Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

"Side-hop" feeling with Pirelli tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts
Default "Side-hop" feeling with Pirelli tires?

I have a 2018 Q7 Prestige (w/air suspension), which came with the Goodyear 285/45 R20 tires. Near the end of last summer, the dealer replaced the tires due to the edge feathering issue with the recommended Pirelli Scorpion run-flats. I immediately noticed that it drove differently:every time I would go over a significant bump or depression in the road, especially with only one side of the car, it would get a "side-hop" feeling. It feels like the car moves laterally a bit, and then comes back to center. This happens even if going straight, but is worse if in a corner. This characteristic was NOT there with the Goodyears, and in fact also went away when I put my winter snow tires one. Now that I've had the Pirelli's back on for a couple of months, it is driving me nuts. Does anyone else have this feeling?

A couple of more details: when I had my Q7 in for its 20K service, I was given a 2019 Q7 prestige loaner with Continental 285/45 R20 (non-runflat) tires. Again, the handling was vastly different. I used to have a Volvo V70R that had this same issue and it turned out to be very sensitive to tire type and alignment. I have no other indication that my alignment is off, and again the feeling went away with my winter tires and came back with the Pirelli's again.

I mentioned it to the dealer when I dropped off for the 20K service (along with several other issues) and they basically blew it off. They gave the impression that they had already done a favor by getting the Goodyear's replaced, so I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with them. If other people have felt this, I might just bite the bullet and get some different tires. Otherwise, I am considering going to an independent shop to have the alignment checked, but I hate to mess with it if it is OK considering that sometimes they make it worse.

Thoughts?
Thank you
Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

No side hopping for me with the Scorpions, or maybe there is and I just chalked it up to this being a big SUV
Old 05-15-2019, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a ‘17 Prestige with Pirelli RFT and note that tire pressure effects this side hop or squirm dramatically. I run Hakkapallita R2 SUV in winter and didn’t feel any of those symptoms with that setup, albeit they are 265/50/20. I’ve noticed it feels worse this spring than ever. Running higher pressure helps a lot, but the ride of my hated RFT tires degrades with increased pressure. Bad trade off. I am driving like a madman to increase wear and get into a new set of non RFT tires for summer. Although your note leaves me worried that will be a bit random in terms of how that might feel.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. This is more than "a big SUV" thing... The contrast compared to both the Goodyear's and my winter tires vs the Pirelli's is quite noticeable.

Anybody else confirm that they do or do not have this feeling with the Perilli's?
Old 05-15-2019, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mnaps
I also have a ‘17 Prestige with Pirelli RFT and note that tire pressure effects this side hop or squirm dramatically. I run Hakkapallita R2 SUV in winter and didn’t feel any of those symptoms with that setup, albeit they are 265/50/20. I’ve noticed it feels worse this spring than ever. Running higher pressure helps a lot, but the ride of my hated RFT tires degrades with increased pressure. Bad trade off. I am driving like a madman to increase wear and get into a new set of non RFT tires for summer. Although your note leaves me worried that will be a bit random in terms of how that might feel.
I guess nice to hear I'm not alone. Yes, higher pressure has helped, but not a huge amount. I'm running 35-36psi (32psi felt AWFUL). How high are you running?

What makes me feel better about replacing with something else is that the Goodyear's did not feel this way, neither do my Blizzak winter tires. The loaner with the Continentals felt good, so I was considering those....

Then again, if a lot of people running the Pirelli's DON'T notice this issue, maybe an alignment would help. It does seem less noticeable in the sport (lowered) suspension setting -does the camber change with the lower setting? Is the camber adjustable on the Q7 with a standard alignment?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to run 35 psi but now find I’m having to go to 37 to minimize the “feeling”. By the way I’m on standard steel suspension. If I had air suspension I might stick with the RFT...but looking at various 275 width options for replacements, non RFT.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

the dealer replaced the tires due to the edge feathering issue
Is there a recall or was that part of tire's guarantee?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Is there a recall or was that part of tire's guarantee?
TSB A441766 2048563 addresses the tire edge feathering in the Goodyear tires and calls for replacement with the Pirelli tires if within 12K miles/ 12 months. Several threads about it but I think this is the first and longest one: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2921226/page7/

Last edited by AlbertQ7; 05-17-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Since my issue did not seem common with the Pirelli's, I took my Q7 to my local tire shop yesterday and the right front and right rear toe settings were out of spec, the left front toe was borderline, and the total "steer ahead" angle was also off. They aligned everything beautifully and the side-hop feeling has VASTLY improved. Now I'm sensitized to it so I still feel it just a bit, but otherwise it would probably not be noticeable to anyone else. It is certainly good enough now to keep the tires and not look for replacements at this time.

Before

After
Old 05-17-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
TSB A441766 2048563 addresses the tire edge feathering in the Goodyear tires and calls for replacement with the Pirelli tires if within 12K miles/ 12 months. Several threads about it but I think this is the first and longest one: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2921226/page7/
I recall the posts about this, but I must have missed the recall part. I just dropped my PSI to what's recommended on door jamb sticker, while you guys did not like lower psi, I actually prefer it because i've been riding at about 38 and that felt bumpy for my comfort.