Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 MKII 2017>2018 Interior Changes - Dash Display Retract

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattwhit
Newbie Audi owner here… first post too… 2018 Q7 was delivered on Monday… LOVE IT!
I’ve noticed a few things different from the 2017 models. The lighting package was definitely tweaked. I have the Prestige (USA)… there is no longer a “dome” light, the map lights in the front don’t have lighted rings and the options for front lights on, rear lights on is no longer, just one button turns all cabin light on… I had a 2018 Q5 loaner while my Q7 was delayed in port… seems like the overhead controls are identical to the Q5… Also, I’ve read that there used to be lights in the door pockets, no more… some subtle differences… No big deal…

The one change that I’m not too happy about… The retractable dash display can no longer be “retracted” while the ignition is active… It still retracts when you turn the car off but pressing the button on the dash only turns the display illumination off… My sales associate gave me a heads up that Q7’s manufactured after April 2018 would have this change (mine has date code 5/18)… He said that it had something to do with being a distraction… I’m wondering if anyone will come up with a coding hack to disable this stupid change. (I bought the OBDEleven adapter and have tweaked about a half a dozen items)

Any other changes that anyone has noticed?

2018 Q7 Prestige, Samurai Gray, Black Optics
Really love the look of your Q. This is such a nice combo.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GDawgA4
They should have made it pop up automatically if the screen is retracted when you go into reverse. It does that on my '14 A6. I'm curious if it'll do it on our '17 Q7, need to test that later.
In my ‘17 Q7, if the screen is retracted and car is put into reverse, the screen will pop up to show the camera view. When shift back to D, the screen goes down by itself.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by steven@4rings.us

In my ‘17 Q7, if the screen is retracted and car is put into reverse, the screen will pop up to show the camera view. When shift back to D, the screen goes down by itself.
Is this something that can be "fixed' by VCDS? Maybe there's a way to code it to the old way.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
It was done to comply with backup camera regulations. The same thing is now true for A3 models.
this
Old 09-14-2018, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by findalex
Is this something that can be "fixed' by VCDS? Maybe there's a way to code it to the old way.
good question, all depends if the mechanism is still there or also removed in the update
Old 09-14-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
good question, all depends if the mechanism is still there or also removed in the update
The screen still retracts when you turn the car off... you can also retract it if you're just listening to the MMI system (click the volume **** when the car is off)... once you turn the ignition on, up pops the screen... I did find a setting in OBDEleven that enabled the retract option while the ignition was on... as soon as the ignition was cycled, back to factory settings...
Old 09-15-2018, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just bought my Q7 today - arriving in a week. On day one of only any Audi, like any self respecting hacker, I'm going to plug-in and while I'm there I'll look for the bit that changes this feature and share it with everybody on this thread.
The following users liked this post:
Plitteer (06-09-2020)
Old 09-15-2018, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Just bought my Q7 today - arriving in a week. On day one of only any Audi, like any self respecting hacker, I'm going to plug-in and while I'm there I'll look for the bit that changes this feature and share it with everybody on this thread.
Thank you. I have an obd11 and can't seem to find where its hidden. Very annoying that I cannot retract the screen when not needed on an otherwise perfect vehicle.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Wow, that's one thing I love about Q7. Being able to hide the center screen actually is LESS distracting. It allows for better visibility and prevents your eyes from refocusing on interior. It also makes the dash look cleaner. I hide it as soon as I get in the car. I wish someone would find a coding for it to stay hidden by default. I hate all the new dash designs with the "tablet" look. It looks like someone stuck iPad to the dash in a mad last moment "Oh yeah, we forgot about this crap, where is the crazy glue". Just stupid.
i agree, I keep the dash screen on but on roadtrips at nighttime I tend to just use the virtual cockpit and retract the screen to keep the amount of light down. There’s enough data with the HUD and virtual cockpit
Old 10-30-2018, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. New owner here and really disappointed I cannot retract the screen when not in use. Any luck yet using the OBDeleven to enable the retract feature? Any other solutions yet or will we be stuck with this going forward? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Q7 MKII 2017>2018 Interior Changes - Dash Display Retract