Old 01-24-2019, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Q7 is C/D's 2019 Best Luxury Mid Size SUV Two Years In A Row

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...cks-suvs-2019/
Old 01-24-2019, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice hope this helps keep resale strong..I think the biggest threat to the Q7 will be the new 2020 GLE 450
Old 01-24-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Nice hope this helps keep resale strong..I think the biggest threat to the Q7 will be the new 2020 GLE 450
Had a chance to look at a 450 today at our local car show, and it's huge - usable 3rd row seats even. I would expect a different set of people would be shopping these two cars....
Old 01-24-2019, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doc H
Had a chance to look at a 450 today at our local car show, and it's huge - usable 3rd row seats even. I would expect a different set of people would be shopping these two cars....
They are direct competitors, the GLS is MB's large SUV.

Now that the GLE comes with an optional third row, it can better compete with the X5, which also has the option, and the Q7, which comes with three rows of seating as standard. That’s why the Q7 has a smaller cargo area compared to the X5 and GLE. All three offer wheelbase lengths that are less than an inch apart.

What were your other impressions?

Last edited by RJC 1; 01-24-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
They are direct competitors, the GLS is MB's large SUV.

Now that the GLE comes with an optional third row, it can better compete with the X5, which also has the option, and the Q7, which comes with three rows of seating as standard. That’s why the Q7 has a smaller cargo area compared to the X5 and GLE. All three offer wheelbase lengths that are less than an inch apart.

What were your other impressions?
Much more truck-like than X5 and Q7, what I've always considered to be a dated retro interior on MB - could be a refresh in 2020 - analog gauges, round "portholes" everywhere. Good quality switches and leather, very comfy seats. A LARGE tablet pasted across the dash, which I think detracts from the integration of the controls. Also never liked MB's "writing tablet" cantilevered infotainment **** compared to X5 or Q7. It definitely seems larger than either Audi's or BMW's offerings, outside and inside, just my impression. Also briefly sat in the new X5; very similar to the general layout of previous X5, but with larger, graphic-oriented center display; nice graphics, pretty intuitive layout. Seats are definitely less comfy than MB or Audi. Center cupholder cover (it has one!) seemed fairly flimsy with a cheap-feeling open/close mechanism. In fact, surprised by the amount of plastic and the cheaper feel on some of the buttons and controls (compared to MB and Audi) throughout the console. A lot more room in center storage than Audi, and more storage scattered throughout the front cabin. Didn't seem like as much rear storage as in the MB and Audi, and definitely boxier looking exterior. The general layout and gestalt of the cabin controls will be familiar to BMW owners, but I wasn't as impressed by the updates as I thought I would be. Had a chance to try the Q8 as well, a LOT of flat black plastic in the center area with the car off; I can see why it would need constant cleaning. My impression is better quality switches and buttons than BMW, but comparable to MB (although there seemed to be a lot of plastic chrome in the latter). Took some getting used to the haptic feedback, but I can see why you could be distracted fiddling with controls while driving - you have to find the correct "button," push it on the panel and wait for it to respond. All in all I came away more favorably impressed by Audi's offerings.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The dashboard design kills the MB for me. I hate that large flat tablet. It looks like a giant phone they just stuck on the top of the dash.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doc H
Much more truck-like than X5 and Q7, what I've always considered to be a dated retro interior on MB - could be a refresh in 2020 - analog gauges, round "portholes" everywhere. Good quality switches and leather, very comfy seats. A LARGE tablet pasted across the dash, which I think detracts from the integration of the controls. Also never liked MB's "writing tablet" cantilevered infotainment **** compared to X5 or Q7. It definitely seems larger than either Audi's or BMW's offerings, outside and inside, just my impression. Also briefly sat in the new X5; very similar to the general layout of previous X5, but with larger, graphic-oriented center display; nice graphics, pretty intuitive layout. Seats are definitely less comfy than MB or Audi. Center cupholder cover (it has one!) seemed fairly flimsy with a cheap-feeling open/close mechanism. In fact, surprised by the amount of plastic and the cheaper feel on some of the buttons and controls (compared to MB and Audi) throughout the console. A lot more room in center storage than Audi, and more storage scattered throughout the front cabin. Didn't seem like as much rear storage as in the MB and Audi, and definitely boxier looking exterior. The general layout and gestalt of the cabin controls will be familiar to BMW owners, but I wasn't as impressed by the updates as I thought I would be. Had a chance to try the Q8 as well, a LOT of flat black plastic in the center area with the car off; I can see why it would need constant cleaning. My impression is better quality switches and buttons than BMW, but comparable to MB (although there seemed to be a lot of plastic chrome in the latter). Took some getting used to the haptic feedback, but I can see why you could be distracted fiddling with controls while driving - you have to find the correct "button," push it on the panel and wait for it to respond. All in all I came away more favorably impressed by Audi's offerings.
I am looking forward to seeing the new 2020 GLE in the coming months when it hits the dealerships and the Q8 feels cheap/er comp'd to the Q7, but as I've always said the current Q7 is a tough act to beat....get em while you still can.