Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

RS style grille replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS style grille replacement

I would like to replace the grille and spoke with my local Audi dealer to see if there is anything else involved than just the physical swap. They stated when swapping the grille the parking sensors and front cam need to be reprogrammed which is a 7 hour process..wth? The camera upon power loss needs to be programmed to allow the alignment lines to come back into play. Can anyone else verify if this is true?
Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on, It's just bull**** what Audi is clamining. If you are familliar with DIY you might swap it by yourself. If it has PDC and camera brakets as they claim, its just click out click in. I made some time ago swap of Q3 to SQ3 style grill and it was easy job.

One thing you might suffer ts that if you have warranty Audi might void it. I heard recently that they void warranty to a guy which replaced at his RS3 air intake from plastic to carbon.

Second these grills are made in China and are much cheaper. Chinese guys accept paypa and other methodsl and I had good experience.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...6760138f1jQuZ7

I believe I bought mine from a second one and it went super fine. You can see here http://www.audiq3forum.com/forum/mem...-audi-sq3.html

Last edited by rafi.kadafi; 03-24-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rafi.kadafi
Come on, It's just bull**** what Audi is clamining. If you are familliar with DIY you might swap it by yourself. If it has PDC and camera brakets as they claim, its just click out click in. I made some time ago swap of Q3 to SQ3 style grill and it was easy job.

One thing you might suffer ts that if you have warranty Audi might void it. I heard recently that they void warranty to a guy which replaced at his RS3 air intake from plastic to carbon.

Second these grills are made in China and are much cheaper. Chinese guys accept paypa and other methodsl and I had good experience.

I believe I bought mine from a second one and it went super fine. You can see here Audi Q3 Forum - rafi.kadafi's Album: 2016 Audi SQ3
I found it hard to believe as well. I asked the shop foreman for more detail. He stated when the camera losses power it stores a fault code which can only be cleared by re programming.
I did ask if this will void the warranty and they said it would not.
I wonder if body changes are acceptable where as in the case you mentioned any sort of engine mod is not?
Old 03-25-2018, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RingsMk2
I found it hard to believe as well. I asked the shop foreman for more detail. He stated when the camera losses power it stores a fault code which can only be cleared by re programming.
I wonder if body changes are acceptable where as in the case you mentioned any sort of engine mod is not?
I had my MKI Q7 grill and front bumper changed. It didn't have front camera but the parking sensors continued to work without issues (maybe in a different position slightly but worked nicely for many years).
The car also had rear view camera and had a dead (empty) battery a few times after sitting for few months at a time. Camera and all other systems continued to work without any issues (including guide lines) after the battery was charged. I'm not absolutely sure but the talk about reprogramming sounds like BS to me. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the sensors and camera realigned just in case but if the brackets are in the same positions (which they should be) then I don't think any programming needs to be done.

I'm also thinking about switching the grill to the RS style.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RingsMk2
Come on, another BS to suck money out from you. PDC, bumper side indicators, camera and if you have headlight washer are on the same harness which has to be disconnected when deinstalling front bumper.

Camera and PDC control unit is still in the car with power on and harness just give power to PDC and camera, no memory function aligment, nothing.

There might be fault they there was loss of power but it's nothing a can be deleted using VCDS in 3 second.

I advise that if you do not feel like DIY just go to other garage not official Audi.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:51 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ummm... if the camera looses power, then it takes 7 hours to reprogram? What? Lets think about this...
1. your battery dies, and you need to replace it. Now we need to reprogram the camera for 7 hours?
2. is there some form of backup battery in the car just for this camera? What if it dies?

Now... it MIGHT be a point that if you move where the camera is mounted, that it needs re-aligned... but if it is THAT sensitive, well... i don't know how it works with Adaptive chassis which is always moving the car around.
The following users liked this post:
NikkiA7 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Yes, a fault code is logged when something loses power (disconnecting the puddle lights will log a code in BCM). You don't get a check engine light or anything, it's just a background code.

If you use OBDEleven, or any other code reader, you'll find your car is most likely tossing these "little" codes over nothing. Mine occasionally logs a code for the rear map lights. It's a 5 second job to clear them.

Honestly, it sounds like it's time you find a new dealership. Those guys are either not experienced, or flat out crooks.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Front and rear camera lines are "painted" on camera image, but they are taken from the sensors connected to steering wheel angel sensor.

I looked inside ELSA WIN and there is . no information that something needs to be align after grill exchange. full stop.

Last edited by rafi.kadafi; 03-25-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I do have the Prestige model with adaptive chassis and don't know if that is a factor or not. I agree with you folks here and thanks for the feedback. I think my stealership is trying to get an extra almost $1,600 from me when it's not needed.
Though at this point it seems all speculatory though. Out of curiosity, has anyone actually replaced the grille on their Q7 yet and can say for sure?
Old 03-25-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This so pisses me off. Porsche tries to pull the same crap. People were going to Porsche to have their 911 battery replaced. Porsche was charging for the battery, for the installation, all ok so far. But in addition they charge for battery programming. WTF. They claim you have to program the battery to charge correctly. When I asked my Porsche indie shop, that worked for Porsche for 18 years about this, he almost peed himself laughing. He said yeah some dealers were getting people to pay for that totally BS service. He thinks it’s more about making people paranoid about doing work themselves, thus losing money they could be stealing from us.

Quick Reply: RS style grille replacement