Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 Bose Subwoofer Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Q7 Bose Subwoofer Replacement

Ok guys... I have searched the world wide web (including this site and many others) and am looking for some guidance! Like many of you I am not impressed with the bass output of the Bose subwoofer in our 2019 Prestige. I would like to just swap the Bose sub out with an aftermarket sub. I think the 2 I have narrowed it down to should be bolt in replacements without any modifications. From what I have been able to find out (and somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken) is the Bose amp puts out 185 watts to the subwoofer and the sub is rated at 2 ohms and the enclosure is ported with appx. .35 cuft enclosure. With that in mind I have selected the Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8 (8" DVC - 2 ohms) or the Infinity Reference Flex 8S (8" SVC -2 ohms). They should fit without issue (famous last words). Here's some specs:

RF 150 watts 38-250hz 0.25 cuft enclosure 2" voice coils 82db sensitivity $145.00
Infinity 150 watts 25-500hz 0.40 cuft enclosure 1 - 9/16" voice coils 83db sensitivity $150.00

I guess what I'd like to know has anybody used either of these speakers in the application I'm thinking about?

Also has anybody closed off the port in the factory subwoofer enclosure?

Both of these speakers can be used in ported enclosures but the enclosure needs to be much larger and so does the port and don't think the stock enclosure is suitable for a ported application. I've read where some have not been satisfied with upgrading the sub and could have just as well left it be! I'm not trying to waste money but I would like more bass and still leave it factory. Anyone been blown away with just a speaker swap?
Old 06-05-2019, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a Thread on that:

Bose Sub Replacement
Old 06-05-2019, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks but not what I’m after... I want to only use the oem Bose amp and oem sub enclosure with an aftermarket subwoofer. He built his own box and added his sub of choice. If I was gonna go that route I’d add a 10” instead. What he did probably sounds better than what I’ll be able to achieve with just a sub swap but I’m okay with that.

My original questions still stand...
Old 06-05-2019, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Q-Svn
Thanks but not what I’m after... I want to only use the oem Bose amp and oem sub enclosure with an aftermarket subwoofer..
OK, but I have to wonder if the Bose enclosure and/or amp are not part or all of the problem. Keeping those might work but personally i would go with something that has been tested. Plus keeping the amp/enclosure still gives you no extra storage space.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to improve the low frequency output while keeping the stock amp and enclosure, you might want to look at some replacement sub with high sensitivity (close to 90 dB) such as Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 or Infinity Kappa 800W. Plugging the port on the factory enclosure will reduce the sound output further.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by htd4555
If you want to improve the low frequency output while keeping the stock amp and enclosure, you might want to look at some replacement sub with high sensitivity (close to 90 dB) such as Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 or Infinity Kappa 800W. Plugging the port on the factory enclosure will reduce the sound output further.
I'm aware the ported enclosure will have more output. High sensitivity 8" subwoofers are not very common at all... Had seen the Pioneer and liked it but 4ohm and the Infinity is much deeper and would require a spacer ring at the very least. For ported enclosures both speakers recommend appx 1 cuft of enclosure air space and a rather large port. Don't think the oem enclosure is big enough or has the right port length for either of these subs (or any for that matter). Thoughts? Starting to look like there is no easy solution!
Old 06-06-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW, I have the base system so the power output is even less than the Bose system. I've tried the following:

- replacing the 6.5" sub with another - was an improvement, but really nothing noteworthy
- sourced a Bose system sub - replaced sub with a high sensitivity one - nothing noteworthy

The only way to really increase the bottom end is a separate amp and sub.

I ended up with a JL XDv2 600 and 10" TW3 and there is now a world of difference. The base system speakers are not terrible to take up the mids and highs. I have the bass and treble on the MMI set to flat and it sounds better than the B&O system in our Q5.

Total investment is close to ~$1500 USD with professional install (I no longer have the time and patience to do myself), but well worth it.

I would have normally ordered with the upgraded option (Bose in this case) if ordering but we bought off the lot due to the savings (~18% off MSRP).
Old 12-23-2020, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Can you please explain your setup with some photos if you don't mind ? Did you dismantle any panels in front, rear or any other complicated work, i am planning to do the same thing but in my area the professionals are missing, so i have to do it myself, and the car is still under warranty so i better be careful !

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by samps
FWIW, I have the base system so the power output is even less than the Bose system. I've tried the following:

- replacing the 6.5" sub with another - was an improvement, but really nothing noteworthy
- sourced a Bose system sub - replaced sub with a high sensitivity one - nothing noteworthy

I ended up with a JL XDv2 600 and 10" TW3 and there is now a world of difference. The base system speakers are not terrible to take up the mids and highs. I have the bass and treble on the MMI set to flat and it sounds better than the B&O system in our Q5.

Total investment is close to ~$1500 USD with professional install (I no longer have the time and patience to do myself), but well worth it.

I would have normally ordered with the upgraded option (Bose in this case) if ordering but we bought off the lot due to the savings (~18% off MSRP).
Hi,

Can you please explain your setup with some photos if you don't mind ? Did you dismantle any panels in front, rear or any other complicated work, i am planning to do the same thing but in my area the professionals are missing, so i have to do it myself, and the car is still under warranty so i better be careful !

Thanks.
​​​​​​​
Old 12-23-2020, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by samps

Did you keep the original bass enclosure ?

Quick Reply: Q7 Bose Subwoofer Replacement