Notices
Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Seattle snowmageddon

Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PeteDin206 View Post
I picked up a set of autosocks in case I have to drive on the pass ($500 fine if you donít have them) but the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s have been amazing. I drove to Crystal Mountain on Friday evening in the chaos with no problem. Then last night around 7:30pm I drove home. Snow, Ice and so forth with ZERO problems. My car looks like hell from all the road grime, snow and built up ice but it will get a nice bath in a week or two. The fact that they think Autosocks will perform better than my Hakkas is crazy. I was driving up large hills on a sheet of ice and not a bit of a slipping. I actually tried to get it to break loose and it was tough.
PeterDin206 I'm interested. Where do you get them? Where do you store them and where do you go to get them mounted / dismounted?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SarhoshAmiral View Post
They sell them on eBay and Amazon same prices, I have the 20" tires AS698 seems to be the right fit. I was just waiting for a 15% ebay coupon which they seem to have every few months, didn't realize it would snow this bad in February
Thank you! I'm ordering these. I plan to own my Q7 for a long time so may as well get it well equipped.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Do you guys even own shovels? I mean, thats not a lot of snow, but if unprepared, thats a nightmare
There's a lot of hills in Seattle and most of the side streets or alleys never get plowed, there's like 10 plows in all of Seattle, barely enough to keep main arterials cleared when it snows. First snow last week froze overnight and ever layer on top has just created more ice.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I bought them at Les Schwab (local tire place). Discount Tire doesnít stock them. I never plan on using them unless absolutely required by law, but I spend enough time in the mountains that a $500 ticket would be annoying. Iíll stand behind my Nokian tires as the best snow tires Iíve driven on. Not even a question in my mind on that one.

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi View Post
PeterDin206 I'm interested. Where do you get them? Where do you store them and where do you go to get them mounted / dismounted?
Old 02-10-2019, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi View Post
Up near Cougar Mountain here ... got a couple steep hills near home but been OK. Slid a couple times even on very slight braking. Like jonfran21 I'm looking for snow chains for future snowmageddon ... Been having trouble find ones for my tire size: 285/45R20. The hills around my home are just too steep. Without good ground-contact traction, AWD and the AW-Breaking may not be sufficient. If no luck finding chains, I may bite the bullet and get the OEM snow wheels & tires.
I went 265/50R20 on my winter wheels. Donít bother with OEM winters, just find a set of rims that fit and get real snow tires like the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3SUV. They drive really well and youíll get 4 ďwintersĒ on them in the PacNW at least. I run them from Dec to early March and have Conti DWS06 for the other 8-9 months of the year. I went with some of the higher rated (2000lb load rating) TSW wheels. They are rock solid and not crazy expensive. Both setups allow me to drive to the mountain but the winters completely change winter driving.

Last edited by PeteDin206; 02-10-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

PeterDin206 cool... I'm thinking about getting both - snow wheels / tires combo and autosocks. Just want to be prepared due to my home's elevation. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Do you guys even own shovels? I mean, thats not a lot of snow, but if unprepared, thats a nightmare
I think its funny how its all relative. That much snow would shut Raleigh down for a week. Meanwhile people in Buffalo probably get more on their commute to work. I've had more snow stick to the hood of my car while driving through the snowbelt before.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
I think its funny how its all relative. That much snow would shut Raleigh down for a week. Meanwhile people in Buffalo probably get more on their commute to work. I've had more snow stick to the hood of my car while driving through the snowbelt before.
It is relative. If you dont ever get snow like that then the local govts dont have the resources to clean this stuff up, and every thing grinds to a halt. Even here in the DC area, due to more frequent and bigger storms, the clean up has improved significantly over the years. Now the long pole is more about you digging out of your driveway, than the roads itself.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ended up going to Discount Tires. They ordered Blizzak DM-V2 tires (vetted by Consumer Reports and the store manager who uses them) to be fitted on Asanti wheels for me, eta a couple days. Total damage $2.4k. 12-month no interest and $50 mail-in rebate. Too late for this Snowfest but feel good to be ready for next year. Discount Tires will replace wheels for free anytime...! Below is how my Q7 is gonna look like ...

This is how it's gonna look like : :
Old 02-12-2019, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black

Originally Posted by jonfran21 View Post
There's a lot of hills in Seattle and most of the side streets or alleys never get plowed, there's like 10 plows in all of Seattle, barely enough to keep main arterials cleared when it snows. First snow last week froze overnight and ever layer on top has just created more ice.
I drove every day in the snow and ice and had little slipping and never got stuck. This is in hilly NE Seattle. Had to go around some vehicles stopped in the middle of hills yesterday. I am very happy with the snow handling ability of my Audi.. Have 20 inch continentals all season oem on the car now.

Last edited by katzjamr; 02-12-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seattle snowmageddon

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: