Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Rear Lift game opens on its own

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Lift game opens on its own

Hi,
2017 Q7 - noticed when I went in garage rear lift gate had opened about a quarter of the way by itself. last week opened garage door from outside and garage door only went up about 3 feet. I closed it and tried again and same thing happened. I looked under garage door and rear lift gate was open and was blocking garage door. I went inside garage door and was able to disengage lift gate from garage door and was fortunate there was a small gash-dent from metal on garage door that had hit the rear lift gate.

Both times it opened I had not hit the button and was nowhere near the car.

Has anyone had this experience? thanks.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

make sure you dont have a fob lost in the sofa or bed; and take it out of your pocket when you get home..

I pop the trunk of my wife's car all the friggin time, like but dialing.

Last summer I kept noticing the flashers on a neighbors car going off, was random and went on for 3 nights in a row.. I went out to check out the car and I stood there and looked at it for 10mins at least with nothing; then suddenly flashers went off and I heard a thunk of the locks.. Left a note for the owner (wasent sure the house) saying I think there lost key is in the bed, next night the problem had been resolved
Old 03-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same thing happened twice. Both times were while the car was parked in the garage. The first time was when the garage door was open. I just figured that I must have forgotten to close the tailgate which I had never done before. The second time was when the garage door was closed. Fortunately there was just enough space behind the car so that the tailgate didn't hit the garage door.

I still can't figure out how the tailgate could have just opened by itself. I wonder if there is a defect in the car, perhaps there are some signal interference from other sources, or I unknowingly pressed the key fob in my pocket somehow. Now I always park the car as far in as possible so in case the tailgate opens by itself again, it won't hit the garage door.

Last edited by MatterFact; 03-17-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Happen to me a few times but the FOB was on my person....I acutally was sitting on it and my son might have did it the second time. I make sure i put the fob up when i get home and its hasnt happen again. Im still a little leary though
Old 03-17-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I wrestle with this constantly. I do put my FOB on my desk as soon as I get home, but from a practical standpoint, I have to have it in my pocket at times and the sensitivity of the FOB has caused some issues. Most recently, while preparing to unload my bikes from my hitch rack, I had the FOB in the pocket of my shorts and when I bent over, the FOB was compressed slightly in my pocket, releasing the hatch, which then collided with my bikes. No bueno.

I had hoped that putting a cover on the FOB (see image) would decrease the sensitivity enough to prevent accidental key presses, but no luck

I never had this problem with my previous SUV's key FOB. I'm wondering if there is a different case/cover out there that would still fit comfortably in my pocket, still transpond to the vehicle for unlocking in proximity, but prevent accidental key presses (and preferably something better than sticking the FOB in an Altoids box in my pocket).
Old 03-17-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I keep my key on a carabiner, outside of my pockets. No issues so far.

The only strange behavior I noticed on my Q7 so far is if I push the button to disable the Auto Start/Stop right after starting the engine, the driver's side rear window moves a bit. Why? I have no idea - LOL...
Old 06-26-2017, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This has happened to me on three occasions (once every few months), and only when parked in my garage. Keys were on the counter all night each time and there was definitely no accidental button pressing. Has anyone else had this occur where the accidental button pressing wasn't the cause?
Old 04-20-2018, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Was anyone able to find root cause of rear hatch opening on its own or get their issue resolved with Audi? It happened to me with my 2018 Q7, and Audi said they could not find anything wrong and chalked it up to user error. In my case, there was no way that the key could have been depressed accidentally.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Possible Q7 Upgrader
This has happened to me on three occasions (once every few months), and only when parked in my garage. Keys were on the counter all night each time and there was definitely no accidental button pressing. Has anyone else had this occur where the accidental button pressing wasn't the cause?
Did you get it resolved? If so, I'm curious if anything was done.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As it turns out, I am having the same problem with my new Q7. One question I have is whether anyone has had the trunk pop open when the car was locked or, alternatively, has this only happened for folks when their car was unlocked. I ask since (a) mine has only had this happeneso far when the car was unlocked in my garage and (b) this will be a much bigger problem for me it the hatch pops open randomly when the car is locked on a city street or in a public parking lot. Thanks in advance for whatever you can share.

P.S., Please note that I also put this note in the parallel thread entitled "Trunk Opening Randomly" since it seems to be covering the same issue: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...domly-2943683/

Quick Reply: Rear Lift game opens on its own