Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Radio control

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio control

Hi all,
We can switch radio station with the button on steering. Can we use it to switch the shortcut for radio? Is there any way can do that?
Old 01-11-2018, 06:19 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jet963
Hi all,
We can switch radio station with the button on steering. Can we use it to switch the shortcut for radio? Is there any way can do that?
You can use the wheel to scroll to the station you want and then push the wheel in to select the station.. As far as your question about a shortcut, sorry I'm not understanding what you're asking...

Welcome to the forum..
Old 01-11-2018, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to confuse you with unclear question. I know we can use wheel to choose the station we want. I mean we can store favorite stations in shortcut memory.
EX.
1 FM 90
2 FM 90.5
3 FM 91.5
and we can store like 10 shortcuts.
How can I switch radio stations between these 10 favorites? Push the button on steering only jump to the next station, not the next favorite station. Is the question clear? Is there any way to do that? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Yes. Go to the radio screen. Press the left menu button and select presets. Now the steering wheel button will skip between the presets.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Yes. Go to the radio screen. Press the left menu button and select presets. Now the steering wheel button will skip between the presets.
The car does not go back to presets when you re-start it. It goes back to the band of the channel that you were last listening to. So you have to go back thru the menu to get back to presets and be able to switch thru your shortcuts (presets) with the wheel. One of the annoying quirks of Audi.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

One trick, though, especially if you are mainly on SiriusXM radio, is to use the MMI Radio button rather than the steering wheel to get yourself to the preset menu. If you push forward on the MMI Radio button, it will start to cycle through the various options: Sirius XM radio, Favorites, FM, AM... When you set it to Favorites with that button on the pop-up screen, it will also set it to favorites for the VC, so the steering wheel buttons will then cycle you through favorites. I find it faster and easier to push the MMI radio button forwards twice to get to Favorites rather than clicking through the menus on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, if you are mainly on FM radio, you then have to cycle through the other options before getting to the Favorites, so that "advantage" may go away. Last tip that you may or may not be aware of: clicking the MMI volume button to the right or left will also cycle through stations or presets, which again sometimes is easier than the steering wheel controls.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
The car does not go back to presets when you re-start it. It goes back to the band of the channel that you were last listening to. So you have to go back thru the menu to get back to presets and be able to switch thru your shortcuts (presets) with the wheel. One of the annoying quirks of Audi.
It was discussed in the annoying things thread. I learned to live with it, although I wish Audi listened to people and made updates over the air, or during service calls.
Since the 8 preset buttons are useless for anything else, and there is barely more than 8 channels to listen to on FM band, I just use those instead of trying to fight Audi with preset vs all stations reset behavior.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
One trick, though, especially if you are mainly on SiriusXM radio, is to use the MMI Radio button rather than the steering wheel to get yourself to the preset menu. If you push forward on the MMI Radio button, it will start to cycle through the various options: Sirius XM radio, Favorites, FM, AM... When you set it to Favorites with that button on the pop-up screen, it will also set it to favorites for the VC, so the steering wheel buttons will then cycle you through favorites. I find it faster and easier to push the MMI radio button forwards twice to get to Favorites rather than clicking through the menus on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, if you are mainly on FM radio, you then have to cycle through the other options before getting to the Favorites, so that "advantage" may go away. Last tip that you may or may not be aware of: clicking the MMI volume button to the right or left will also cycle through stations or presets, which again sometimes is easier than the steering wheel controls.
Thanks for you tips.
When you set it to Favorites with that button on the pop-up screen, it will also set it to favorites for the VC
But how do I set it to favorite for MMI radio button?
Old 01-12-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

You can also press and hold the MMI touchpad shortcut buttons to store radio stations there (#8 below):

Old 01-12-2018, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jet963
Thanks for you tips. But how do I set it to favorite for MMI radio button?
Originally Posted by RickObe
You can also press and hold the MMI touchpad shortcut buttons to store radio stations there (#8 below):

Not quite sure I understand your question.... if you are asking how to store a radio channel as a preset, you press and hold the buttons above as shown by Rick. That will get you the 1st 8 presets. The remainder (as well as those) can be done using the menus and the MMI ****, though I don't remember the sequence off the top of my head.

If you are asking how to get to the list of already-stored presets that you can then use the steering wheel buttons or the volume button to select, that is what I was trying to explain earlier. Push the Media/Radio button/lever (#5 in Rick's pic above) forward and it will show you which mode you are in for the radio (ie, Sirius XM, Favorites, FM radio, AM radio). Push it forward again within 1-2 seconds, and it will change to the next mode. Keep repeating that until it shows "Favorites." At that point, pause and it will then show you the list of stations that you have stored as your favorites. Leave it there, and your shortcut buttons or the volume button next to the MMI **** will now cycle you through those preset stations. You can put the nav screen or another other screen up on the pop-up display and pushing the volume button to either side will still advance you forward or back to the next preset station. The steering wheel buttons will do the same (though I don't remember if the radio screen needs to be showing on the VC since I tend to do it with the volume button instead..)

Quick Reply: Radio control