AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Q7 Buying Advice? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/q7-buying-advice-2965079/)

strathglass 01-05-2019 11:45 AM

Q7 Buying Advice?

Hi
I am new here and am looking closely at getting a new Audi Q7 (never had an Audi before). I am in Ottawa, Canada.
I'm probably looking at the V6 in the mid-tier Progressive configuration with three definite(?) options to start: * Driver Assistance Plus package, * Dynamic Ride package, and * Towing Package with 7 Pin Adapter (I have a utility trailer).
But I would appreciate any thoughts on other options (or comments on above options):
  1. What tire size? Was thinking of 19" default rims. I understand they will ride better, and some suggest the so-called performance edge of the larger rim size is not always realized. What's the real story??
  2. Would I be best to buy after market rims for winter tires, if I wanted to go with nice rims instead of the cheapo steal winter tire rims? Or are there Audi rim options I should consider that are reasonable?
  3. Do I need the Black Optics package to get roof rails, or do you still get them without that? Are those roof rails actually functional (i.e. can I attach roof racks to them)?
  4. Should I get LED headlights for $1000 or stick to Xenon?
  5. Was planning to skip running boards ... does anyone find those useful?
  6. Was going to get the anti-theft wheel bolt option. Is there a better after-market choice?
  7. Any other options anyone would recommend?
Also, when does the 2020 model start deliveries?
Anyone know if they planned changes are worth waiting for? I read there will be a new aluminum body construction that will save hundreds of pounds, sounds like some big changes!?
But not sure if that is speculation or definite yet!

Thanks,

-S.

RJC 1 01-05-2019 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by strathglass (Post 25257540)
Hi
I am new here and am looking closely at getting a new Audi Q7 (never had an Audi before). I am in Ottawa, Canada.
I'm probably looking at the V6 in the mid-tier Progressive configuration with three definite(?) options to start: * Driver Assistance Plus package, * Dynamic Ride package, and * Towing Package with 7 Pin Adapter (I have a utility trailer).
But I would appreciate any thoughts on other options (or comments on above options):
  1. What tire size? Was thinking of 19" default rims. I understand they will ride better, and some suggest the so-called performance edge of the larger rim size is not always realized. What's the real story?? Q7 looks better with larger rims...21 or 22 are best looking and the ride is still very comfy even w/o air susp at least for the 21's
  2. Would I be best to buy after market rims for winter tires, if I wanted to go with nice rims instead of the cheapo steal winter tire rims? Or are there Audi rim options I should consider that are reasonable? Yes to first question
  3. Do I need the Black Optics package to get roof rails, or do you still get them without that? Are those roof rails actually functional (i.e. can I attach roof racks to them)? No/yes/yes
  4. Should I get LED headlights for $1000 or stick to Xenon? LEDs are better and come with pkg
  5. Was planning to skip running boards ... does anyone find those useful? Dont really need them
  6. Was going to get the anti-theft wheel bolt option. Is there a better after-market choice? Maybe but Audi's are good
  7. Any other options anyone would recommend? Prestige, lux, BO's and 22's
Also, when does the 2020 model start deliveries? Guessing Oct/Nov
Anyone know if they planned changes are worth waiting for? I read there will be a new aluminum body construction that will save hundreds of pounds, sounds like some big changes!?
But not sure if that is speculation or definite yet! Loss of wieght was for the current generation and does not change, 2020 gets turbo motor, touch screen dash, loss of exhaust outlets and other cost cutting items...there is lots of info on that in this forum...search is your friend :)

Thanks,

-S.

See above in blue

strathglass 01-05-2019 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by RJC 1 (Post 25257550)
See above in blue

Excellent, thanks for the quick answers!

Audirings4 01-05-2019 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by strathglass (Post 25257684)

FYI it has nothing to do with cost cutting.
Dont be fooled by the uninformed. I find it hilarious that someone thinks no exhaust outlets is cost cutting. Many manufacturers have gone the way of no visible exhaust the past few years. I was not a fan initially but it makes sense. Less to worry about tarnishing and less to clean. For someone who has gone with an aftermarket exhaust of many of his previous cars it also benefits in not having to align and realign the tips until their perfect.

RJC 1 01-05-2019 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant (Post 25257700)

FYI it has nothing to do with cost cutting.
Dont be fooled by the uninformed. I find it hilarious that someone thinks no exhaust outlets is cost cutting. Many manufacturers have gone the way of no visible exhaust the past few years. I was not a fan initially but it makes sense. Less to worry about tarnishing and less to clean. For someone who has gone with an aftermarket exhaust of many of his previous cars it also benefits in not having to align and realign the tips until their perfect.

Of course it's less expensive to use plastic faux finishers rather than actual metal ones that can handle the heat and are functional....not to mention the extra albeit small lenghts of exhaust pipe for each side. It ALL adds up and when you're building 10's or 100's of thousands of vehicles each and every year even $20.00 saved for each vehicle can add up to significant $$$$$$. Eliminating these kinds of things are what corporate bean counters do best...that's why they're all doing it.

RJC 1 01-05-2019 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by strathglass (Post 25257684)

Happy to help...there are a lot of pros for getting the current model...

arU4ic 01-06-2019 09:38 PM

FWIW, I have the 20s, yes the car looks a little better but I wish I had more tire options and I think the Xenon's create better visibility, I've had both.

Vitaly Kovtun 01-07-2019 04:45 AM

As for the MY 2020. You can seat in Q8 inside and it will give you an idea how the 2020 models will look inside. Outside changes are not that drastic. So you can decide yourself which car you like better. Also I'm confused why you are not going for the technik model for MY 2019. The difference is 3k but it adds a lot of luxury features (Led headlight, Interior Lighting plus, B&O sound system. rear sunshades, bigger wheels and wider tires)

strathglass 01-07-2019 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by arU4ic (Post 25258178)
FWIW, I have the 20s, yes the car looks a little better but I wish I had more tire options and I think the Xenon's create better visibility, I've had both.

I haven't figured out the tire options: with the Progressiv I can go from stock 19" to 20" for free in the 10 spoke pattern. Looks like other 20" designs (5 spoke) will involve more dollars, and some option changes!??? I thought the 10 spoke would be more expensive, no?

RJC 1 01-07-2019 07:54 PM

trust me at least get 21's if you can...:)