Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Rear camera washer

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Totally agree a washing system should exist, given how dependent we are on cameras and sensors now
Never really thought about it much, since I am a southern CA Native, and we just don't get our cars that dirty. I have been traveling a bunch to Wisconsin, MN, and Illinois.. I totally understand the issue in those areas where the salt, snow, road grime, etc, just totally mess up everything.
To that end. I wonder what percent of the cars delivered to USA "Need" the washing system beyond their windows. Maybe it should be included in the "Cold Weather" pack.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the stream of water at the end of the video?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by timshuwy
Never really thought about it much, since I am a southern CA Native, and we just don't get our cars that dirty. I have been traveling a bunch to Wisconsin, MN, and Illinois.. I totally understand the issue in those areas where the salt, snow, road grime, etc, just totally mess up everything.
To that end. I wonder what percent of the cars delivered to USA "Need" the washing system beyond their windows. Maybe it should be included in the "Cold Weather" pack.
Thats a good idea. Cold weather pack = cold winters = snow/ice = slush / salt /
However, the rain makes the cameras dirty as well
Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

My issues are from when it starts to melt, and everything gets covered in brown sludge/spackle. My understanding is the headlight washers are a German law requirement, but I have found zero use for them where I live. The "spackle" off the road dries on the lights, and then the washers really don't do anything other than spraying washer fluid down my clean vehicle once it's washed.

Haven't had much experience on how well the rear washer works on the camera (probably ok since you're not getting as much wind drying it off)
Old 02-14-2018, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor K
The stream at the end is the remaining fluid draining out of the hose/nozzle. It looks pretty huge in the video because it is very close to the camera. In real life, it is a pretty tiny stream, maybe 1/16 inch thick. There is a bit of fluid wasted because of this, but not much.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor K
Thats the water stream that op rigged to wash the camera. Would be hilarious to see from behind...
Old 02-14-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Paul Collurafici
IF my Q has night vision washers? I'll look tomorrow. Never noticed them but never looked either.

OK, had to go look now. Yes, it's there! Now if the other ones were covered that would be nice. I'll admit, I never used to wash my cars to often. Now I find myself going to the car wash at least once a week just to get the sensors working. But here's the sad part and why I hope you can come up with a work around that I am willing to try: I washed my car today. Went to work. On the way home, nothing. All I get is the warning in my gauge cluster telling me that ADC with Traffic Assist not working, sensor blocked. Followed by Lane keeping not available, sensor blocked. It's really sad too. I washed the car today! It's actually still relatively clean considering Chicago just got 10 inches of snow. On a side note, road salt here is horrific. Even with the sensors clean, lane keeping will not find the lanes when the entire road is coated white with salt. I expect that but the sensor thing is infuriating. Either make them see through the crud like the other warning sensors or put washers on them Audi!

Looks like I'm with you on this one. When the weather warms up, I'll get under there and figure something out.
Active Lane Assist just uses the windshield mounted camera for lane detection. I'd suspect you have an issue with the camera, or something partially blocking it.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
Active Lane Assist just uses the windshield mounted camera for lane detection. I'd suspect you have an issue with the camera, or something partially blocking it.
Not sure, but in my X5 the mirror cameras (underneath the side mirrors) have something to do with identifying lane markers also I believe; I always make sure the external cameras are clear before I drive (something I never had to do in my 1967 VW!). And no cameras or sensors will identify lane markers if they are too faint or covered with snow, ice or dirt...if you can't see them, neither can your car.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Doc H
Not sure, but in my X5 the mirror cameras (underneath the side mirrors) have something to do with identifying lane markers also I believe; I always make sure the external cameras are clear before I drive (something I never had to do in my 1967 VW!). And no cameras or sensors will identify lane markers if they are too faint or covered with snow, ice or dirt...if you can't see them, neither can your car.
I think I read somewhere in Audi docs that the mirror cameras are just used for 360 view.

Great point on cleanness of the cameras. Another is sun shining right into the windshield. If you have to pull down the visor and have the sunglasses on, chances of it doing great at lane detection is poor.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
I think I read somewhere in Audi docs that the mirror cameras are just used for 360 view.

Great point on cleanness of the cameras. Another is sun shining right into the windshield. If you have to pull down the visor and have the sunglasses on, chances of it doing great at lane detection is poor.
Too true; modern autos are wonders of remote sensing technology, but we become very dependent on them. One of the frustrating things on the Bimmer is that in freezing rain, sleet or snow, the front sensors become coated with ice, and the proximity sensors then continuously light up and eventually turn off with the message that "collision avoidance," ACC and all front-sensor functions are disabled (just when you are likely to need them). I noticed that a swarm of Miidwest grasshoppers can do the same thing. Hopefully the Audi is an improvement, but may just be the nature of the beast....

Quick Reply: Rear camera washer