Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Spare Carrier - thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spare Carrier - thoughts???

(***PLEASE DON"T PREACH AT ME THAT I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A "REAL" OFF ROAD TRUCK*** - thanks)

I'm seriously considering this for the winter (I'm in Tahoe a lot and for some reason, flat tires only happen to me when its snowy and nasty). I'd have non-run-flat snows, scorpions maybe.

Thoughts?

Old 10-10-2018, 07:58 PM
alk
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like that should work. But it will probably be hideous on the clean lines of your Q7.

I wonder if a rooftop carrier would actually look better. I think it might ... in a “butch it up” kinda way, especially if you have some knobby snow tires like Blizzaks or Hakkas on the car.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alk
It seems like that should work. But it will probably be hideous on the clean lines of your Q7.

I wonder if a rooftop carrier would actually look better. I think it might ... in a “butch it up” kinda way, especially if you have some knobby snow tires like Blizzaks or Hakkas on the car.
It would look a little more butch - I put a lot of gear up there in winter - rocket box included.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

like it....if u get it post pics.

figure that opening the lift gate with kick motion might not work?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

+ 1 on a rooftop carrier or a small cargo box, enough to fit a spare - will look much better.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would for those road trips out of town if you do buy it please post pictures
Old 10-11-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I’ve driven about 1,000,000 km over 30 years and I’ve had about 5 flat tires In that time. Of those, only 1 could not have been temporarily corrected with a compressor and tire goop. I’ve been to Lake Tahoe, and it’s far from being remote. You’d be able to get a tire repaired in there, and you’ve also got Audi roadside assistance (which includes towing) should that being required. My winters aren’t even RFTs and I drive in eastern Saskatchewan. That’s remote. Caveat being that I run 19” wheels on the Q7 as lower profile tires are more susceptible to sidewall damage. I think the no spare tire thing is mostly overblown. I may change my opinion should I ever become stranded.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:16 PM
alk
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, the spare tire is really just a security blanket. I can't say I've driven 1M km, but I probably have driven about 300,000 miles. I've had a couple flat tires in that time. Once, the tire had a slow leak and I did't know until the next morning when I went out to find the rim on the ground. Even better, the spare was flat because I hadn't checked it for years and let it go flat in my ignorance. Another time, I ran over some kind of heavy iron bracket in my A4 (because I was following too closely and didn't leave enough room between me and the car in front to see and avoid the big metal thing in the road - shame on me). The front left tire was snake bit and leaking, and the back left tire was heavily damaged but holding air. Lucky for me, I only needed to use the spare for one tire, but the rear was definitely dangerous in that condition. So I understand the want (and even need) for a spare. Your experience in the Canadian wilderness is probably atypical (almost by definition - the vast amount of humanity lives near urban areas). While there might be road debris, I suspect the nature of the debris is very different. Are urban roads are more likely to result in punctures or tire damage than rural roads? (Genuine question.)

I just bought winter tires that I intend to use going back and forth to my cabin in the Colorado Rockies. It's a very rural area. There might be one mechanic in the closest town (about 10 miles from the cabin, and the town itself is pretty isolated - some 30-40 miles from the next larger community, and we're still talking maybe 20,000 people at most). It makes me nervous to drive without a spare. But I figure in my case the worst that will happen is that I'll be uncomfortable for a few hours while I try to figure out a ride to somewhere that I can get help. My family will probably be pretty pissed off. But we'll get through it, and nobody will perish...

Still, if I had a spare tire, I wouldn't even think about this.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:19 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
I’ve driven about 1,000,000 km over 30 years and I’ve had about 5 flat tires In that time. Of those, only 1 could not have been temporarily corrected with a compressor and tire goop. I’ve been to Lake Tahoe, and it’s far from being remote. You’d be able to get a tire repaired in there, and you’ve also got Audi roadside assistance (which includes towing) should that being required. My winters aren’t even RFTs and I drive in eastern Saskatchewan. That’s remote. Caveat being that I run 19” wheels on the Q7 as lower profile tires are more susceptible to sidewall damage. I think the no spare tire thing is mostly overblown. I may change my opinion should I ever become stranded.
I recently took my Q on a 4400 mile road trip - much if it was in remote locations. Not once did I worry about no spare. The last flat tire I had to deal with was back in 1996 in my 4Runner. I'm of the mind that if it happens I'll deal with it, but won't fret over it possibly happening.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I get about 1 flat per decade, half of which are slow leaks, I think I've seen catastrophic fails twice in my life.

Quick Reply: Spare Carrier - thoughts???