Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Rear camera washer

Old 02-12-2018, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Collurafici
IF my Q has night vision washers? I'll look tomorrow. Never noticed them but never looked either.

OK, had to go look now. Yes, it's there! Now if the other ones were covered that would be nice. I'll admit, I never used to wash my cars to often. Now I find myself going to the car wash at least once a week just to get the sensors working. But here's the sad part and why I hope you can come up with a work around that I am willing to try: I washed my car today. Went to work. On the way home, nothing. All I get is the warning in my gauge cluster telling me that ADC with Traffic Assist not working, sensor blocked. Followed by Lane keeping not available, sensor blocked. It's really sad too. I washed the car today! It's actually still relatively clean considering Chicago just got 10 inches of snow. On a side note, road salt here is horrific. Even with the sensors clean, lane keeping will not find the lanes when the entire road is coated white with salt. I expect that but the sensor thing is infuriating. Either make them see through the crud like the other warning sensors or put washers on them Audi!

Looks like I'm with you on this one. When the weather warms up, I'll get under there and figure something out.
I've never had my ACC stop working due to salt. Only when there is 1/4 inch or more of slush impacted upon the domes. You might want to have the dealership take a look at yours to see if it needs calibration or something.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine get packed with a hard crusty salt coating. You need a wet towel to get them clean.

Which reminds me. My last two cars had back up cameras. As the cars got older, the view degraded. I’m just realizing now that I probably was scratching the lens by constantly rubbing the dirt off with my finger.

Come onnnn Audi.

Last edited by Paul Collurafici; 02-12-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Mispelt word.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:13 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Okay. I was waiting to see if there was any interest before I post detailed pics and instructions. Warning: it involves drilling through a part (but not metal). There may be better ways, but what I did works. My next one to tackle is the ACC radar domes. The night vision sensor already has it's own washer that comes on when the headlight washers activate. I don't really care about the front camera and it looks like it would be hard to get to and do without looking horrible. The side cameras (under the side mirrors) don't really get dirty and there's no water source nearby. I think the lane assist runs off the camera in the windshield, so nothing to do there. Side assist is radar inside the fenders, so again, nothing to do there.

I have photos. I will get together instructions complete with photos and parts list/sources over the next few days. Be patient, real busy now, it will take me a while to get it all together.
Very interested to see how you did this, and exactly what you drilled..
Old 02-13-2018, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JT4
Very interested to see how you did this, and exactly what you drilled..
You may be surprised at what I drilled. It's not really pretty, but it is at least functional.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Wires, could post a photo of the spray nozzle for the rear camera on your SQ5?
There was another discussion about this camera housing / washer nozzle on the 2018 Q5 before. It was the first solution that came to mind - wonder if it could be retrofitted to the Q7 (Do the new 2018 Q7s have this feature?)
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2018, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
There was another discussion about this camera housing / washer nozzle on the 2018 Q5 before. It was the first solution that came to mind - wonder if it could be retrofitted to the Q7 (Do the new 2018 Q7s have this feature?)
Interesting. I have a 2017 Q7. Would like to know from someone with a 2018 if this was added.

The Q5 nozzle looks very similar to the one used for the front facing night vision camera. On the Q5 rear camera, it is clear that it is integrated into the rear lid release button unit along with the camera. So if that Q5 part happens to fit on a Q7, and if the camera and release switch are compatible, then I suppose one could install the Q5 part on a Q7 and hook up the water supply. I would have to check if the camera is removable from that unit. If not, then I would think purchasing the entire switch/camera as one unit would be a pretty expensive part.

BTW, total cost for my mod was about $15-20.

Update: After looking at my Q7 switch/camera unit, the shapes are very different, so they would not be interchangeable.

It might be possible to mount a nozzle right into the switch/camera housing, if one could find an appropriate nozzle. (This is not how I did mine.)

Last edited by RickObe; 02-13-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine get packed with a hard crusty salt coating. You need a wet towel to get them clean.

Which reminds me. My last two cars had back up cameras. As the cars got older, the view degraded. I’m just realizing now that I probably was scratching the lens by constantly rubbing the dirt off with my finger.

Come onnnn Audi.
Gotta be careful. I take a wet and a dry paper towel. Place the wet one on the camera and let is loosen up the dirt/salt, then gently wipe away. Then gentle wipe with the dry one
Old 02-13-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi needs to bring back some retro to solve the dirty front/back cameras
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Gotta be careful. I take a wet and a dry paper towel. Place the wet one on the camera and let is loosen up the dirt/salt, then gently wipe away. Then gentle wipe with the dry one

or... Audi could catch up to Ford which already has this feature.
Ha! Found on a $30,000 Ford but not on my $90,000 Audi.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

or... Audi could catch up to Ford which already has this feature.
Ha! Found on a $30,000 Ford but not on my $90,000 Audi.
Totally agree a washing system should exist, given how dependent we are on cameras and sensors now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear camera washer