Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 4M Hidden Gems List

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Collurafici
The system works great. But you must watch the road.

Heres a a hidden gem. If there’s two cars in front of you as you’re coming to a stop and the first car in front of you changes lanes... the Q won’t see the other car that is still stopping and will attempt to drive right through it!
Unfortunately the self driving systems don't have human cognitive thinking. In order to function the way they do, they have to ignore stationary objects unless these are the ones the system is tracking - like a car in front coming to a stop. The system would see a second stopped car eventually when it switches from active tracking to collision avoidance, but it may be too late by then. Hence the reason why engineers are putting so many different type of sensors and more computing power in order to mimic human cognitive situation recognition. That's still somewhat way off. What they are hanging their hopes on is vehicle-2-vehicle, infrastructure-2-vehicle, vehicle-2-infrastructure and additional communication systems so this way the vehicle 2,3,4 or more cars in front of you would let your car know that it's stopped. To make this inexpensive and reliable is a real challenge.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes the DA stuff helps and others can hurt (literally)...we have turned off Pre-Sense as making left hand turns in an intersection can set off violet panic braking as the vehicle in the opposite lane passes by while one is turning. Apparently if the turn signal is not used it's not an issue...turn signals however are meant to signal ones intentions and should always be used especially when other vehicles are present. Hoping the system has been tweaked for the Q8's and the rest going forward, but from what I hear about lane tracking issues still persisting, I'm hopeful but skeptical.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasaint
I don't have to be navigating for it to slow for turns. It just knows the curve is there. I do have an issue with it slowing for curves that are not there. It slows down on the same parts without fail. Thought map update would solve it but nope
Yes, I agree. It will slow down for curves in the road. However, in order for it to slow down for a turn at an intersection (one where you have the option of not turning), then it you have to be navigating for it to know that you are expected to turn.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Yes, I agree. It will slow down for curves in the road. However, in order for it to slow down for a turn at an intersection (one where you have the option of not turning), then it you have to be navigating for it to know that you are expected to turn.
Yeah that was I was saying in the original post.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Sometimes the DA stuff helps and others can hurt (literally)...we have turned off Pre-Sense as making left hand turns in an intersection can set off violet panic braking as the vehicle in the opposite lane passes by while one is turning. Apparently if the turn signal is not used it's not an issue...turn signals however are meant to signal ones intentions and should always be used especially when other vehicles are present. Hoping the system has been tweaked for the Q8's and the rest going forward, but from what I hear about lane tracking issues still persisting, I'm hopeful but skeptical.
I have never experienced this, and I always use my turn signal.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
It's somewhat common, I posted a thread about it about 6mos ago and members here experienced the same. The sales rep at our Audi store said it's happened to him turning into the dealership at the light.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
In higher density areas such as NYC, when trying to make a left turn and trying to fit in between onslaught of oncoming vehicles, the turn assist would get triggered almost every time as it either sees an incoming car or it stills "sees" the car that it's just in the process of passing you. The key here is that you need to be fully stopped prior to attempting your left turn, if you are moving it will not triggering the turn assist.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911eric

My 2017 definitely does not do that, so that must be 2018/2019 or for non-US cars.
My 2017 US Q7 does that with adaptive cruise control on *and* with ‘Adaptation to route ahead’ checked in the MMI (and, obviously, only if navigating with a set destination). If that option is not checked, it won’t slow down, say, at an intersection where a turn is scheduled according to the nav.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by netrom17

My 2017 US Q7 does that with adaptive cruise control on *and* with ‘Adaptation to route ahead’ checked in the MMI (and, obviously, only if navigating with a set destination). If that option is not checked, it won’t slow down, say, at an intersection where a turn is scheduled according to the nav.
Lot of misinformation in this thread. netrom17 is right - you have to enable this feature with the adaptation feature checked on in the MMI... Simply having adaptive cruise control and navigation working does not automatically make you slow down at curves/intersections unless this option bit is checked.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Lot of misinformation in this thread. netrom17 is right - you have to enable this feature with the adaptation feature checked on in the MMI... Simply having adaptive cruise control and navigation working does not automatically make you slow down at curves/intersections unless this option bit is checked.
Its not false information. It does do it. Just didn't include that you need adapt to route selected selected. So information on configuration was missing. I made an edit for the sake of argument. The whole point of the thread is what the little things the Q7 can do. Wasnt really trying to say step by step how do it.

Quick Reply: Q7 4M Hidden Gems List