Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

retrofitting night vision to 2018 Q7 prestige w/ driver assist???

Old 02-26-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retrofitting night vision to 2018 Q7 prestige w/ driver assist???

Hi Everybody - Thank you all for this great help-site.
- Does anyone have any info about whether it is possible - errr, easily feasible that is - to retrofit the Audi night vision to a 2018 Q7 prestige with driver assist, so that it is essentially the same as the order option, the factory install?
Cheers!
Old 02-26-2019, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

sell your Q and get one with it.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

But if you really want to add features Kufatec have just about everything you. need. But prepare for some work
Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by daffyd
Hi Everybody - Thank you all for this great help-site.
- Does anyone have any info about whether it is possible - errr, easily feasible that is - to retrofit the Audi night vision to a 2018 Q7 prestige with driver assist, so that it is essentially the same as the order option, the factory install?
Cheers!
Not worth it. The feature is ok at best.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this feature and in two years have actually used it once. Sure it's cool, but it's more distracting than anything else and by the time you see a 'yellow' square around an animal or pedestrian, you actually SEE them. If you drive in heavy fog or snow more than 50% of the time and think it will make you feel safer staring at the black and white image, do it! I recently bought a Q8 and glad I saved money not having it. Good luck
Old 02-26-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by shugs
I have this feature and in two years have actually used it once. Sure it's cool, but it's more distracting than anything else and by the time you see a 'yellow' square around an animal or pedestrian, you actually SEE them. If you drive in heavy fog or snow more than 50% of the time and think it will make you feel safer staring at the black and white image, do it! I recently bought a Q8 and glad I saved money not having it. Good luck
I live in a hot (Houston) climate and this doesn’t work in warm weather either which is most of the year here.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shugs
I have this option on my Q7 and would agree with the above. After seeing a video of the night vision, my wife thought it was mandatory in any new vehicle when we were shopping last year, due to the heavy local deer population. We were wrong. It's generally useless out here in the boonies of North Dakota.

I would also note that this adds another extremely expensive camera lens to the front of your car, just begging to collect a rock to smash the lens and cost you your insurance deductible plus lots of time. I am dealing with this exact situation currently, with the nearest Audi dealer four hours away! Not only that, but the lens part is out of stock in the U.S. and takes a month to get from Germany.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My camera had had repairs performed twice due to software issues. They fixed it by adding washers according to a recently released TSB. I use them on long distance trips and do not find them useful. Also I once had a false positive warning for animal.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I did a lot of research regarding this feature before ordering the Q. It was the one feature I agonized about. I live in the burbs but in what will qualify as rural with windy, unlit, two-lane roads, and lots of deer and fox. But all the research led me to what all the actual users of this feature are saying on this thread. Its neat, but stiil not ready for primetime, and the UI is more distracting than useful. I'm glad I skipped.

OP- either buy a car with the feature, or forget about it
Old 02-27-2019, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Could certainly do without it, but I had it on my previous X5 and my current Q7, and it's actually useful. Not as useful as windshield wipers or power steering, and not all the time, but at specific times and places, yes, I'm glad I have it. Having it in the X5 was the decision point. We live in a suburban area, but with lots of wildlife, particularly at dusk and dawn, with long stretches in wooded areas, and I frequently use it driving in those conditions, and it has alerted me several times when I wouldn't otherwise have had warnings about road hazards. It's just another driver aid, useful but not necessary, and whether it's worth the cost is up to the owner. To me, it is, but I suspect a retrofit would be fabulously expensive and not worth the squeeze.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: retrofitting night vision to 2018 Q7 prestige w/ driver assist???