Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Seattle snowmageddon

Old 02-09-2019, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Seattle snowmageddon

For the folks in the Seattle area, how are your Qs doing out there?

Old 02-09-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Handled it just fine for me, it rarely slipped as long as I wasn't on pure ice. Looks like stock tires aren't bad for winter driving and weight of the car helps it. Heated seats/wheel/massage is a plus in slower commutes I was also pleasently surprised to see adaptive cruise didn't shutdown immediately, although camers quickly became useless with all the mud.

My previous car (also an AWD SUV with M+S tires) didn't handle snow well until I switch tires to Michelin M+S ones and its radar sensor got blocked very quickly in snow.

Last edited by SarhoshAmiral; 02-09-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did just fine in Madison Park getting through my icy alleyway and down a pretty steep hill to a main road. Coming back up the hill was no problem. On stock tires with 25k miles...will pickup a dedicated set of snow tires next winter for sure.

Can we use chains with the internal clearances? Or any specific brand?
Just about to RTFM but asking anyways.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Up near Cougar Mountain here ... got a couple steep hills near home but been OK. Slid a couple times even on very slight braking. Like @jonfran21 I'm looking for snow chains for future snowmageddon ... Been having trouble find ones for my tire size: 285/45R20. The hills around my home are just too steep. Without good ground-contact traction, AWD and the AW-Breaking may not be sufficient. If no luck finding chains, I may bite the bullet and get the OEM snow wheels & tires.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jonfran21
Did just fine in Madison Park getting through my icy alleyway and down a pretty steep hill to a main road. Coming back up the hill was no problem. On stock tires with 25k miles...will pickup a dedicated set of snow tires next winter for sure.

Can we use chains with the internal clearances? Or any specific brand?
Just about to RTFM but asking anyways.
I am planning to get Autosocks for next time, even though I know it won't snow again for 5 years if I purchase them
Old 02-10-2019, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

my oem goodyear eagle sport with 28k+ miles did fine last couple days driving in lowlands and steep hills with snow and ice. however, i plan to buy dedicated winters for next winter, just for peace of mind.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SarhoshAmiral
I am planning to get Autosocks for next time, even though I know it won't snow again for 5 years if I purchase them
@SarhoshAmiral where are you getting them?
Old 02-10-2019, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you guys even own shovels? I mean, thats not a lot of snow, but if unprepared, thats a nightmare
Old 02-10-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I picked up a set of autosocks in case I have to drive on the pass ($500 fine if you don’t have them) but the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s have been amazing. I drove to Crystal Mountain on Friday evening in the chaos with no problem. Then last night around 7:30pm I drove home. Snow, Ice and so forth with ZERO problems. My car looks like hell from all the road grime, snow and built up ice but it will get a nice bath in a week or two. The fact that they think Autosocks will perform better than my Hakkas is crazy. I was driving up large hills on a sheet of ice and not a bit of a slipping. I actually tried to get it to break loose and it was tough.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi
@SarhoshAmiral where are you getting them?
They sell them on eBay and Amazon same prices, I have the 20" tires AS698 seems to be the right fit. I was just waiting for a 15% ebay coupon which they seem to have every few months, didn't realize it would snow this bad in February

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seattle snowmageddon