Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Samsung S9 AA and Waze Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Samsung S9 AA and Waze Issues

Just bought a new Samsung S9. There is an issue with Android Auto and Waze. Please help in as a dummy down no tech speak as possible.
Tried a connector from mini usb to a USB C but that isn't working. I mention this because from some of the technical stuff on the net it might just be that I need a new Q7 compatible cable.
I have a week or so left to return the phone but I think this thing is correctible. Anyone out there please help? Including the specs on the right cable to use etc?
Thanks so much.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GBMILTON
Just bought a new Samsung S9. There is an issue with Android Auto and Waze. Please help in as a dummy down no tech speak as possible.
Tried a connector from mini usb to a USB C but that isn't working. I mention this because from some of the technical stuff on the net it might just be that I need a new Q7 compatible cable.
I have a week or so left to return the phone but I think this thing is correctible. Anyone out there please help? Including the specs on the right cable to use etc?
Thanks so much.
Well you haven't mentioned what the issue is..is it not working period? Do you have AA working and Waze isn't - please clarify more. Typically with Samsung's they work better with oem cable.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for responding and sorry I was so brief. I know that this issue is out there and if you have the S9 you will know what it is. It's too technical for me.

It worked in my Q with my HTC phone. AA works on my new S9 cell. When I connect the cell it brings up Waze on the MMI ok, calculates the route but nothing happens beyond Drive to the route or whatever the initial direction is. It doesn't go beyond "go to the route", it just stays there.

From what I could see at the AA forum it just ,might be a cable. The cable that came with the Samsung charger doesn't work. So if I need a new cable that will work with the Q all I know is it needs to be a USB c and I think a 3.1, whatever that means but some are also saying a 3.0...I too old for this :-)

Thanks
Old 07-02-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

What you describe isn't a connection issue, because AA stays connected and is projecting to your car screen.

I believe it's a Waze-specific issue with the S9 interacting with how Samsung decides to deal with power management of apps that are using GPS with the screen off.

can you try changing your Samsung's power-saving mode to "off" and see if that solves the symptoms here? That will help diagnose if this is indeed the issue.

Thanks for responding and sorry I was so brief. I know that this issue is out there and if you have the S9 you will know what it is. It's too technical for me.

It worked in my Q with my HTC phone. AA works on my new S9 cell. When I connect the cell it brings up Waze on the MMI ok, calculates the route but nothing happens beyond Drive to the route or whatever the initial direction is. It doesn't go beyond "go to the route", it just stays there.

From what I could see at the AA forum it just ,might be a cable. The cable that came with the Samsung charger doesn't work. So if I need a new cable that will work with the Q all I know is it needs to be a USB c and I think a 3.1, whatever that means but some are also saying a 3.0...I too old for this :-)

Thanks
Old 07-02-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, something is not adding up. The cable looks like it's working - you just need a USB 3.1 Male to USB C
So something like this
Amazon Amazon

So not sure the cable is the issue because you are saying that AA is showing up on the MMI.

With Waze, it's tricky - you have to use MMI **** and turn it maybe 5-6 times to the right and it will highlight the "go" button and that will start working. Let me know if that works. BTW I'm in Mass as well, where are you located?
Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
What you describe isn't a connection issue, because AA stays connected and is projecting to your car screen.

I believe it's a Waze-specific issue with the S9 interacting with how Samsung decides to deal with power management of apps that are using GPS with the screen off.

can you try changing your Samsung's power-saving mode to "off" and see if that solves the symptoms here? That will help diagnose if this is indeed the issue.
This article should tell you how to turn this mode to "OFF". I'm not saying this is an ideal solution, but should help diagnose what's causing the problem.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-216751/
Old 07-02-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree the cable isn't the issue here. However, AA will override the phone's ability to sleep. This works fine on my wife's S7.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks
Actually there is potentially another diagnosis for what you describe ..... are you stuck on the screen where you see the route calculation and a "GO" button? you have to twirl a couple of times with the **** until you see a very faint highlight on the GO button then click it to actually start navigating. Waze on AA doesn't have the best UI for controllers.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I saw this mentioned in the AA forum and I did turn it off as well as disconnected wifi before I got into the car. Going over to the dealer who said they can help. When I get back I'll let you know.
Thanks
Old 07-03-2018, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, even though I'm really embarrassed and don't want to post the "solution" out of respect for those who responded and in hopes that future purchases of a new phone have a similar experience, I will anyway.

So I went to the dealer I purchased my Q from and they put a couple of guys on the "case". One of them uses an S9 and they took a test drive with his phone to see if it works with AA Google maps as he doesn't use Waze. While waiting I went to my Waze app on the new phone and went through it thinking I'd remove and then re-install. Well it seems that the Waze app on the new phone did not transfer from my old phone but was one of the bundled apps. I had to register the app as if new. As I already had an account it was easy.

In summation: I use the Audi cable I had with the micro end with a USB c adapter which works fine. (started another thread on this)I ignored all the past problems about the S9 on the web as they all seem to have been addressed. Plugged it in and it worked.

Hope this is helpful for those thinking about a new phone.

Last edited by GBMILTON; 07-03-2018 at 02:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rmaccara (12-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Samsung S9 AA and Waze Issues