Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Seattle snowmageddon

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Meh!!! Just another snowy day here in Yakima.
Seriously though, you guys got HAMMERED with snow. I have a set of winter wheels/tires (love my blizzarks) and had no issues. Stay safe !!!
Old 02-13-2019, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi
Ended up going to Discount Tires. They ordered Blizzak DM-V2 tires (vetted by Consumer Reports and the store manager who uses them) to be fitted on Asanti wheels for me, eta a couple days. Total damage $2.4k. 12-month no interest and $50 mail-in rebate. Too late for this Snowfest but feel good to be ready for next year. Discount Tires will replace wheels for free anytime...! Below is how my Q7 is gonna look like ...
Is snow a regular occurrence there or was that a freak storm?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It has snowed 4 out of the last 5 years if I remember correctly. It is usually just a dusting or maybe 2-3”. This was the largest snowfall for February ever though. There is still significant snow on the ground in areas. The bigger problem is the melt/refreeze that happens in the area. Usually the temps sit close to 32 degrees so everything turns to sheet ice. Thankfully that didn’t seem to happen this round. We also get A LOT of black ice when the temps do drop due to the condensation on the ground. Sadly people really don’t grasp the importance of snow/winter tires around heat as you see loads of RWD pickups with bald tires trying to drive around in the snow.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasaint
For the folks in the Seattle area, how are your Qs doing out there?
We live on Education Hill and so far we are quite impressed with the performance of the 21" Pirelli that came with the BOP. As long as it was not too icy, our Q7 got around just fine (even more fun doing some controlled drifting . We shoveled our driveway but the street was a sand-colored slushy and we did get slightly high-centered backing out of our driveway (we live on a hill). I could feel wheels spinning but then I remembered to raise the ground clearance and IT WORKED! Tires intermittently grabbed and we headed up our hilly street without even a running start.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fujinator
We live on Education Hill and so far we are quite impressed with the performance of the 21" Pirelli that came with the BOP. As long as it was not too icy, our Q7 got around just fine (even more fun doing some controlled drifting . We shoveled our driveway but the street was a sand-colored slushy and we did get slightly high-centered backing out of our driveway (we live on a hill). I could feel wheels spinning but then I remembered to raise the ground clearance and IT WORKED! Tires intermittently grabbed and we headed up our hilly street without even a running start.
I road around in all road mode with my ball in the hitch to be first point of impact just in case.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Is snow a regular occurrence there or was that a freak storm?
It does snow in Western WA, here and there...the difference was that we got about 18-24" in 3 days and it didn't really melt away or get rained out. Considering plows are near non-existent, a lot of roads became icey when the compacted snow would freeze overnight.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi
Ended up going to Discount Tires. They ordered Blizzak DM-V2 tires (vetted by Consumer Reports and the store manager who uses them) to be fitted on Asanti wheels for me, eta a couple days. Total damage $2.4k. 12-month no interest and $50 mail-in rebate. Too late for this Snowfest but feel good to be ready for next year. Discount Tires will replace wheels for free anytime...! Below is how my Q7 is gonna look like ...

This is how it's gonna look like : :
Looks great! I was told last year when I got snow tires for 2017 Q7 3.0T PP the only available ones that fit were Pirelli scorpions 285/45/R20. I want to go back to Blizzaks, what size did you get? Thanks!
Old 02-23-2019, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm currently in Taos, NM in a rented Ford Explorer, 3.2 miles on the odometer when I picked it up from ABQ, AWD/all seasons, apparently impossible to get a snow tires-equipped rental in the US, which comes standard from the same US rental Co in the winter back home in Europe (as it obviously should).

Anywho, this car is a complete joke in the winter, although I did manage to drive from Taos to Silverton CO and back in heavy snow -- a far from effortless venture, which shouldn't be pursued without snow tires. Now, when wrestling it out of the driveway in Taos this morning in 2' feet of fluffy snow, the 'snow/off road' mode broke down -- just when needed the most -- and the various sensors whined all the way up to the ski valley because it was snowing

Despite being compensated with a powerless, noisy engine with horrible fuel economy, big cupholders, a foot deep back storage hole between the front seats and a trunk space that doesn't fit anything, A-pillars that obstruct the view, a washer stalk that hides its settings behind the steering wheel etc., etc., I do miss my Q7 in the snow.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDuff
Looks great! I was told last year when I got snow tires for 2017 Q7 3.0T PP the only available ones that fit were Pirelli scorpions 285/45/R20. I want to go back to Blizzaks, what size did you get? Thanks!
​​​​​​​
Sorry for the late reply -- I got 275/45/R20. Got to test them this morning! Work great!

Ready to play in snow!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you buy? Total cost?

Been trying to lurk Craigslist for a used set of wheels or tires, but proving to be impossible to find wheels with the correct offset and tires in the right size to match the OEM.

Quick Reply: Seattle snowmageddon