Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 Noise In Rear Seat Area

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,158 Likes on 906 Posts

Just got the car back this afternoon, no creaking whatsoever on my way home. Seems like they "performed sunroof adjustment" and all set. I will keep everyone updated, but if you don't hear from me it's most likely fixed...
Old 04-08-2019, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It has gotten worse now, literally all I could listen to on the way up and back from Vermont this weekend.
Q7 will be going back for another round of warranty work and maybe the third time is the charm.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Ok...I think I have the noise. Its a very faint chirping/sqeaking from the rear seat area. I flipped all 3 seats down in the second row for the drive home tonight and the noise went away. Therefore, I believe I have narrowed it to something in the second row of seats. I hesitate to just take to dealer and risk them making something worse. Anyone have any ideas for me to locate myself and stop the noise? TIA

UPDATE: Its coming from second row seat directly behind driver side. I tap the seat back and can hear something in the seat bottom make the noise....it almost sounds like if you have a bag in the car the zipper handle is clanking against the metal zipper...very faint but enough to be annoying as hell. Might start taking apart seat this weekend as I trust myself more than the dealer

Last edited by Karrera4; 04-17-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Karrera4
Ok...I think I have the noise. Its a very faint chirping/sqeaking from the rear seat area. I flipped all 3 seats down in the second row for the drive home tonight and the noise went away. Therefore, I believe I have narrowed it to something in the second row of seats. I hesitate to just take to dealer and risk them making something worse. Anyone have any ideas for me to locate myself and stop the noise? TIA

UPDATE: Its coming from second row seat directly behind driver side. I tap the seat back and can hear something in the seat bottom make the noise....it almost sounds like if you have a bag in the car the zipper handle is clanking against the metal zipper...very faint but enough to be annoying as hell. Might start taking apart seat this weekend as I trust myself more than the dealer
I think I have the same faint metal "tinking" sound which sounds like it is coming from the passenger-side middle row seat. Did you figure anything out?
Old 04-28-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
I think I have the same faint metal "tinking" sound which sounds like it is coming from the passenger-side middle row seat. Did you figure anything out?
yes exactly same sound but I narrowed mine to the rear seat directly behind driver. I folded it up and put a towel under and then latched. It’s hit or miss. If I have something on the seat it goes away. I’m just trying to get by before I have to take it in.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:55 AM
MNM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've the same noise and will try (most) of above. My initial thoughts were the "hanging" headrests of the 3rd row, they seem to hang loose when fold down
Old 06-13-2019, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sunroof fix (inspect, tighten, lube) seems to be done again and will update accordingly... fingers crossed.
I went for a drive with the shop foreman before dropping it off this week at the dealer and we couldn't hear a damn thing...
Old 06-13-2019, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
This is straight from my repair work order paperwork. Picked up the car last night and it seemed to subside but came back mid-way through my ride home. I have a feeling I will be back to address it again in the near future...

"ROAD TEST AND CONFIRMED NOISE COMING FROM DRIVERS SIDE HEADLINER, PUT HAND ON HEADLINER AND FOUND NOISE TO STOP, FOUND TSB 2044417/7, PERFORMED TSB AND REMOVE HEADLINER AND INSTALL FELT TAP TO CLIPS AND TRIM, REINSTALL ALL PARTS AND REROAD TEST AND IS AS TO AUDI STANDARDS"
My new Q has this problem! So happy I found this!
Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sickk23
My new Q has this problem! So happy I found this!
just replied in the other thread as well... no problem!
Old 07-08-2019, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up my Q7 couple weeks ago and had the exact same noise issues from the rear seat. Dealer was able to locate the noise and did a fix. So far the noise hasn't come back, finger crossed.

Here is their work order description: The slider for the sit was coming in contact with the metal frame under the seat on both center and right rear bench seat. Flipped up right rear seat and removed lower seat felt cover applied felt tape to all areas contacting the seat metal frame

Quick Reply: Q7 Noise In Rear Seat Area