Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Replacement for OEM tires - 295/40ZR-21 Continental Extreme Contact DWS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Replacement for OEM tires - 295/40ZR-21 Continental Extreme Contact DWS

I got less that 20K from my OEM Conti's... dealer quoted me an outrageous price with no regret for new ones. They also have a no repair policy, which states that they'll replace one if needed. But since it's a quattro and you're not supposed to replace single tires that would create various levels of tread, I've decided to look elsewhere for tires.

Thanks to this forum and others, I've picked up a set from TireRack - 295/40ZR-21 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 XL

Just wanted to say that the ride quality is great... low noise.... feels like OEM... maybe even better over bumps. Thanks Audiworld guys! Dealer can suck it.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I never buy tires from a dealer. Why would you?
Old 06-01-2018, 06:01 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I am a big fan of Conti's, have had various models of them over the years and currently have the DWS06 Extreme Contacts on my middle sons Acura. IME they are a quiet, smooth riding tire with good wet & dry performance..
Old 06-01-2018, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I agree with you 100% on this (most of the time), I never use a dealer for anything other than warranty work, they charge way too much for anything else. BUT, what I have seen is dealers at times can give some great prices on tires as they can and do buy large amount of the same tire and can pass the savings on to the customer. It doesn't sound like this is happening for the OP but I have seen dealers do price matching or beating prices from other sellers. Just a FYI. Again, I'll never use a dealer for anything other than warranty work. Just my .02
Old 06-01-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I've got a great relationship with my dealer. I had a ton of mods done by them on my S4. Plenty of freebies, extras, perks, etc over the years. I buy my mechanic breakfast or lunch any chance I get.

So I had to bring my Q7 in for some warranty work on my driver's lumbar. The first thing the service adviser did was to start rubbing my passenger front tire, licking his chops and thinking that he had a sucker who had no other tire options. I reminded him of the "paid-for" rotation that he recommended at 10k miles so that we had documentation in case there was abnormal wear. Turns out that was total BS.

Since the wheel sizes are 21's, choices are extremely limited. Tire Rack won't even "guarantee" that these will fit. But they do, and I hope to get way more than 20k miles from this set. Anyone else have mileage estimates with these?
Old 06-01-2018, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Just out of curiosity... Did you consider the Pirelli Scorpion Zero's in the 285/40 instead? The new Q7's ordered with 21" wheels with the selected all season option get AO (audi original) Scorpion Zeros. I believe the Scorpion Zero's are $5 more a tire.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mjship2001
Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Just out of curiosity... Did you consider the Pirelli Scorpion Zero's in the 285/40 instead? The new Q7's ordered with 21" wheels with the selected all season option get AO (audi original) Scorpion Zeros. I believe the Scorpion Zero's are $5 more a tire.
Nope... but thanks for the suggestion. I like Contis... and I run Pirellis on another ride.

Maybe next time around on the Q7. Which gets the most mileage?

Attachment 105116

Last edited by GeoJoe; 06-01-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hiopefully the DWS will work out for ya. Several here seem to be happy with them. I had done the same after my summer 21” OEM Contis wore out. The DWS was great at first and then about 2k miles into them the issues started. Ride went from plush to rough and lots of vibration feedback in the steering wheel. Turns out by 3k miles on them they were all cupped, my alignment was now off and the tires had to come off. Not sure if it was a fluke or if the 295 size caused the issue. My alignment was checked and fine prior to them going on and the car only driven by me had zero pot holes or anything else that could have caused and alignment issue. Only change was the tires.

The best part was Audi blames the tires and Conti blamed the car. Oh wait, no, the really best part was that none of it would be covered by either of them since it was the improper size. Do not think anyone else has reported issues but keep in mind you will likely be all on your own $ wise should they have any issues. I went back to the OEM summer Conti and so far 8k miles in and they are wearing well and still butter smooth. The proper size All Seasons that you can get now in 21” were not avail then or perhaps I would have tried those.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Hiopefully the DWS will work out for ya. Several here seem to be happy with them. I had done the same after my summer 21” OEM Contis wore out. The DWS was great at first and then about 2k miles into them the issues started. Ride went from plush to rough and lots of vibration feedback in the steering wheel. Turns out by 3k miles on them they were all cupped, my alignment was now off and the tires had to come off. Not sure if it was a fluke or if the 295 size caused the issue. My alignment was checked and fine prior to them going on and the car only driven by me had zero pot holes or anything else that could have caused and alignment issue. Only change was the tires.

The best part was Audi blames the tires and Conti blamed the car. Oh wait, no, the really best part was that none of it would be covered by either of them since it was the improper size. Do not think anyone else has reported issues but keep in mind you will likely be all on your own $ wise should they have any issues. I went back to the OEM summer Conti and so far 8k miles in and they are wearing well and still butter smooth. The proper size All Seasons that you can get now in 21” were not avail then or perhaps I would have tried those.
Interesting... thanks for the review. PSI was checked early and often? 32 / 35ish cold?
Old 01-28-2019, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey fellow Q7 folks - How are the 295/40ZR-21 CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS working out for you guys? I am about to replace my summer Conti's and cant find a good tire other than than a Pirelli, which I am not a fan of.

Quick Reply: Replacement for OEM tires - 295/40ZR-21 Continental Extreme Contact DWS