Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Q7 Noise In Rear Seat Area

Old 03-19-2018, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I cant hear anything in that "video", but I have a strange noise which I tracked down

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...sound-2936183/
Old 04-11-2018, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Followup

Originally Posted by ringtrick View Post
My ticking noise (car in motion over uneven roads) is most likely coming from the right-mid-seat bolster when it shifts in its metal retainer. The left bolster is dead quiet. I've had brief success using spacers and shims of various materials, but they will not remain in place. I took the car to my dealer on a day with temps in the 60's - NO NOISE. It came back the next morning when temps lowered. With a passenger sitting in the second row on either side - NO NOISE. Back to the dealer soon for another attempt.

P.s. I like my back seat too much to give it up.
Turns out to be the sunroof. Tech followed TSB 2044417/7 and all is well. What a relief!

In conjunction, my trim panel "4M0883858B SF3" was defective and replaced. Not a source of noise.

"DON"T TEXT AND DRIVE!" & (Please stay off that darn phone!). I can't communicate with Heaven.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mjship2001 View Post
I will have to check it out the next time I'm in the car. My mother thinks that it might be coming from a rear air vent but I think it might be the cupholders.
I would cram the rear cupholders with paper towel or something to see if it changed or went away. Finding noise like this can be difficult!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: Noise

Originally Posted by Mjship2001 View Post
Hi all,

There is a noise coming from the rear seat area in my '17 Q7. The car has almost 1,000 miles on it and this noise was apparent since delivery day. We cannot find out what the noise is, and I wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing this. It is a very faint "chirping" noise that only happens when the car is in motion. In the video, turn your volume up high. My phone did not do a good job capturing the sound, but it is there.

Any comments/ideas of what it could be are welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4GcmFlBnPM
I've got a Q7 (6K mi) and we have similar noise coming from what my wife says is the front passenger door. Our dealer said to video it (as you have done) and bring it in to service. It only happens on the highway over 60mph.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl View Post
I would cram the rear cupholders with paper towel or something to see if it changed or went away. Finding noise like this can be difficult!
I tried everything imaginable with my cup holders and it was a dead end.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Possible Q7 Rear Seat Chirping Fix

My wife and I purchased a 2018 Q7 Prestige and ran into this chirping problem within the first 100 miles. It took 3 service appointments but I think they finally got it sorted out. In our Q7, the chirping was occurring in the left and right rear seats. The chirping would immediately silence if you sat in the seat and immediately restart as soon as you moved to the middle seat. If you tilted the seats forward in order to access the 3rd row, the chirping would also stop. The problem was present with the seat backs up or down. The problem was present with the seat belts connected and the rear drink holder padded. The technician at Audi McKinney did a good job of isolating the issue and it appears to be emanating from the horizontal support brace in the lower seat frame. It is a thin piece of metal that sits between the left and right side of the frame and is held in by machine screws. To access this piece, you need to remove the seat cushion. Tightening these machine screws resolved the noise temporarily but the problem returned within 100 miles. The dealership took the problem to Audi's tech support team and the ultimate fix was to replace the entire seat frame assembly for the left and right rear seats. I can't say that this will be the root cause for everyone but as of the moment it appears to have done the trick with our new Q7.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Air Force pilots fill out a "gripe sheet" following every flight, normally addressed and fixed by the maintenance engineers. Here's a list of actual gripes and fixes you might enjoy, that perhaps Audi techs could use (P=pilot, S=tech):

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on back-order.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent.
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

P: #2 Propeller seeping prop fluid
S: #2 Propeller seepage normal – #1 #3 and #4 propellers lack normal seepage

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That’s what they’re for

P: IFF inoperative.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you’re right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.
S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics

P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.

P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget pounding on something with a hammer.
S: Took hammer away from midget.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update to my previous post. Replacing the seat frame did not resolve the problem. The chirping returned within a few hundred miles.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've got a popping type sound that happens when you stop (it's happens just before the car comes to a complete stop). I can't figure out what it is, but am 2,000 miles from my 5,000 mile service so getting it checked then (and keeping a list of whatever else I may find). I'm going to have them check the sunroof too.

I did have a sound coming from the rear seat, but mine was the rear seatbelts hitting the side trim when you turned sharply (and especially if it was a bumpy turn). I looped the seatbelt under the handle that lowers the rear seats, and it keeps it far enough from the side to keep it from hitting.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi,

I had two sound from rear in my SQ7.

1st was loose ashtray in the door armrest. Please check it out if they are correctly clicked in
2nd there were production/plastics covers (e.g. from turbo) which rolled it to the AC tunels under the front seats. You can check it out if there is a sound if you snap your floor need AC vents/tunels exit.

Hope you will get one of it since I can not hear anything on your video.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: