Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Replace 2018 Q7 side "molding"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace 2018 Q7 side "molding"?

Hi,

Just picked up a 2018 P+ Q7 for the wife. Hate the side moldings. Wondering - has anyone replaced these/removed these? If so, what's the recommended process/part #'s/etc? See attached photo for what I'm referring to - don't know the technical term.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2017, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Curious as to what you don't like about them or what you would want to replace them with? Is it the contrast of the chrome with the dark vehicle? Those trims pieces are blacked out in the black out package so hopefully someone has a part number for the piece in black if that's what you'd prefer.
Just a thought: you choose try blacking it out yourself with PlastiDip. A lot of people use that to black out areas on the car, including wheels. It can be peeled off and removed if you don't like it but actually holds up well if you do like it. Not sure if anyone has done it with that trim piece but it seems like an ideal place for it. Can be purchased at most hardware stores in the paint area.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
Curious as to what you don't like about them or what you would want to replace them with? Is it the contrast of the chrome with the dark vehicle? Those trims pieces are blacked out in the black out package so hopefully someone has a part number for the piece in black if that's what you'd prefer.
Just a thought: you choose try blacking it out yourself with PlastiDip. A lot of people use that to black out areas on the car, including wheels. It can be peeled off and removed if you don't like it but actually holds up well if you do like it. Not sure if anyone has done it with that trim piece but it seems like an ideal place for it. Can be purchased at most hardware stores in the paint area.
Wasn't aware that there was a black-out package. Like the idea of swapping out with a different part #.

Regarding your question, yeah, they just look cheap and silly with the silver vs. black contrast. The only thing I don't like about the vehicle, but I really, REALLY don't like it.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Is it possible to tint those, are they easily removed/replaced?
Old 10-29-2017, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Per the service manual, that lower trim piece, actually goes to bottom of car, and are called front and back "door covers".
Q7 front and back door covers
Old 10-29-2017, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Instructions say to heat it up, break the "seal", then pry from top and push down.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
Instructions say to heat it up, break the "seal", then pry from top and push down.
Sound like a lot more risk than a can of plasti dip. OP you should at least try out the plasti dip first and see if you like the look. It is really easy to remove later if you decide to change the blades or have them painted.

Grey

*Edit - Autocorrect got me.

Last edited by Greystoke; 10-29-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great suggestions, guys. I think I'll give the plasti-dip a shot before I start pulling my side moldings off, but thanks to Mesquite in particular for providing the detail. I'll share photos after the plasti-dip cover.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
Per the service manual, that lower trim piece, actually goes to bottom of car, and are called front and back "door covers".
Q7 front and back door covers
Wow so it's not just a simple clip on plastic trim.
Too much work in my opinion.

the only problem I see with plastidip is well it looks really bad in most applications, maybe if you get a glossy one so it cover imperfections? It's just not something I would do on a 70k+ vehicle.

​​​​​​Try dipping some other random stuff like plastic panels or boxes or toys or something and see if you like the texture.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Wow so it's not just a simple clip on plastic trim.
Too much work in my opinion.

the only problem I see with plastidip is well it looks really bad in most applications, maybe if you get a glossy one so it cover imperfections? It's just not something I would do on a 70k+ vehicle.

​​​​​​Try dipping some other random stuff like plastic panels or boxes or toys or something and see if you like the texture.

Good luck.
I personally would just use the plasti dip to verify you like the look. After that get the panels professionally painted.

Grey

Quick Reply: Replace 2018 Q7 side "molding"?