Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Rear wiper insert is pretty much garbage -- suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
I looked in to replace the FRONT wipers and was suggested to us PIAA and was sourced this review here: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...-for-your-car/

I know we're talking about the rear wipers here but the front ones have been an issue for me, too.
Have you tried cleaning and lubing them? Washing, the sun, heat and environmental dirt can affect the rubber inserts.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by allsyst3msgo
Great to have confirmation on the Trico blades. It's nice to have >1 non-OEM option...
I ordered the damn Bosch wiper as part of a 1-day shipping order last week, and it's still not here. I'll update you when i receive, but it'll probably not rain for a month then :-)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Have you tried cleaning and lubing them? Washing, the sun, heat and environmental dirt can affect the rubber inserts.

I've never actually heard of lubing wipers so I'm not sure how I would do that. I'm referring to the blades and not the actual arms/unit.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
I've never actually heard of lubing wipers so I'm not sure how I would do that. I'm referring to the blades and not the actual arms/unit.
Clean the inserts with a washrag and some sudsy car wash shampoo, after rinsing/drying add something of your choice to lube/replenish the rubber, this in many cases stop chattering and improves the cleaning action of the insert. You'll be amazed at how black the rag will be and how dry the insert is.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Clean the inserts with a washrag and some sudsy car wash shampoo, after rinsing/drying add something of your choice to lube/replenish the rubber, this in many cases stop chattering and improves the cleaning action of the insert. You'll be amazed at how black the rag will be and how dry the insert is.
That "something" - someone recommended GooGone - can it be used?
Old 09-23-2018, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by dohturdima
That "something" - someone recommended GooGone - can it be used?
I dip the end of a cloth in windshield washer fluid and wipe the blade edge down with it.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I ordered the damn Bosch wiper as part of a 1-day shipping order last week, and it's still not here. I'll update you when i receive, but it'll probably not rain for a month then :-)
Did you mean *not stop raining*...lol...it's getting a tad depressing....
Old 09-25-2018, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like this suggestion, but my God...my Q is garage parked only, and this was a problem right from the start -- it's just become more irritating as we've had a lot more rain recently and I finally decided to post to the board about it. I've never had a shi**ier wiper ever any car I've ever owned, bar a 1985 Chevy Cavalier. But the possibility that we have to rejuvenate a brand new OEM blade is a bit ridiculous.

Nevertheless, it's cool you've been able to make it work, whether brand new or weather-worn.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by allsyst3msgo
Did you mean *not stop raining*...lol...it's getting a tad depressing....
My Bosch arrived and I used it over the weekend with heavy rain. Pleased to report that the wiper is smooth, noise free, and cleans very well! I get it that its new, but the OEM was always crappy since new
Old 09-25-2018, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

+2 on the Bosch - thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Rear wiper insert is pretty much garbage -- suggestions?