Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 Tires Wearing Badly

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
There are no TPMS in the Q7.
That's incorrect. There is a TPMS system in the Q7. What there are not are individual pressure sensors in each wheel.

The TPMS in the Q7 works by using the wheel speed sensors to detect minute changes in one wheel's speed as compared to the other wheels. If a tire is deflated relative to the other tires, the difference in wheel speed will be detected and the TPMS alert will be presented.

For this to work, the system needs to know the "nominal" wheel speeds are when the tires are inflated properly. To accomplish this, there is a "store tire pressure" setting in the MMI (see below). However, this is a misnomer: it is not actually storing measured pressures; it is instead storing nominal wheel speed.

It is required to do this calibration step whenever the tire pressures are adjusted to prevent false alarms. There would be no harm in also doing it when the tires are rotated. And yes, if all four tires lost the same amount of pressure, then the TPMS would not detect that.

There is much debate about whether the direct pressure sensing system or the indirect wheel speed sensing system is better. I, for one, am happy not to have sensors in the wheels that have to be dealt with on tire changes, wheel swaps, etc.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree there is a system but I read in to the question about sensor re calibration and since there are no sensors in the wheels they do not need to be re calibrated.

Yes, there is a TPMS system, No there are not sensors in the wheels.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I agree there is a system but I read in to the question about sensor re calibration and since there are no sensors in the wheels they do not need to be re calibrated.

Yes, there is a TPMS system, No there are not sensors in the wheels.
We agree, no sensors in the wheels. We do not agree about need to "calibrate". I guess it might depend on what you mean by "calibrate", but it is necessary to do the MMI procedure of "Store Tire Pressures" when tire pressures have been adjusted.

So, no, there are no individual sensors to be calibrated. But the TPMS system does need periodic calibration, which the MMI calls "Store Tire Pressures".
Old 12-19-2017, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

13,500 miles on our goodyears and they look brand new. We've done a tire rotation at every 5,000 miles.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
We agree, no sensors in the wheels. We do not agree about need to "calibrate". I guess it might depend on what you mean by "calibrate", but it is necessary to do the MMI procedure of "Store Tire Pressures" when tire pressures have been adjusted.

So, no, there are no individual sensors to be calibrated. But the TPMS system does need periodic calibration, which the MMI calls "Store Tire Pressures".
I think we agree on all of the above, just different ways of saying the same thing, the ol' Tomato Tamato thing :-)
Old 04-11-2019, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you go in to get your tires replaced (I know this is really late for the OP), make sure you ask about the treadwear warranty! My Pirelli's were shot at 20k miles, and the treadwear warranty saved me about $500 on a set of the Goodyears.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello, New here, we have had a few small problems, especially with tire sensor, other than that, our dealer here in Stuart Florida has been decent. I did rotate the tire at 20K last week. We do not put a lot of miles, not a daily driver and is now 4 years old.
Can you tell me how to set or access the MMI ? I took a few pounds out as the ride it just too BRITTLE for my wife's liking. It picked up on it and now have the low pressure rear "LEFT" whichever that may be ? You would think they would be a little more consumer friendly and write D (for driver) Read or P (passenger) We love the vehicle...
Will say, when a sensor goes out (water in it according to dealer) you know it, feels like someone is jamming a crow bar into the driveshaft. Violent !
Old 04-11-2019, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

FWIW, I use aftermarket pressure sensors similar to
these these
on my tires and they are accurate within 1 PSI (checked with my gauge) - helps maintain the tire pressures to prevent premature tire wear (I run 34 PSI all around)
Old 04-11-2019, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Bad wear thread

2018 Q7 Prestige 20K mileage:

My tires: Wrangler Duratrac 255/55R19 on custom wheels Discount Tire. Use these in the winter as they have the winter symbol and are for rugged roads. I drive primitive roads with my offroad teardrop trailer and they have a lot of grip. Have done well in the snowy Utah mountains. They are rather noisy. I use the standard Eagle Pilot Sport 20" tires in summer and when not planning primitive roads. Both sets have 10K miles on them and are wearing well. Always rotate at least every 5K.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015Q7Florida
Hello, New here, we have had a few small problems, especially with tire sensor, other than that, our dealer here in Stuart Florida has been decent. I did rotate the tire at 20K last week. We do not put a lot of miles, not a daily driver and is now 4 years old.
Can you tell me how to set or access the MMI ? I took a few pounds out as the ride it just too BRITTLE for my wife's liking. It picked up on it and now have the low pressure rear "LEFT" whichever that may be ? You would think they would be a little more consumer friendly and write D (for driver) Read or P (passenger) We love the vehicle...
Will say, when a sensor goes out (water in it according to dealer) you know it, feels like someone is jamming a crow bar into the driveshaft. Violent !
This section is for the 2nd gen version of the Q7. You have a 1st generation car, so if you post in that forum I'm someone has answers for you.

Quick Reply: Q7 Tires Wearing Badly