

Then this is the step "call Synchronization where Audi ask you to press the button 2 times" - well that's crap. totally wrong and misleading.
Once step 1 is done. You need to go click the LEARN button on the back of the opener. Within 30 seconds, you need to press the assigned button which just learned the code from the transmitter. You would press the button and hold it just long enough until the garage opener light flash once, but it flashes very slowly. Once that happens, you're done!
Thank you so much!! I spent over two hours trying different procedures and even called the Homelink tech support number that was displayed on the MMI "failed to program" message. When I called support they said I should go back to Audi and tell them to "enable the 315Mhz transmitter" and that the Audi presense sensors were interfering. This information is totally wrong!! Instead follow forum member's Zoich procedure:

1. Select the Program Garage Door Opener screen in the MMI Vehicle-Settings menu
2. Follow the instructions and press & hold the handheld transmitter near the mirror
3. When the MMI message asks if you want to Sync, DO NOT press the Audi Homelink button just yet
4. Press the Learn button on the garage door opener
5. Now press the Audi Homelink button two times
6. Done
Old 12-16-2019, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Member

Originally Posted by Bonanza123
Thank you so much!! I spent over two hours trying different procedures and even called the Homelink tech support number that was displayed on the MMI "failed to program" message. When I called support they said I should go back to Audi and tell them to "enable the 315Mhz transmitter" and that the Audi presense sensors were interfering. This information is totally wrong!! Instead follow forum member's Zoich procedure:

1. Select the Program Garage Door Opener screen in the MMI Vehicle-Settings menu
2. Follow the instructions and press & hold the handheld transmitter near the mirror
3. When the MMI message asks if you want to Sync, DO NOT press the Audi Homelink button just yet
6. Done
Keep in mind that there are people like me (and I'm a damn Engineer) who followed all the steps, tried all the tricks and in the end it's just the fact that the system is not compatible with some older garage openers. As soon as I replaced my opener, it worked the first time I followed the prompts, like it should happen.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonanza123

6. Done
on step 5, each time you press the button, press it for a couple seconds. you will see the lights blink and then stop each time. This is what i had to do for my older garage door opener.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OMG I think it is the led light on the garage remote!

I have a 2017 Q7 and a 2014 Q5 and recently bought a place with a Chamberlain Group KLIK3U-BK Clicker Universal 2-Button Garage Door Opener . The Q5 programmed fine after hitting the learn button but I could not get the Q7 to get past the "there has been an error programming your remote, would you like to try again" screen. I tried the side assist fuse removal, pointing the remote at the front of the car, nothing worked!!! Probably wasted an hour on it.

The solution was simple, I covered the flashing blue LED on the clicker remote with my thumb before pressing the button while programming it and it actually saved the code and allowed me to move forward! I hope this helps someone out!