AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Seattle snowmageddon (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/seattle-snowmageddon-2966956/)

Dasaint 02-09-2019 05:30 AM

Seattle snowmageddon

For the folks in the Seattle area, how are your Qs doing out there?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...fdf3e2a3cb.jpg

SarhoshAmiral 02-09-2019 10:04 AM

Handled it just fine for me, it rarely slipped as long as I wasn't on pure ice. Looks like stock tires aren't bad for winter driving and weight of the car helps it. Heated seats/wheel/massage is a plus in slower commutes :) I was also pleasently surprised to see adaptive cruise didn't shutdown immediately, although camers quickly became useless with all the mud.

My previous car (also an AWD SUV with M+S tires) didn't handle snow well until I switch tires to Michelin M+S ones and its radar sensor got blocked very quickly in snow.

jonfran21 02-10-2019 09:06 AM

Did just fine in Madison Park getting through my icy alleyway and down a pretty steep hill to a main road. Coming back up the hill was no problem. On stock tires with 25k miles...will pickup a dedicated set of snow tires next winter for sure.

Can we use chains with the internal clearances? Or any specific brand?
Just about to RTFM but asking anyways.

Keyser Wi 02-10-2019 09:59 AM

Up near Cougar Mountain here ... got a couple steep hills near home but been OK. Slid a couple times even on very slight braking. Like @jonfran21 I'm looking for snow chains for future snowmageddon ... Been having trouble find ones for my tire size: 285/45R20. The hills around my home are just too steep. Without good ground-contact traction, AWD and the AW-Breaking may not be sufficient. If no luck finding chains, I may bite the bullet and get the OEM snow wheels & tires.

SarhoshAmiral 02-10-2019 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by jonfran21 (Post 25274397)
Did just fine in Madison Park getting through my icy alleyway and down a pretty steep hill to a main road. Coming back up the hill was no problem. On stock tires with 25k miles...will pickup a dedicated set of snow tires next winter for sure.

Can we use chains with the internal clearances? Or any specific brand?
Just about to RTFM but asking anyways.

I am planning to get Autosocks for next time, even though I know it won't snow again for 5 years if I purchase them :)

FBO 335i 02-10-2019 01:01 PM

my oem goodyear eagle sport with 28k+ miles did fine last couple days driving in lowlands and steep hills with snow and ice. however, i plan to buy dedicated winters for next winter, just for peace of mind.

Keyser Wi 02-10-2019 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by SarhoshAmiral (Post 25274501)
I am planning to get Autosocks for next time, even though I know it won't snow again for 5 years if I purchase them :)

@SarhoshAmiral where are you getting them?

BigKutta 02-10-2019 01:19 PM

Do you guys even own shovels? I mean, thats not a lot of snow, but if unprepared, thats a nightmare

PeteDin206 02-10-2019 01:23 PM

I picked up a set of autosocks in case I have to drive on the pass ($500 fine if you don’t have them) but the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s have been amazing. I drove to Crystal Mountain on Friday evening in the chaos with no problem. Then last night around 7:30pm I drove home. Snow, Ice and so forth with ZERO problems. My car looks like hell from all the road grime, snow and built up ice but it will get a nice bath in a week or two. The fact that they think Autosocks will perform better than my Hakkas is crazy. I was driving up large hills on a sheet of ice and not a bit of a slipping. I actually tried to get it to break loose and it was tough.

SarhoshAmiral 02-10-2019 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi (Post 25274518)
@SarhoshAmiral where are you getting them?

They sell them on eBay and Amazon same prices, I have the 20" tires AS698 seems to be the right fit. I was just waiting for a 15% ebay coupon which they seem to have every few months, didn't realize it would snow this bad in February