Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Replace run-flat tires with regular tires on 2018 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
Can anybody assure me that as I travel Route 64 through West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois that roadside assistance would be able to find me, much less actually assist me, on the same day that I called. For example, Costco denies even having the ability to order a new Pirelli Scorpian tire for me. Sam's Club can order it but it takes at least 3 days to get it. How about Montana and most of the western states, except maybe California? The point I am making is that my Q7 is my travel vehicle and how much assistance exists outside of the major metropolitan areas?

And because of this even though I have plugged a screw hole in the middle of the tread in one of my run flats and fully expect to not have a problem with it, I have ordered a new tire. I won't be travelling outside the metro area until it arrives.
I’m sure roadside assistance could find you. It’s amazing that we managed to survive before cell phones and nav.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I've driven for years with plugs in my run flats with no issues. I'm thinking if you're doing that sort of travel, and are that concerned, take the bus.....
Old 03-18-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run flats are more expensive, heavier, poor ride quality and handling. I am going to see if the dealer will deliver without run flats tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
I've driven for years with plugs in my run flats with no issues. I'm thinking if you're doing that sort of travel, and are that concerned, take the bus.....
Planes, trains, and automobiles (yes, even buses) all break down too. It's just best not leave home, ever!
Old 03-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by M0J0
Run flats are more expensive, heavier, poor ride quality and handling. I am going to see if the dealer will deliver without run flats tomorrow.
I think they come with the car, so dealer probably won't swap them out. Aren't you getting the air suspension? In any case, you're not going to notice a difference, especially with air suspension, unless, you're going to ask for a swap to summer performance tire.

If you haven't ordered yet, or maybe you can change the order, you might add the optional 21"s which will come with performance summer tires if you can't deal with run flats.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sambub
I think they come with the car, so dealer probably won't swap them out. Aren't you getting the air suspension? In any case, you're not going to notice a difference, especially with air suspension, unless, you're going to ask for a swap to summer performance tire.

If you haven't ordered yet, or maybe you can change the order, you might add the optional 21"s which will come with performance summer tires if you can't deal with run flats.
I will just wait till they wear out. And, I bet I could notice. I guess in three years I will find out.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:37 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by onthemove222
Has anyone replaced their run-flat tires with regular tires on their 2018 Q7? Was there a difference in the ride? Did you change the size of the tire, or just switch the type of tire?
I haven't changed out the runflats on the Q7, but 2 years ago my son replaced the runflats that came on his new Q50S with Michelin A/S 3+.. The runflats only had 1,500 miles on them at the time, but the difference in ride, handling and tire noise was immediately noticeable. And the difference in wet weather traction alone was worth the money.

The good thing for him was that although the Q50S had runflats, it came with the spare tire option so the switch was a no brainer. When his lease is up at the end of the year the runflats will be going back on.

So if I had to guess, I would expect the same results if I switched out the runflats on the Q7..