Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 vs X5 review from former X5 owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sr007
Agreed, not a big fan of the Audi LED headlights. Thats because the NA got dumped with the non-matrix LED lights that is otherwise available in rest of the world. We need to update our regulations!

However, as per my understanding and recollection from a previous discussion on this forum, Audi has moved beyond the need for headlights to swivel. Instead the LEDs brighten up in response to steering wheel direction to illuminate the road ahead.

Audi Lighting Technology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5bB...ature=youtu.be

Watch again.
Start at 1:50

"Outside the US".
Thank you US Regulations for screwing with us again.

Same thing happened to BMW. I got the $1500 add on LED headlights which is supposed to just this, create a tunnel for oncoming vehicles without blinding them "anti dazzle" they called.. Turns out they were crippled in the USA! This is nonsense, to be honest.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I hear you about the regs, but BMW has been hit with them too for their LED technology. However, the lights are just better, period! I see how the Audi is trying to compensate, but it just doesnt pass mustard atleast based on my real-life experience with it

Yes, the LED on X5 is amazing, like I mentioned above we still got the crippled LEDs, they are still very good. Not great, because LEDs on X5 have a very wide spread pattern, you don't get the usual straight line cut-off you get from Xenons, also they don't level up/down properly while driving like Xenons did. When I hit the gas, it would stay steady like it's on a self stabilizing level, but with current X5 with LEDs, it doesn't actively level. It levels when you are driving up hill/downhill, but not "continuously". So I think no matter what car you go with, if it has LEDs, they are most likely crippled by regulations. Thanks to outdated USA laws, and maybe we don't have our own LED factories but we have our own Xenon factories? I don't know the logic or the intention behind these regulations.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre

"Outside the US".
Thank you US Regulations for screwing with us again.

Same thing happened to BMW. I got the $1500 add on LED headlights which is supposed to just this, create a tunnel for oncoming vehicles without blinding them "anti dazzle" they called.. Turns out they were crippled in the USA! This is nonsense, to be honest.
You can however, code the BMW anti-dazzle in the US. You cannot "matrix" your Audi LEDs, however.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can however, code the BMW anti-dazzle in the US. You cannot "matrix" your Audi LEDs, however.

Coding still does not allow 100% functionality. It's half-way there, it adds some of the "tunneling" function but full Euro spec Anti-Dazzle requires hardware upgrade.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Coding still does not allow 100% functionality. It's half-way there, it adds some of the "tunneling" function but full Euro spec Anti-Dazzle requires hardware upgrade.
Same with Audi matrix - hardware upgrade and then coding.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

"..., and dont swivel on turns either....wtf?!?!"
I was surprised to find it on new Q7 as well. My VW Touareg was equipped with lights able to move left-right 15%.

On the other hand, the Q has pretty decent side lights with no pan needed and they work almost as well as primary lights. Less mechanical parts = higher reliability.

@OP:
Nice review! I agree with most if not all observations.
The ugliest thing current (and previous) X5 models exhibit is "recommended" aftermarket hitch receiver. Out of place, out of style, just simply wrong for otherwise very nice car.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sr007
Agreed, not a big fan of the Audi LED headlights. Thats because the NA got dumped with the non-matrix LED lights that is otherwise available in rest of the world. We need to update our regulations!

However, as per my understanding and recollection from a previous discussion on this forum, Audi has moved beyond the need for headlights to swivel. Instead the LEDs brighten up in response to steering wheel direction to illuminate the road ahead.

Audi Lighting Technology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5bB...ature=youtu.be
OP here. Couple of observations on the lights.

I miss the dedicated fogs that the X5 had, the Q7 fogs aren't as good. I loved the BMW LEDs but had to special order them, no dealer kept stock vehicles with them. Frankly the pricing for the BMW LEDs is insane at $1900 even with the auto-brights feature being very cool. I like how Audi charges less for them even though I think they should be standard equipment now.

There is a lot of noise about overly bright headlights now, no idea if BMW will have to back off.

Good observation on this. I missed it in my review.