Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 / Q8 > Audi Q7 > Q7 MKII Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Q7 is C/D's 2019 Best Luxury Mid Size SUV Two Years In A Row

Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The Q7 is C/D's 2019 Best Luxury Mid Size SUV Two Years In A Row

 
Old 01-24-2019, 05:29 AM
  #1  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 332
Default The Q7 is C/D's 2019 Best Luxury Mid Size SUV Two Years In A Row

smacky is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 07:10 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
RJC 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,359
Default

Nice hope this helps keep resale strong..I think the biggest threat to the Q7 will be the new 2020 GLE 450
RJC 1 is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 01:28 PM
  #3  
AudiWorld Member
 
Doc H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: The Wilds of Nebraska
Posts: 415
Default

Originally Posted by RJC 1 View Post
Nice hope this helps keep resale strong..I think the biggest threat to the Q7 will be the new 2020 GLE 450
Had a chance to look at a 450 today at our local car show, and it's huge - usable 3rd row seats even. I would expect a different set of people would be shopping these two cars....
Doc H is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 08:16 PM
  #4  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
RJC 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,359
Default

Originally Posted by Doc H View Post
Had a chance to look at a 450 today at our local car show, and it's huge - usable 3rd row seats even. I would expect a different set of people would be shopping these two cars....
They are direct competitors, the GLS is MB's large SUV.

Now that the GLE comes with an optional third row, it can better compete with the X5, which also has the option, and the Q7, which comes with three rows of seating as standard. That’s why the Q7 has a smaller cargo area compared to the X5 and GLE. All three offer wheelbase lengths that are less than an inch apart.

What were your other impressions?

Last edited by RJC 1; 01-24-2019 at 08:18 PM.
RJC 1 is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 05:11 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Member
 
Doc H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: The Wilds of Nebraska
Posts: 415
Default

Originally Posted by RJC 1 View Post
They are direct competitors, the GLS is MB's large SUV.

Now that the GLE comes with an optional third row, it can better compete with the X5, which also has the option, and the Q7, which comes with three rows of seating as standard. Thatís why the Q7 has a smaller cargo area compared to the X5 and GLE. All three offer wheelbase lengths that are less than an inch apart.

What were your other impressions?
Much more truck-like than X5 and Q7, what I've always considered to be a dated retro interior on MB - could be a refresh in 2020 - analog gauges, round "portholes" everywhere. Good quality switches and leather, very comfy seats. A LARGE tablet pasted across the dash, which I think detracts from the integration of the controls. Also never liked MB's "writing tablet" cantilevered infotainment **** compared to X5 or Q7. It definitely seems larger than either Audi's or BMW's offerings, outside and inside, just my impression. Also briefly sat in the new X5; very similar to the general layout of previous X5, but with larger, graphic-oriented center display; nice graphics, pretty intuitive layout. Seats are definitely less comfy than MB or Audi. Center cupholder cover (it has one!) seemed fairly flimsy with a cheap-feeling open/close mechanism. In fact, surprised by the amount of plastic and the cheaper feel on some of the buttons and controls (compared to MB and Audi) throughout the console. A lot more room in center storage than Audi, and more storage scattered throughout the front cabin. Didn't seem like as much rear storage as in the MB and Audi, and definitely boxier looking exterior. The general layout and gestalt of the cabin controls will be familiar to BMW owners, but I wasn't as impressed by the updates as I thought I would be. Had a chance to try the Q8 as well, a LOT of flat black plastic in the center area with the car off; I can see why it would need constant cleaning. My impression is better quality switches and buttons than BMW, but comparable to MB (although there seemed to be a lot of plastic chrome in the latter). Took some getting used to the haptic feedback, but I can see why you could be distracted fiddling with controls while driving - you have to find the correct "button," push it on the panel and wait for it to respond. All in all I came away more favorably impressed by Audi's offerings.
Doc H is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 05:26 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 325
Default

The dashboard design kills the MB for me. I hate that large flat tablet. It looks like a giant phone they just stuck on the top of the dash.
Corgiman is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 06:46 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
RJC 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,359
Default

Originally Posted by Doc H View Post
Much more truck-like than X5 and Q7, what I've always considered to be a dated retro interior on MB - could be a refresh in 2020 - analog gauges, round "portholes" everywhere. Good quality switches and leather, very comfy seats. A LARGE tablet pasted across the dash, which I think detracts from the integration of the controls. Also never liked MB's "writing tablet" cantilevered infotainment **** compared to X5 or Q7. It definitely seems larger than either Audi's or BMW's offerings, outside and inside, just my impression. Also briefly sat in the new X5; very similar to the general layout of previous X5, but with larger, graphic-oriented center display; nice graphics, pretty intuitive layout. Seats are definitely less comfy than MB or Audi. Center cupholder cover (it has one!) seemed fairly flimsy with a cheap-feeling open/close mechanism. In fact, surprised by the amount of plastic and the cheaper feel on some of the buttons and controls (compared to MB and Audi) throughout the console. A lot more room in center storage than Audi, and more storage scattered throughout the front cabin. Didn't seem like as much rear storage as in the MB and Audi, and definitely boxier looking exterior. The general layout and gestalt of the cabin controls will be familiar to BMW owners, but I wasn't as impressed by the updates as I thought I would be. Had a chance to try the Q8 as well, a LOT of flat black plastic in the center area with the car off; I can see why it would need constant cleaning. My impression is better quality switches and buttons than BMW, but comparable to MB (although there seemed to be a lot of plastic chrome in the latter). Took some getting used to the haptic feedback, but I can see why you could be distracted fiddling with controls while driving - you have to find the correct "button," push it on the panel and wait for it to respond. All in all I came away more favorably impressed by Audi's offerings.
I am looking forward to seeing the new 2020 GLE in the coming months when it hits the dealerships and the Q8 feels cheap/er comp'd to the Q7, but as I've always said the current Q7 is a tough act to beat....get em while you still can.
RJC 1 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Force-1
Q7 MKII Discussion
2
11-17-2018 06:52 PM
Mesquite77
Q7 MKII Discussion
14
01-11-2018 12:32 PM
opus360
Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion
49
09-19-2014 02:40 PM
Young Audi Jedi
A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion
30
11-20-2002 07:17 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Q7 is C/D's 2019 Best Luxury Mid Size SUV Two Years In A Row


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: