Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Snow cables size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alex904
I've attached snippet from the manual. It's from 2015 model, but 2017 has the same clause.

So they put light weight rims which somewhat improves performance, but eliminated possibility of installing chains.
They appears to be from the catalog not the manual, but I don't see that in the manual anywhere. Also, those are winter rims. I know they aren't the rims that are on the Prestige version, not sure about the other 20" rims. In the 2015 catalog, that is the only rim they say can't use chains, where they have about a dozen other rims listed without that limitation.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On our 17 q7 with 21s there is not enough clearance. Just reach over the top of the tire and you will find there is not room for a finger thickness between the tire and the suspension.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iasm
On our 17 q7 with 21s there is not enough clearance. Just reach over the top of the tire and you will find there is not room for a finger thickness between the tire and the suspension.
Mine are R20s and clearance is just enough. Same brochure notes that R21 is permitted to be fitted with chains.

Last edited by alex904; 01-27-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tnedator
They appears to be from the catalog not the manual, but I don't see that in the manual anywhere.
Yes, you're right. It's a brochure. UK version? I have exactly the same rims and they came with all-seasons. And, indeed, Q7 manual does not say anything about specific rims and tires besides "use of snow chains is permitted with certain rim/tire combination due to technical reasons". Paper I got from dealer says exactly what I quoted earlier and it forward me to the user manual. Manual says nothing.

Anyway, I've spoken with another service person. He confirmed that I can use "high performance" cables, but not chains. After hours or researching and searching I found one set of low clearance cables for 285/45-20. Ordered. Still not sure they will fit. Looks like manufacturer just released them. That's a real pain in rear because of these silly chains/cables.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, you're right. It's a brochure. UK version? I have exactly the same rims and they came with all-seasons. And, indeed, Q7 manual does not say anything about specific rims and tires besides "use of snow chains is permitted with certain rim/tire combination due to technical reasons". Paper I got from dealer says exactly what I quoted earlier and it forward me to the user manual. Manual says nothing.

Anyway, I've spoken with another service person. He confirmed that I can use "high performance" cables, but not chains. After hours or researching and searching I found one set of low clearance cables for 285/45-20. Ordered. Still not sure they will fit. Looks like manufacturer just released them. That's a real pain in rear because of these silly chains/cables.
Gotcha. The wheels coming in on my prestige are different. Big thing is they need to be class S cables, which are meant for low clearance. Had the same issue with my infiniti. Which manufacturer/model did you find?
Old 01-28-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

If those don't work out or if anyone else is looking, I went to the Peerless site and they show these three that fit the 285/45R20.

Previously the Super Z6 was the super low clearance, high performance cables. Need to do some research to see if either of the others is better.
Attached Thumbnails Snow cables size?-z-chains.jpg  
Old 01-28-2017, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tnedator
If those don't work out or if anyone else is looking, I went to the Peerless site and they show these three that fit the 285/45R20.

Previously the Super Z6 was the super low clearance, high performance cables. Need to do some research to see if either of the others is better.
Yep, that's what I found too. I ordered Peerless Z-579. Other manufacturers including Thule just don't have anything for 285/45-20.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

MAYBE WEAR ISN'T SO BAD!

Winter tires have improved a lot over the years and they wear very well. I've been running studless snows for about 15 years on various SUV's and 1/2 ton trucks. I log the mileage to keep track of rotation requirements. Basically the studless snows wear almost as good as all seasons. I have 6 seasons and over 30M on a set of Bridgestone Blizzacks (38% left) and 4 seasons and 22M on a set of Michelin X Ice (58%). I put them on in early Nov and remove in March. Travel freeways at 80-85 MPH in temps as high as 60 degrees. I suspect at higher temperatures and speed that wear might increase. There has been a lot of progress made with rubber compounds, my early gen tires rarely lasted over 20M and traction has improved over time. I never use a tire with less than 20% tread and after 4 years replace or use just around town.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yep, that's what I found too. I ordered Peerless Z-579. Other manufacturers including Thule just don't have anything for 285/45-20.
Did you try them on yet? I'm in the same situation so I called Peerless and they said that the Z-579 require a 15 mm clearance and that the SZ441 only require 10 mm of clearance. It looks like form the manual that there the cables can't add over 13.5 mm so I would assume only the SZ441 would work.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ttsai
Did you try them on yet? I'm in the same situation so I called Peerless and they said that the Z-579 require a 15 mm clearance and that the SZ441 only require 10 mm of clearance. It looks like form the manual that there the cables can't add over 13.5 mm so I would assume only the SZ441 would work.
I tried to fit them on, but did not try to drive with them on yet. So Peerless customer service recommended SZ441?

Quick Reply: Snow cables size?