Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Rear side airbags

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear side airbags

What are people's opinion on this? I don't see this as a standard order option by most dealers who have stock around me. I get that if you have small kids having these air bags *could* be dangerous if they are not sitting up correctly. On the other hand it seems as if air bags in general are always a good thing to have so why would this be optional? I'd think Audi would want to have the safest car they could make and not make *safety* optional.

I have an order that I have a few more days I could probably adjust to add this but for now I did not include it.

If you have the car did you get the rear air bags?
Old 03-27-2016, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mwoc
What are people's opinion on this? I don't see this as a standard order option by most dealers who have stock around me. I get that if you have small kids having these air bags *could* be dangerous if they are not sitting up correctly. On the other hand it seems as if air bags in general are always a good thing to have so why would this be optional? I'd think Audi would want to have the safest car they could make and not make *safety* optional.

I have an order that I have a few more days I could probably adjust to add this but for now I did not include it.

If you have the car did you get the rear air bags?
The car still has side curtain airbags. I have smaller kids so I left the optional side bags out.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I orderes my car and wanted the side airbags- hope to never use them... I had not seen many dealer inventory cars with that option.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:55 PM
mbr
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered them on my car
Old 03-28-2016, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have 2 kids and one of the things that was not available for the x5 M50d we drive now. I had them in the q5. My take on this is that if you are in a side crash, anything between the object and kids is good. Also the q7 is very wide, even in the q5 there was ample space between the door and the child seat, a lot more in the q7. Also Audi took back their earlier non recommendation for side rear airbags. One of the reasons I bought the etron now.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered mine with it, then the sales guy said his dealership warns all customers not ordering it - because it unsafe for kids. So I took it off the order list. When I got home, I thought, just as someone said above, more cushin the better, so I called back and reordered. This time they got the manager talking with me and explained further - what he said was "look, it has the side curtain, the side airbag from the seat will further protect an adult. But I saw your six year old when you were test driving. So I truly strongly advise you to not order it. It might be okay when a kid in a full child seat but not for kids in a booster. Their head and neck will be right next to the airbag when they fell asleep (we all know how they sleep with their head cocked to one side) there maybe enough force to break their little necks, so I would not do it.

So I took it off. I figure if he was going to take that extra mile of not selling me something, and I can relate to exactly what he was saying on how little kids sleep in the car when they are on booster seats only- that he really mean it sincerely. The curtain should be enough.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here is my thread from 2010!!! 😊 I thought the topic sounded familiar!
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2795246/page3/
Old 03-28-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was interested in ordering this but the sales manager said in email : "Audi does not recommend the rear side airbags if you have children."
Old 03-28-2016, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Map of the airbags. The rear airbags are actually very small.
Attached Images  

Last edited by kip1; 03-29-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lapi
I was interested in ordering this but the sales manager said in email : "Audi does not recommend the rear side airbags if you have children."
I think we need a better definition of "children". Are we talking about infant seats and booster seats? My 12 year old twins are 5'6" tall and weigh 115 pounds. That is the same height and weight as some adults, so I'll be ordering the rear air bags for my "children".

Quick Reply: Rear side airbags