Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q5 vs Q7

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big difference when you drive it on the highway in my opinion. The ride is much better in the Q7 and plenty of room inside. Feels luxurious and roomy when sitting in the front and back. It just seems to hug the road better and 3.0 has some really nice zip to it. I can get 24-25 mph on the highway and for a heavy car with great acceleration that just really amazes me!
Old 12-23-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

After two great rides with a 2009 Q5 (3.2) and a 2013 Q5 (3T) we went with the Q7 in 2017. Reasons - a little more room, a little better ride, a V6 engine and it's a German vehicle, while not made in Germany at least it's made in Europe.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

My Q7 feels more substantial than my SQ5 because it is. The Q7 weighs 500 lb more. The cars share the same platform, so the bones are the same. As for ride quality, my SQ5 has adaptive air suspension so it’s the equal if not better than the Q7 without air. The Q5 is more nimble and it is definitely faster. As for responsiveness, the SC V6 probably has the better of the turbo, but they’re both still hampered by the lazy transmission when in D. It comes down to required space.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The awful seats in the Q5 disqualified it alone. My butt hurt just sitting in the showroom. No way.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the replies, for some reason I thought 3.0 was an option on Q5, I realized it's only available on SQ5. So it's sort of like X3 with 2.0 vs X3M 3.0, except Audi does not try to fool people by naming their 2.0 engine vehicle xdrive 30i and 3.0 vehicle xdrive 40i. That's messy...
Maybe X6?

After driving my Q7 for a bit over a year, I realized I don't really need the add'l space. It's very handy, and 3rd row actually works, but unless I keep it in S all the time, it's does not feel snappy and you can definitely feel the size compared to something like X5.
I guess I will see how it goes for 2 more years and then check my options. I feel like the side visibility is not that great on Q7, even if you adjust your mirrors, leaning over to see a lane over is never an easy task. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but every lane shift to the left feels like a challenge to me. I never felt this way on X5.

If I go with anything else, my only worry would be not having the extremely spacious 2nd row knee room. I've never seen any other vehicle that can get this much leg room on 2nd row. What's that rumors of Q5L, is it China only?
Old 12-23-2018, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I have an SQ5 and I really want a Q7. The supercharged engine is smoother, the overall ride feels more substantial and luxurious and I wouldn't mind having some extra interior space. The problem is it will probably never lease as well as an SQ5.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
What's that rumors of Q5L, is it China only?
Yes
Old 12-24-2018, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Thanks for the replies, for some reason I thought 3.0 was an option on Q5, I realized it's only available on SQ5. So it's sort of like X3 with 2.0 vs X3M 3.0, except Audi does not try to fool people by naming their 2.0 engine vehicle xdrive 30i and 3.0 vehicle xdrive 40i. That's messy...
Maybe X6?

After driving my Q7 for a bit over a year, I realized I don't really need the add'l space. It's very handy, and 3rd row actually works, but unless I keep it in S all the time, it's does not feel snappy and you can definitely feel the size compared to something like X5.
I guess I will see how it goes for 2 more years and then check my options. I feel like the side visibility is not that great on Q7, even if you adjust your mirrors, leaning over to see a lane over is never an easy task. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but every lane shift to the left feels like a challenge to me. I never felt this way on X5.

If I go with anything else, my only worry would be not having the extremely spacious 2nd row knee room. I've never seen any other vehicle that can get this much leg room on 2nd row. What's that rumors of Q5L, is it China only?
I've been saying that you cant understate the "bigness" of the Q7, especially compared to an X5. If you dont need a 3rd row, there is really no reason to lug a big *** Q7 around.
As for visibility, I feel the Q is decent, but took me a while to get the seating position right. I'm guessing you've gone through and found the right position for the seats and mirrors?
Old 12-24-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a Q5 loaner and there is no doubt it felt more agile. But the Q7 definitely felt more lux. Also quicker, that probably was because I was drivin a 2.0T. When I first got the Q7 the bigness was a little tough for me but I'm now I'm at the point of confidence where it's not an issue to zip around in traffic if I need too. I'm sure the 4ws helps with that but I got the perfect seating/mirror position for myself.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I have an SQ5 and I really want a Q7. The supercharged engine is smoother, the overall ride feels more substantial and luxurious and I wouldn't mind having some extra interior space. The problem is it will probably never lease as well as an SQ5.
Why don't you contact Joel at Cherry Hill Audi, he'll give you a great deal.
I thought SQ5 and Q7 had the same engine, they don't? They both say 3.0 TFSI on specs.

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I've been saying that you cant understate the "bigness" of the Q7, especially compared to an X5. If you dont need a 3rd row, there is really no reason to lug a big *** Q7 around.
As for visibility, I feel the Q is decent, but took me a while to get the seating position right. I'm guessing you've gone through and found the right position for the seats and mirrors?
I did, but I guess I have to do it again. I tend to sit back and low, and recently I had to move forward closer to steering wheel and more upright because I thought that would give me more side viewing angle and it did, but sort of not enough. I'll play with mirrors again to see if that will help. For large mirrors I don't know why viewing angle is not so good.

Quick Reply: Q5 vs Q7