Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 base stereo wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Q7 base stereo wiring

Hi. I’ve searched some threads and can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. Just to note I used to DIY some car stereo stuff about 20-25+ years ago so have a basic working sense of things.

The base stereo sucks, but with some playing around with treble and bass settings can get it to sound half decent but with no bass.

What I’d like to do (subject to ease) is add a small mono amp and replace the stock sub with something a bit better. We’ve got a toddler and baby on the way so it’s just a little something we’re looking for.

I understand the battery is in front under passenger footwell. In terms of running power and ground seems pretty straight forward. I can get a decent amp that will remote turn on with line level inputs.

I’d like to just tap into line level inputs and really hoping they’re in the back near the sub.

Anyone happen to know where they are? Ie lines for FL, FR, RL, RR.

I thought worst case case I could just use the subwoofer lines but imagine they are not full spectrum so not the best to use.

Hoping I can do this myself. I’ve spent far too many 000’s on custom stereo stuff in my youth and don’t want to do again for the Q7.

The B&O in our Q5 is spectacular in comparison.
TIA all.

Last edited by samps; 02-03-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So so true - I'm watching this thread, I've even thought about just swapping out the stock sub in that nasty plastic case with a new sub and custom box - it's just so awful.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

I wasn't able to find the wiring diagram for non-B&O setup, so can't tell if sub-woofer is self powered (i.e. has additional amplifier), or it's directly fed from 'Information electronics control module'.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks all for the comments so far. I know it may not do much, but I'm going to try putting in an SWS 6.5" sub in place of the stock and put some poly fiberfill in the box to see if it makes a difference. Will report back. I suspect it won't make much of a change - but I'm curious so can't help myself.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

This will help:

Upgrading factory 'Audi Audio' DIY
Old 02-05-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

^ Yes definitely. I've elected to not go the route of adding a separate amp to power a sub. Reading into things, seems like more of a headache than anything, particularly as I'd have to run line level inputs from the glovebox.

I think power, ground is ok. Remote would also be a pain but I can source an amp that has smart remote tech that would turn on with high level inputs.

I was going to try adding an 8" sub per your post, but have elected to try out this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01FR5HDZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01FR5HDZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll just remove the stock sub and wire directly. Hopefully it sounds ok.

Edit:

Thinking of maybe getting an old sub from the 'Bose' system - meaning I'll get an 8" sub vs. the base 6.5" sub. Should be an improvement and also plug and play.

Last edited by samps; 02-05-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by samps
^ Yes definitely. I've elected to not go the route of adding a separate amp to power a sub. Reading into things, seems like more of a headache than anything, particularly as I'd have to run line level inputs from the glovebox.

I think power, ground is ok. Remote would also be a pain but I can source an amp that has smart remote tech that would turn on with high level inputs.

I was going to try adding an 8" sub per your post, but have elected to try out this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll just remove the stock sub and wire directly. Hopefully it sounds ok.

Edit:

Thinking of maybe getting an old sub from the 'Bose' system - meaning I'll get an 8" sub vs. the base 6.5" sub. Should be an improvement and also plug and play.
I have a base sound system too and have been eying that Pioneer 8" sub to swap out. Please update how that works if you simply swap the sub and if there is reasonable improvement.
thanks
Old 02-05-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update:

I have sourced a used Bose subbox and will use this and if needed - replace the sub. So, I will have a base system subbox for sale once I receive it. For anyone with a lease that wants to retain the original and use a second to modify - this may be perfect for you! I'm in Vancouver, BC.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had a shop recommended by a friend just build a box and install a mono amp and integrate into the base system (not Bose, not B&O).

It is 1000% better and I realize now the actual base speakers aren't terrible - the entire system is just really lacking bass.

Went with a JL Audio TW3 - 10" and an XDv2 - 600W amp. Also have a remote bass control **** under the dash that's accessible while in drivers seat to fine tune bass as needed.

If anyone wants either the base system sub enclosure with the 6.5" sub or a Bose system sub enclosure with the 8" sub for upgrading - let me know. I have one of each sitting around in the garage.

Some other notes of relevance:

- power obviously from battery under front passenger floorboard
- ground right in rear trunk area
- remote on from rear accessory
- line level input fed from OE sub speaker line - signal was enough spectrum that sub operates well with LP filter on amp

I think that's it.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

So you bought a mono amp plus sub and simply fed the wire for original sub into the amp and then from there to the new sub and it works good?
I have been thinking about doing just that, something like
Amazon Amazon

One issue is where to put it as the space is really tight in Q7.

Thanks for the update btw.

Quick Reply: Q7 base stereo wiring