AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Q7 - Let's project the future!... Cost of maintaining our Q7s (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/q7-lets-project-future-cost-maintaining-our-q7s-3015138/)

munsabin 03-17-2021 09:33 AM

Q7 - Let's project the future!... Cost of maintaining our Q7s

I've done some reading in this Q7 forum but I haven't really come across something to summarize the expected cost of ownership for "bigger ticket" items (maintenance, repairs, new components) for a Q7. I'm hoping to get some good concise information on here that will be helpful to many current / future owners!

I'm bringing this up because I've been spending time identifying what cars I'd like to get for a potentially growing family and I keep coming back to a 2018 Q7 (3.0L, Turbo, V6). I want to take a "risk averse" view of what it WOULD/MAY cost to own the car out of warranty (year 5 to year 10).

Any service that can be made at a 3rd party dealership I trust, I would do so there, and Audi dealership ONLY for services that require their expertise.

I've started a list below some things that I know of, and estimating costs based on what my knowledge and speaking to my trusted 3rd party mechanic - "Master Mechanic" in Toronto, Canada. Please add your knowledge and expertise on here so we can have a 1-stop knowledge base on this. Am I missing anything on the list below?

Please indicate CAD / USD so it's easier for readers - thank you!

Brake & Pads - $550 - 650 CAD (parts and labor) - 3rd party - regularity depends on wear and tear
Spark Plugs - $ 250-300 CAD - 3rd party
Air Suspension (Air Bags) -
Air Suspension - more intricate failure - Dealership - not sure on cost
Timing Belt -
Tires - $1,500 CAD - 3rd party - regularity depends on wear and tear
Oil - $130 CAD - 3rd party - every 15K km / 10K miles

1Move 03-18-2021 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by munsabin (Post 25565743)
I've done some reading in this Q7 forum but I haven't really come across something to summarize the expected cost of ownership for "bigger ticket" items (maintenance, repairs, new components) for a Q7. I'm hoping to get some good concise information on here that will be helpful to many current / future owners!

I'm bringing this up because I've been spending time identifying what cars I'd like to get for a potentially growing family and I keep coming back to a 2018 Q7 (3.0L, Turbo, V6). I want to take a "risk averse" view of what it WOULD/MAY cost to own the car out of warranty (year 5 to year 10).

Any service that can be made at a 3rd party dealership I trust, I would do so there, and Audi dealership ONLY for services that require their expertise.

I've started a list below some things that I know of, and estimating costs based on what my knowledge and speaking to my trusted 3rd party mechanic - "Master Mechanic" in Toronto, Canada. Please add your knowledge and expertise on here so we can have a 1-stop knowledge base on this.

Please indicate CAD / USD so it's easier for readers - thank you!

Brake & Pads - $550 - 650 CAD (parts and labor) - 3rd party - regularity depends on wear and tear
Spark Plugs - $ 250-300 CAD - 3rd party
Air Suspension (Air Bags) -
Air Suspension - more intricate failure - Dealership - not sure on cost
Timing Belt -
Tires - $1,500 CAD - 3rd party - regularity depends on wear and tear
Oil - $130 CAD - 3rd party - every 15K km / 10K miles

Brake Rotors & Pads - $900-1600 CAD (parts only)
Air Suspension (Air Bags Replacement) - $6000-6600 for parts from dealer
Timing Chain - $800+
Tires - $1200 to $2600 depending on rim size

Canadian $$$

SVJ 03-19-2021 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by 1Move (Post 25566388)
Brake Rotors & Pads - $900-1600 CAD (parts only)
Air Suspension (Air Bags Replacement) - $6000-6600 for parts from dealer
Timing Chain - $800+
Tires - $1200 to $2600 depending on rim size

Canadian $$$

I concur with the above brakes parts estimate. Just ordered parts to replace both rear and front brakes from 3rd parties. With tax and shipping it was almost exactly $1000 USD.
Dealer quoted me $1700+ for front and $1200 for the rear. 🤦🏼‍♂️

munsabin 03-19-2021 06:44 AM

So... all hard pills to swallow, but doable... however... that Air Suspension pill... jeeeeez...

What is the likelihood of having to change the air suspension. What are the main reasons for the air suspension to fail?

Is there a way to do a diagnostic the current state of the air suspension system (air bags, compressor, other components, leaks, etc.)? How "used" it's been?

Carl78 03-19-2021 06:27 PM

Air suspension is not standard. If want to avoid that cost, get one with regular suspension.

1Move 03-21-2021 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by munsabin (Post 25566558)
So... all hard pills to swallow, but doable... however... that Air Suspension pill... jeeeeez...

What is the likelihood of having to change the air suspension. What are the main reasons for the air suspension to fail?

Is there a way to do a diagnostic the current state of the air suspension system (air bags, compressor, other components, leaks, etc.)? How "used" it's been?

This is the reason I did not get air suspension. A few buddies are Audi mechanics and said anywhere from 80k-120k (km's) you start to see failures occur. I figured from my previous vehicles and keeping them for a long time I would be changing it at least twice which is a whole new Honda Civic lol. I stayed away from the air suspension personally as per this advice.

V13T 03-29-2021 12:14 PM

I would plan to change the oil in the transmission, and diffs at some point also!

srpuywa 03-29-2021 04:31 PM

doesn't the 2018 have a supercharger - not turbocharger

mhoran89 03-30-2021 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by V13T (Post 25570584)
I would plan to change the oil in the transmission, and diffs at some point also!

i have posted threads about this. i did trans fluid at 70k and it was glittery...

1Move 03-30-2021 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by srpuywa (Post 25570688)
doesn't the 2018 have a supercharger - not turbocharger

There are two engines a 2.0T and a 3.0 Supercharged