Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Rolling sound from Passenger side door

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolling sound from Passenger side door

In my 2018 Q7, I am getting a rolling sound from the passenger side door. The sound is as if a small plastic/metal ball or a small but/bolt is rolling somewhere. Has anyone ever faced it?
Old 06-05-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you take it to a dealer? If it's under warranty just have them check it out. Way too many things can come loose to speculate what it could be.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That is on the card, I am looking for an appointment with loaner. Was checking in this forum, if this is something quicker solution or will it take longer :-)
Old 06-05-2019, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

No idea but my 2016 X5 had that same exact issue. Never found what it was in the 3 years I had it.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a 2017 CPO had this rolling noise from the beginning coming from the middle compartment, I was thinking I'm going adjust to that but I couldn't they found a wooden ball , probably one of kids of previous owner placed it inside ventilation vent, they didn't charge me but showed an impression that they've made me a big favor. It changed my life I feel like I drive a new car now , lol.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The weird thing is that I purchased this brand new from Audi of Tacoma. Had a real bad experience there with their sales person Mike. Anyways, they did not pay any attention to the concern I raised about some rattling noise from doors, so I had to get it fixed with Audi of Seattle. All this happened in 2 months only. And immediately after the door noise issue, I started hearing the rolling sound. Updated the Audi Seattle about it, they mentioned the same, that there might have been some toys or something fallen from the open vents below the 1st row seats. They will require me to have the car with them for some time (last time they took 2 days for doors rattle), to address the issue. Also, if they found the rolling noise to be due to the some toys, etc. warranty will not cover it. So I am a bit skeptical. Trying to get adjusted to the mild rolling sound that I am getting, but its hard.
All I am looking for is a silent car when I have paid 80k for it. I am pretty new to Audi, hence, asking.. what do you guys suggest, should I sit on Audi'd head or try to adjust?
Old 06-06-2019, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Shailesh srivastava
The weird thing is that I purchased this brand new from Audi of Tacoma. Had a real bad experience there with their sales person Mike. Anyways, they did not pay any attention to the concern I raised about some rattling noise from doors, so I had to get it fixed with Audi of Seattle. All this happened in 2 months only. And immediately after the door noise issue, I started hearing the rolling sound. Updated the Audi Seattle about it, they mentioned the same, that there might have been some toys or something fallen from the open vents below the 1st row seats. They will require me to have the car with them for some time (last time they took 2 days for doors rattle), to address the issue. Also, if they found the rolling noise to be due to the some toys, etc. warranty will not cover it. So I am a bit skeptical. Trying to get adjusted to the mild rolling sound that I am getting, but its hard.
All I am looking for is a silent car when I have paid 80k for it. I am pretty new to Audi, hence, asking.. what do you guys suggest, should I sit on Audi'd head or try to adjust?
They'll pin this on you, but say there are no toys in this vehicle or kids for that matter (how do they know). Treat this like a strange noise...no need to bring up toys etc, and challenge them when they do. Insist the look at it under warranty. Look, i believe everything can be handled if approached properly. Speak to a different SA or even the Service Manager, and explain the issue nicely and start again.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe they dropped a bolt or something in the vent when they did the door work?
Old 06-06-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same doubt.
I am setting up an appointment for later this month, lets see how it goes. Will update the thread with outcome. Thanks a ton guys, it was really helpful
Old 06-07-2019, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Audi of Seattle have fixed my driver’s noise several times (2 or 3 times in 2.5 years). They did a very good job each time. They either added some foam? or lubricrated the seals. Anyway they could locate the noise every time. And some noise it took a long time for them to find.
Other than the noise and the fuel rail recall, I’m really happy with the car. The tire noise is getting worse after 20k, even the tires are in excellent condition, checked by Discount Tires