Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 Tiptronic 2018 - Jerking Issue & Changing to Neutral mode while running

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by anishk06
Which one you mean? Both issues are weird or just the first one?
Both.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anishk06
Yes, it is a violent shaking or like jerking or I can say some slipping. This is happening ONLY on auto stop mode. If the auto stop mode activated and the engine stop at a signal then we accelerate the engine start and feel this jerking/shaking/slipping for a second and will run as normal. Can say this is very strange.This will not get at any other operation like manual start or at any other time.

2. Attached video of the transmission. You can see that the car is running at Gear 5 and I am not touching the accelerator pedal, at some point of time the gear number disappeared from the meter and running on neutral mode. If we touch the brake or accelerator suddenly the number will appear.
The 2nd bit is normal (for UK cars anyway) .. If there is no load on the transmission the car will automatically select neural, (it'll even turn the engine off), but if the gradient changes (resulting in required engine braking) then the car will auto select the last gear again and hold that gear until the accelerator is touched.

The "tremor" on initial set off needs looking at, have you been driving through floods?
Old 05-19-2020, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Hourigan
The 2nd bit is normal (for UK cars anyway) .. If there is no load on the transmission the car will automatically select neural, (it'll even turn the engine off), but if the gradient changes (resulting in required engine braking) then the car will auto select the last gear again and hold that gear until the accelerator is touched.

The "tremor" on initial set off needs looking at, have you been driving through floods?
Thanks Kyle.

For the JERKING issue, the AUDI Australia spend lot of weeks for troubleshooting, finally they changed the entire gear box with a new one direct from the factory. However there is no change for the issue. Finally they concluded that this is normal is not an issue and is common for all the cars when is auto stop and accelerate immediately after it auto start. If wait for 1 or 2 sec and accelerate, we cannot trace this jerking. Is it common for all the Q7 diesel models? Have you had this feeling?

Second one I agree that is due to intelligent coasting.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

How is it with auto-stop turned OFF? If OK, I'd leave it OFF. I have a 2020 non-diesel and with auto-stop enabled it can be a little jerky but not like you are describing.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dave_
How is it with auto-stop turned OFF? If OK, I'd leave it OFF. I have a 2020 non-diesel and with auto-stop enabled it can be a little jerky but not like you are describing.
This jerking is only after AUTO STOP turned ON. I believe it is common for all cars with this feature
Old 05-19-2020, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So my question to you is why not leave the feature off?
Old 05-19-2020, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dave_
So my question to you is why not leave the feature off?
I can use that feature OFF however, i just want to find out that is that a technical fault or not because my car is still under warranty
Old 05-20-2020, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I understand, but it sounds as if the dealer is running out of ideas for a fix, and IMHO the feature is iffy at best. How much gas are u saving by using it? I suspect not enough to matter.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 or 2 mpg

Mine doesn't "Jerk" but it can sometimes be less than elegant when re-engaging on throttle up.. (if it's auto stopped as you coast to a junction, then seeing it's clear ask more than a little throttle).

The following users liked this post:
ihabd4 (07-10-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Does it affect how brakes stop the vehicle?

my Q7 brake “grabs” before the smooth complete stops, causing an abrupt stop whenever the auto stop/start is not disabled.

Quick Reply: Q7 Tiptronic 2018 - Jerking Issue & Changing to Neutral mode while running