Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 v. X7

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my Q5, but if its reliability you like the Lexus RX with the third row might be a consideration. I had an RX for thirteen years before the audi and I loved it. It has 180K now with lots of life left for it's second owner. Unfortunately Lexus has also made a great vehicle ugly with that front end monstrosity, that is what drove me to audi.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by swedesc
I would go with X7 over any Nav./Expedition. You could get a really well equipped X7 for 85k too. In 6 years the Lincoln/Ford will start to look sloppy and cheap like every other Ford product after it ages....
Fully agree with this!! I fail to see the comparison of any German luxury auto to any of these other comparisons that are being made here...i.e., Hyundai, Kia, Lincoln, even Caddy. Nothing ages as well as a German auto! I've had BMWs and MBs long-term (10+ years), and can assure you that even after that long they are rock solid and drive great. Look after them and they'll age very well and look great. Cant say that about any of the other brands...
Old 01-23-2019, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Fully agree with this!! I fail to see the comparison of any German luxury auto to any of these other comparisons that are being made here...i.e., Hyundai, Kia, Lincoln, even Caddy. Nothing ages as well as a German auto! I've had BMWs and MBs long-term (10+ years), and can assure you that even after that long they are rock solid and drive great. Look after them and they'll age very well and look great. Cant say that about any of the other brands...
Can't necessarily wholly agree with this. I used to have many Lincoln, Ford and Mercury products and did hold them 6~10 years at the time. Never got stuck anywhere and they held up quite well with some TLC, even leather interiors (with some visible wear in the lower portion of the driver seat). Granted, these were the products from 80's and 90's, later after that they turned to ****, but from all appearances they are making a comeback. Don't dismiss it out of hand. Look how long Crown Vic held up as a taxi or a police cruiser even though they stopped making them back in 2012 - although maybe that's not a right example of a quality product :-)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Can't necessarily wholly agree with this. I used to have many Lincoln, Ford and Mercury products and did hold them 6~10 years at the time. Never got stuck anywhere and they held up quite well with some TLC, even leather interiors (with some visible wear in the lower portion of the driver seat). Granted, these were the products from 80's and 90's, later after that they turned to ****, but from all appearances they are making a comeback. Don't dismiss it out of hand. Look how long Crown Vic held up as a taxi or a police cruiser even though they stopped making them back in 2012 - although maybe that's not a right example of a quality product :-)
I'm not trying to trash these brands, just stating my observation that these vehicle do not hold up well when compared to the Germans. Right from the body panel gaps and alignment, paint, and the quality of the interior materials and fit and finish. And then the overall drive quality.

I'm sure the Crown Vic example is not a good one. I'm pretty sure I dont want to own that cop car or cab. They served a need, and I'm sure the price was right.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:50 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not trying to trash these brands, just stating my observation that these vehicle do not hold up well when compared to the Germans. Right from the body panel gaps and alignment, paint, and the quality of the interior materials and fit and finish. And then the overall drive quality.

I'm sure the Crown Vic example is not a good one. I'm pretty sure I dont want to own that cop car or cab. They served a need, and I'm sure the price was right.
I can't agree more. Having owned many German and US manufactured vehicles (one of each currently) I wouldn't put my money into a US luxury brand.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Clearly we can't change your mind, but it's really unfair to think that a brand can't improve....and also get worse. It's likely a Lincoln Navigator will have better reliability than the new X7 if current trends continue.

The BMW X7 isn't meant to be seen as a competitor to the Q7....it's sized larger with a way bigger price tag.
You'll be surprised to find out that a fully loaded X7 40i is $1k cheaper than a loaded Q7.
https://www.bmwusa.com/byo.html#!/bu...tions/dtrhqtvp
https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-...R1|8X1|8RF|1D6
Old 01-23-2019, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of these are still running but burning oil/lots of blue smoke coming from the exhausts and transmission whine from what I see of those remaining.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by swedesc
You'll be surprised to find out that a fully loaded X7 40i is $1k cheaper than a loaded Q7.
https://www.bmwusa.com/byo.html#!/bu...tions/dtrhqtvp
https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-...R1|8X1|8RF|1D6
Well, if you literally check all the boxes on the X7 40i, you are at $110K - so it depends on how full "fully" really is...

I checked the configuration and on the X7, you would have to add the $4,200 for the sound-system and about another $2,500 for the night-vision. The trailer-hitch on the X7 is missing, too. Not sure the Alcantara headliner is on that X7, either.

So equally equipped, the BMW is probably $6K more but certainly not $1K less.

Last edited by AudiFanFL; 01-23-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
Well, if you literally check all the boxes on the X7 40i, you are at $110K - so it depends on how full "fully" really is...
Plus the X7 is bult here vs overseas...significant cost saved by BMW
Old 01-23-2019, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL

I checked the configuration and on the X7, you would have to add the $4,200 for the sound-system and about another $2,500 for the night-vision. The trailer-hitch on the X7 is missing, too. Not sure the Alcantara headliner is on that X7, either.

So equally equipped, the BMW is probably $6K more but certainly not $1K less.
I just optioned the car so had it had the same features as a loaded Q7 which I think is a more fair comparison since the X7 seems to have a bit more features than the Audi. That being said, I think the X7 is a pretty good value for what you're getting.

Quick Reply: Q7 v. X7