Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Sound stuck on "speech dialog volume"

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sound stuck on "speech dialog volume"

This happens to me occasionally. I'll be listening to XM, but using CarPlay for mapping and texting, etc. The music is fine, but when something happens to CarPlay, it takes over the sound, and sometimes it never releases it back to the MMI sound. Even though the Virtual Cockpit shows my XM station, adjusting the volume **** shows me adjusting the Speech Dialog Volume, and not entertainment.

The only way I can get it to go back to Entertainment sound is by disconnecting my phone and reconnecting it.

Most of the time it works perfect, but occasionally (like when I get a dozen texts in a row, and the Apple Maps are giving me directions at the same time) it just gets "stuck".

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2017, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try the steering wheel volume control as well?
Old 06-21-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
Did you try the steering wheel volume control as well?
Yep. The system seems to think CarPlay is still producing audio, so it won't pop back over to entertainment.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure out fix?

i have a new A5 and same thing it happens almost daily.
I observed things that cause it.

if I plug phone as car is starting up and immediately start using phone. Normally this happens as soon as I plug phone in and I et a text and it starts to play options. It won't go back to MMI have to unplug.

i was making a Bluetooth call on the phone prior to getting into car and even though I ended the call it connects thru to carplay. All looks normal but no sound. I turn Bluetooth off my phone and it works

if I am doing a function in carplay like navigation or phone or text messages and I don't fully let Siri stop her talking by formally hitting cancel or more common she stops talking because she times out too quick for me to respond then the system gets stuck. I tried going back and fourth mmi carplay but nothing I have to unplug

other big issue with carplay especially with Audi is the input. I never use Siri on my phone because she sucks. Now with most cars carplay has multiple options to enter data. Touchscreen or virtual keys boards (chevy ford) so you can bypass Siri which is a lot faster then trying to remember specific commands to find a phone contact named John.

it is next to impossible for me to use the phone in carplay to quickly makes calls for people not in my calls list or favorites or multiple phone numbers. She times out trying to find people and I have not found a way to search the contact list
Old 06-25-2017, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I literally can not pull up a contact using Siri only and I have over 700 contacts and try scrolling with the **** to the middle it's dumb slow and not safe.

They avoid the best mmi feature on the market the **** touchpad. I find the Audi mmi to be a lot faster and it allows me during navigation to use either screen not just the 1, I get much better lane directions then carplay, and I can find things 10x faster.

the only thing that does work is the voicemail and text replay and response. BUT like op said it gets stuck at least 1 a day I found I am turning turning my Bluetooth off and. It plugging phone in my car to avoid it connecting at all
Old 06-26-2017, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjcuff1
Did you ever figure out fix?
<snip>

other big issue with carplay especially with Audi is the input. I never use Siri on my phone because she sucks.
Nope. It still gets stuck.

I disagree, though, that Siri sucks. Siri is great at doing basic simple things. "Text jjcuff", "call jjcuff", "call jjcuff office" all work great.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Fix for audio stuck on ‘Speech Dialog System’

TLDR; Press voice control button (See image below)

Alas! I have figured out a fix for this problem… at least for my 2019 A4 (Premium Plus).

I too have stumbled upon this thread after being frustrated over my Audi’s audio system getting stuck on ‘Speech Dialog System’ from time to time. It seemed to happen only when connecting my phone to Apple Car Play while the phone was attempting to process a plethora of other tasks (multiple messages/notifications at once).

I figured since it was a speech dialog problem, might as well mess around with the voice control functionality that the car comes equipped with.

All I did was press the voice control button (usually found on the steering wheel, see below) which forced Siri to activate. After giving Siri the silent treatment, the audio system was forced to switch back to the entertainment system.

Let me know if this helps any of you! Safe driving out there 🫡

Old 11-24-2023, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you!!!!!

Originally Posted by brown-boywonder94
TLDR; Press voice control button (See image below)

Alas! I have figured out a fix for this problem… at least for my 2019 A4 (Premium Plus).

I too have stumbled upon this thread after being frustrated over my Audi’s audio system getting stuck on ‘Speech Dialog System’ from time to time. It seemed to happen only when connecting my phone to Apple Car Play while the phone was attempting to process a plethora of other tasks (multiple messages/notifications at once).

I figured since it was a speech dialog problem, might as well mess around with the voice control functionality that the car comes equipped with.

All I did was press the voice control button (usually found on the steering wheel, see below) which forced Siri to activate. After giving Siri the silent treatment, the audio system was forced to switch back to the entertainment system.

Let me know if this helps any of you! Safe driving out there 🫡

thank you so much!!!!!