Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Seat Discoloration Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have to wonder if the ventilated seats might have this problem worse due to the holes. Most of the photos seem to show the stain in and around the holes in ventilated seats. Many vehicles have a light weight fabric under the leather in vented seats. Could it really be the fabric that is staining in some cases?
Old 06-23-2019, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I no longer have my Q7 owners manual (recently traded it in), but interestingly in my new 2019 Cayenne manual under the leather care section, I noticed a paragraph directed specifically at vented seats. This is in addition to sections talking about caring for non vented seats and the leather interior in general. It states the vented seats can stain from rain water etc and given a separate section devoted to this, t appears the VW group is being proactive on a potential issue (that really should not be an issue) See scan below...

Old 06-23-2019, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting. I suspect the holes are created after the dye and finish process so the interior leather is exposed on the inside of the holes. Perhaps making them more likely to pick up stain.

Bottom line is be sure that your bottom is dry before bottoming out on the seats. Good luck for those living on the Pacific NW coast!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your post. Seats look great and I will try and remove ,my stains using same technique
Old 06-25-2019, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The used q7 I bought had a very large discoloration on the bottom of the passenger seat (cedar brown). It looks like something was spilled on it. I bought a few different things and thought I would share what helped me.

Lexol didnt do much for me initially. I used a brush, towel, and scrubbed but it didn't help that much. It would probably help with lighter stains though.
After watching detailing videos I bought a steamer meant for cleaning from amazon for about $30. I put a towel over the head and rubbed it back and forth and was able to pull the stain out with the help of lexol. The heat opens the pores on the leather.
The leather was stiff where the stain was. Leatherique made a huge difference. I only bought their rejuvenating oil and massaged it in several times. Next time I will try their cleaner when I get a stain.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by billm0066
The used q7 I bought had a very large discoloration on the bottom of the passenger seat (cedar brown). It looks like something was spilled on it. I bought a few different things and thought I would share what helped me.

Lexol didnt do much for me initially. I used a brush, towel, and scrubbed but it didn't help that much. It would probably help with lighter stains though.
After watching detailing videos I bought a steamer meant for cleaning from amazon for about $30. I put a towel over the head and rubbed it back and forth and was able to pull the stain out with the help of lexol. The heat opens the pores on the leather.
The leather was stiff where the stain was. Leatherique made a huge difference. I only bought their rejuvenating oil and massaged it in several times. Next time I will try their cleaner when I get a stain.
Just be careful with a lot of rubbing and cleaning products on the cedar brown. As beautiful and fine as the cedar leather is, too much aggressive cleaning will cause color transfer of the brown. Particularly sensitive are the bolsters and door arm rests.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Just be careful with a lot of rubbing and cleaning products on the cedar brown. As beautiful and fine as the cedar leather is, too much aggressive cleaning will cause color transfer of the brown. Particularly sensitive are the bolsters and door arm rests.
Yeah I had a little bit on the rag but the seat still looks great. There was a small scratch I had touched up by a leather repair person and you cant see it anymore. Those guys do amazing work.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,162 Likes on 909 Posts

I swear by chemical guys leather cleaner and conditioner. Two separate products...
I hear good things about Lexol and there are many other good products out there... just research on an auto detailing forum like autogeek....
Old 06-26-2019, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue on mine where some black spots were appearing randomly. This was very visible in the sun and depending how I looked at the seats. The harder I was washing these spots the bigger they became. What I discovered is that the grey areas were in fact the dirty ones. I guess dirt/dust accumulated on the side of the perforated leather holes and I could not get to them with a regular cloth.

What I did is to purchase a round brush and started applying the leather cleaner with it one portion at a time.
Spray the cleaner on the brush, apply to a small section (3"x3" max) making the product to foam, wipe right away with a microfiber towel (to limit humidity penetration), repeat.
After that apply your favorite leather cream conditioner and ...voila ...
Took me a while but the results are amazing.

For info I use the chemical guys leather cleaner and conditioner.
The following users liked this post:
A665 (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

@UKAudi2408

I’m dealing with this issue on my perforated seats. Please comment on your modified technique.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by A665; 10-22-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Seat Discoloration Help