Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Rattling noise in sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise in sunroof?

I have a 2017 Audi Q7 and I have taken to the dealer several times to try and fix a rattle that I believe is coming from the sunroof, anyone else having this problem.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paultack
I have a 2017 Audi Q7 and I have taken to the dealer several times to try and fix a rattle that I believe is coming from the sunroof, anyone else having this problem.
is the dreaded sunroof rattle back?
does it sound similar to a loosened bolt just wiggling around at the top of ur brains?

coming from Q5 i had this issue and replace the whole sunroof 2 time under warranty. once around 15k and 35k miles.

befor i traded my car in at 55k i heard it coming back.

i think this is just crazy with audi
Old 12-14-2017, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do a quick search you'll find threads on this issue, Audi has a TSB on this issue supposedly but it's a very invasive fix. Some have gotten away with a felt strip being used someplace (not sure where it was) and others have had basically the entire sunroof removed in which is a huge job.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paultack
I am finally brave enough and had the dealer to replace the sunroof frame. They have been working on it since yesterday, I will report back and let everyone know if that fixes the rattle (and without damaging the headliners and other interior stuff).

Fingers crossed...
Old 12-14-2017, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OP:
What is your vehicle's production date? It's in the lower door jamb area.

ALL:
Our vehicles production date should be in everyone's signature, it truly helps us to see where these issues begin and end.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had this problem and took it into the dealership 6-7 times and dropped the headliner about 3-4 times before it was finally fixed. In the end they just lubricated the crap out of the front corners of the rail and made some type of adjustments. In my case, the felt tape was applied and replacing the frame did not resolve the problem. During this process, the dealership scratched the crap out of my pillars and ended up replacing them.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by discogone
I am finally brave enough and had the dealer to replace the sunroof frame. They have been working on it since yesterday, I will report back and let everyone know if that fixes the rattle (and without damaging the headliners and other interior stuff).

Fingers crossed...
Got the car back this afternoon - so far the rattle is gone. I am still keeping my fingers crossed, who knows if the rattle comes back in the future.

I don't see any damages in the headliner and interior, but I do need to clean up a few grease spots left by the technician.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW - I had the same moonroof rattle/slight-squeak issue whenever I drove over bumps with my 2017 Q7 (manufactured 11/2016) . If I tilted the roof open the noise would go away. I had my 10K maintenance done last week and the dealer (Natick, MA) said they have a TSB so would look into fixing it. Got my car earlier this week and so far the noise is gone - crossing fingers.

This from the maintenance record:
"With test drive of the vehicle an abnormal noise from the sunroof assembly was identified. With reference to TSB 2044417/7 an application of felt tape around several key points was performed."

I also mentioned the right rear seat seats-belt/buckle rattle which they said they could *not* reproduce; it only happens when my kid is in the seat. Guess I will have to sit back there myself and see if I can figure out what is going on.

In overall love my Q7 but this handful of small nuisances (sunroof table, seat/belt rattle, video on reverse parking sometimes not working, various bulb/tail light intermittent malfunctions and the super annoying squeaking brakes) is not something I expect from a $65K German car

Last edited by audipeter; 12-29-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by audipeter
FWIW - I had the same moonroof rattle/slight-squeak issue whenever I drove over bumps with my 2017 Q7 (manufactured 11/2016) . If I tilted the roof open the noise would go away. I had my 10K maintenance done last week and the dealer (Natick, MA) said they have a TSB so would look into fixing it. Got my car earlier this week and so far the noise is gone - crossing fingers.

"With test drive of the vehicle an abnormal noise from the sunroof assembly was identified. With reference to TSB 2044417/7 an application of felt tape around several key points was performed."

I also mentioned the right rear seat seats-belt/buckle rattle which they said they could *not* reproduce; it only happens when my kid is in the seat. Guess I will have to sit back there myself and see if I can figure out what is going on.

In overall love my Q7 but this handful of small nuisances (sunroof table, seat/belt rattle, video on reverse parking sometimes not working, various bulb/tail light intermittent malfunctions and the super annoying squeaking brakes) is not something I expect from a $65K German car
I posted this some time ago regarding the second row seat belt. Since I know the source I haven't bothered fixing it, but think some lube might fix the issue
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...sound-2936183/
Old 12-29-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audipeter

I have the sunroof issue and have put up with it for a while. I’m ready to get it fixed and will share that TSB number when I do. I also have a rattle that may be the seat belts. I agree, problems that shouldn’t be given it’s a 65k+ car.

Quick Reply: Rattling noise in sunroof?