Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Remote Start Q7 4M

Old 01-03-2019, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Remote Start Q7 4M

Anyone installed a remote start for a 2018+ Q7 that hasn’t required an additional FOB? (Or can be used via a phone app instead of another remote)? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Seen a couple posts related to it, but none specifically for a 2018 Q7 with success.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Search this forum section for "viper". There are a couple of extensive threads. I have Viper in my 2017 Q7. Works great. Works via app, no extra fob to carry. However, keep in mind that with this and probably all remote start setups, you have to sacrifice a regular key fob that is buried under the dash. You either have to order and extra from Audi or go without your spare fob.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using compustar and drone mobile. Was installed by Best Buy. We used the cheap fob and mainly use the app 99% of time. Works very well.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Search this forum section for "viper". There are a couple of extensive threads. I have Viper in my 2017 Q7. Works great. Works via app, no extra fob to carry. However, keep in mind that with this and probably all remote start setups, you have to sacrifice a regular key fob that is buried under the dash. You either have to order and extra from Audi or go without your spare fob.
I knew you had to sacrifice a key but I didn't realize it was in the car actually. Wouldn't that mean someone can break the window and start the car since the key would be there already? Are you able to unlock the car and then go in without a key and start it?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SarhoshAmiral
I knew you had to sacrifice a key but I didn't realize it was in the car actually. Wouldn't that mean someone can break the window and start the car since the key would be there already? Are you able to unlock the car and then go in without a key and start it?
Still need to have a key on you to drive off - otherwise the engime will shut off in 15 seconds unless you press on the brake pedal with a working key in your possession
Old 01-05-2019, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SarhoshAmiral
The key is buried up under the dash with no battery in it. In theory, a thief could break into the car, take down the under-dash panels, fish the key out of there, place it on the special spot in the center console, start the car and drive away. But they would have to know what they were looking for, so that doesn't worry me.

If you get in the car without a regular key, it behaves just like it does before Viper installed. No go.

If you get in the car after it's been remote started, as soon as you open any side door, or as soon as you step on the brake pedal, the engine quits and will not restart without a regular key. And if the car was locked when you remote started it, it remains locked until you use the regular key fob to unlock it.
The following users liked this post:
Kidentist (11-13-2023)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ultimate frustration is that if you want a car with the features you'd like as an American, living in hot or cold climate you buy a Buick or a Chevy. They drive and sound like junk, but all the toys are there and they work. Fine for daily stuff, but not a long drive. Or you can enjoy the drive and comfort and suffer from German stubbornness and arrogance. Or you could go Swedish and deal with a touch screen interface even more frustrating than the Germans. Arrgh!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,155 Likes on 905 Posts

Go with a Fortin module. Uses MyCar app and is great. Super cheap yearly subscription (under $40).
See who installs them in your area. Remember you need to loose a key, so if you want two spares you need to eat the $500+ for a key and programming.