Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 / Q8 > Audi Q7 > Q7 MKII Discussion
Reload this Page >

retrofitting night vision to 2018 Q7 prestige w/ driver assist???

Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

retrofitting night vision to 2018 Q7 prestige w/ driver assist???

Old 02-27-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I consider my '14 night vision 2% useful and this is only with dense fog.

It's totally dumb having the nv screen down in the instrument cluster. It causes you to be inattentive driving forcing you to look down the whole time.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Verybumpy View Post
I consider my '14 night vision 2% useful and this is only with dense fog.

It's totally dumb having the nv screen down in the instrument cluster. It causes you to be inattentive driving forcing you to look down the whole time.
Actually mine doesn't work at all in dense fog usually, nor did my X5 system - depending on ambient temperature, fog tends to wash out any temperature gradient. That's one of the limitations, along with detecting objects when the temperature is over about 80F. And looking at the screen is a distraction in any system, whether it's the instrument cluster or a popup as on the BMW, so just like following the Nav, the driver should exercise judgement. Fortunately, the HUD provides some information to the driver.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I mostly pick up up people darting/waltzing across dark streets here in WA. Especially in Federal Way and Seattle. I had a handful of negative hits and a few positive where one i totally didn't see the person not sure why. Since I have I turn it on every night to get my money worth lol. But it not distracting as I don't stare at it, but glance it like when I glance at the speedo. I normally take a peek as I come round a street corner or crest over a hill or so. The best hit I had was a hiddnen cop car that was glowing.Its Def not needed but for me it have it's uses. Not worth cost of a retrofit imo unless it's 100 bucks lol
Old 02-27-2019, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Had a close call at night with a homeless person crossing unlit freeway. Glad to have had night vision. Donít think I had a chance to stop otherwise.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with the Kufatec comment Iíd bet they can help. Otherwise maybe finding a totaled out Q7 would help. Certainly would help me for some retrofits I want to do. Iíve got the night vision, there may be a few things I can do to help, wiring wise. Sometimes it helps just to know where wires are running exactly. DO IT!
Old 03-02-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BryonL View Post
I agree with the Kufatec comment Iíd bet they can help. Otherwise maybe finding a totaled out Q7 would help. Certainly would help me for some retrofits I want to do. Iíve got the night vision, there may be a few things I can do to help, wiring wise. Sometimes it helps just to know where wires are running exactly. DO IT!
Remember thereís also the washer system and associated pumps and wiring. Itís a $2500 option from the factory so Iíd say thereís a fair number of parts involved.